By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Sales Discussion - The Official July 09 NPD Thread (Data at 6:30 PM for 4 weeks ending Aug 1)

alfredofroylan said:
Soriku said:
Wonder what Nintendo will do now. Wait for more SW, or...?

Well they had MH 3 in Japan, but WSR did nothing here in America. I guess some people in Nintendo are starting to press for a price cut (or a new offer this holiday)

It's too early to say that, Iwata said himself it takes 6-8 weeks for evergreen titles to start moving consoles.  People that are buying it first week are gonna be mostly wii owners, the question is can wii sports resort get word of mouth like other wii games in the past.  First the wii owners buy it then the hope is that the more casual family and friends of these people begin to like the game, this is what happened with Wii Sports.  The main problem I see with WSR is that not all the games are as simple as Wii Sports.  Calibration is gonna be a tough concept for casuals to grasp. 

currently playing: Skyward Sword, Mario Sunshine, Xenoblade Chronicles X

Around the Network
alfredofroylan said:

Remember the inFamous "Ham Sandwich" table that Sony gave some months ago? Well is back in the Sony response to the NPD numbers.

http://www.vg247.com/2009/08/13/july-npd-ps3-is-just-getting-warmed-up-says-sony/#more-50565

Interoperability with PSP not available on Xbox 360 or Wii??? Wow .... Sony's PR at its best I guess.

I saw this on NeoGAF. I thought it was pretty damn funny.

Demon's Souls Official Thread  | Currently playing: Left 4 Dead 2, LittleBigPlanet 2, Magicka

ameratsu said:
alfredofroylan said:

Remember the inFamous "Ham Sandwich" table that Sony gave some months ago? Well is back in the Sony response to the NPD numbers.

http://www.vg247.com/2009/08/13/july-npd-ps3-is-just-getting-warmed-up-says-sony/#more-50565

Interoperability with PSP not available on Xbox 360 or Wii??? Wow .... Sony's PR at its best I guess.

I saw this on NeoGAF. I thought it was pretty damn funny.

How the hell can they create something that's so funny and yet so sad at that same time...  I wanted to laugh AND cry while reading that whole thing.

lol @ Superfrogs and Psychotext comments on the link:

PS3    360     Wii

Interoperability with PSP: YES — N/A — N/A
Plays PS3 games:               YES — N/A — N/A
Sony-branded:                   YES — N/A — N/A
PlayStation-branded:          YES — N/A — N/A
Plays PS2 games:               N/A — N/A — N/A

Sony now relies on things ps3 fanboys would say for their PR.

Demon's Souls Official Thread  | Currently playing: Left 4 Dead 2, LittleBigPlanet 2, Magicka

Wii sales are very depressing year over year, I hope Nintendo knows what they are doing to meet their projections.

Around the Network
ameratsu said:

They've been down YoY for 9 months. August will be a downer too, so that'll make 10 months of decline.

Current-gen game collection uploaded on the profile, full of win and good games; also most of my PC games. Lucasfilm Games/LucasArts 1982-2008 (Requiescat In Pace).

ameratsu said:

They've been down YoY for 9 months. August will be a downer too, so that'll make 10 months of decline.

Current-gen game collection uploaded on the profile, full of win and good games; also most of my PC games. Lucasfilm Games/LucasArts 1982-2008 (Requiescat In Pace).

TheSource said:

I'm expecting PS3/360 hardware cuts but since NPD doesn't provide weekly sales, Wii may have boosted alot in the week Wii Sports Resort was out. August will be telling in that regard. I suspect if Wii flatlines or drops in August, then yeah, we get a Wii price cut. No shame in it really, Wii came in Nov 2006 - one price cut in three years is unbelievable historically speaking.

Nintendo won't cut the price even then: they'll wait to see if NSMBWii does the job before they hit the panic button. If THAT game fails,I expect to have Nintendo admit it's completely befuddled as to where to go next, which bodes poorly since it appears that they've been laying long-term plans since the start of this gen, and changing course will be painful. This year's Nintendo release schedule certainly was...

As for Resort's effect, I think it'll manifest in a very slight bump, but one which spreads for the next few months, as people get around to 1) picking it up, and 2) showing it off to their friends. It doesn't seem to have the immediate pop culture cache that Wii Sports did, of course, but I think it can revitalize interest in some and spark it in a few others. Now they just need quality software to maintain whatever momentum they get...

alfredofroylan said:

Remember the inFamous "Ham Sandwich" table that Sony gave some months ago?

Smooth.

Whatever impact NSBWii has it probably will be too late to allow them to make up their 26 million units of Wii shipped...
They still have a good shot at coming close to their software target though...

The biggest question this raise is wether Nintendo actually understand what made the success of the Wii and what makes people purchase Wiis...

They were clearly surprised by how successfull the Wii was at release, which is why it took them so long to satisfy demand and now once again they seem to have failed to predict what the Wii sales will be for another year...
So that's 2 out of 3 years where they failed to predict accurately sales and they only did good in 2008 because they had total control on sales due to Wii being out of stock most of the year so they sold whatever amount they produced...

That doesn't mean Nintendo is doomed at all though, they are still doing fairly well and they do a much better on the handheld market at predicting consumer behavior.

But clearly they do not seem to have such a good grasp on what makes consumers purchase consoles...

PS3-Xbox360 gap : 1.5 millions and going up in PS3 favor !

PS3-Wii gap : 20 millions and going down !

TheSource said:

I'm expecting PS3/360 hardware cuts but since NPD doesn't provide weekly sales, Wii may have boosted alot in the week Wii Sports Resort was out. August will be telling in that regard. I suspect if Wii flatlines or drops in August, then yeah, we get a Wii price cut. No shame in it really, Wii came in Nov 2006 - one price cut in three years is unbelievable historically speaking.

That's not really what VGChartz numbers showed...

The only way this would be true was if Wii sales were much lower than VGChartz the first 3 weeks of July and closer to VGChartz the last week.

That would mean that on a weekly basis the number on this site are actually much more off than the monthly comparison with NPD shows...

PS3-Xbox360 gap : 1.5 millions and going up in PS3 favor !

PS3-Wii gap : 20 millions and going down !