By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Sales Discussion - The Official July 09 NPD Thread (Data at 6:30 PM for 4 weeks ending Aug 1)

TheSource said:

I'm expecting PS3/360 hardware cuts but since NPD doesn't provide weekly sales, Wii may have boosted alot in the week Wii Sports Resort was out. August will be telling in that regard. I suspect if Wii flatlines or drops in August, then yeah, we get a Wii price cut. No shame in it really, Wii came in Nov 2006 - one price cut in three years is unbelievable historically speaking.

Though if thats the case then the sales were pretty poor without WSR.

Tease.

Around the Network
XanderZane said:
senortaco said:
fastyxx said:
The 360's consistent performance YOY compared to everyone else is pretty impressive. And this is with really nothing special being released.

True. One does wonder though how it will hold up when it comes into the months of the price cut. Definintely find out in September...

Well, the XBox 360 has performed well for 3 holidays, I don't see it doing any worse for the 2009 holiday. If they get a nice bundle up there before Novemebr, they should be good to go. The Arcade systems will probably sell out like they did last year. I'm curious to see the specs on the PS3 Slim though. What did Sony remove from the innard? Hhhhm....

Agreed.  The PS3 will certainly get a bump from those waiting for the slim, but I think people underestimate the extent to which people will go for the 360 and Wii because it's what friends have.  We like to play with friends, and trade games, and talk crap about who got through which boss or earned what score/achievement, etc.  

This really hurts the PS3 in America.  In this case, an increasing lead directly influences furthering of that lead.  

Surely this isn't all buyers, but it is  definitely a factor.  When my friends come over, we play 360, and it makes them want to play 360.  My PS3 has sold a Blu-Ray player to them, but none of the semi-casuals want it.  They think it's not for them, even though it's basically the same thing as a 360 in so many ways.  They either have a Wii already or they bought/want a 360, depending.  

Can't we all just get along and play our games in peace?

fastyxx said:
XanderZane said:

Well, the XBox 360 has performed well for 3 holidays, I don't see it doing any worse for the 2009 holiday. If they get a nice bundle up there before Novemebr, they should be good to go. The Arcade systems will probably sell out like they did last year. I'm curious to see the specs on the PS3 Slim though. What did Sony remove from the innard? Hhhhm....

Agreed.  The PS3 will certainly get a bump from those waiting for the slim, but I think people underestimate the extent to which people will go for the 360 and Wii because it's what friends have.  We like to play with friends, and trade games, and talk crap about who got through which boss or earned what score/achievement, etc.  

This really hurts the PS3 in America.  In this case, an increasing lead directly influences furthering of that lead.  

Surely this isn't all buyers, but it is  definitely a factor.  When my friends come over, we play 360, and it makes them want to play 360.  My PS3 has sold a Blu-Ray player to them, but none of the semi-casuals want it.  They think it's not for them, even though it's basically the same thing as a 360 in so many ways.  They either have a Wii already or they bought/want a 360, depending.  

Yep pretty much this, and it extends to online as well. With the 2:1 userbase advantage the question for online gamers becomes, Live has friends vs PSN has no friends. It also extends to the stores, when they walk in the Xbox 360 section is bigger so the console itself looks more successful too.

Tease.

Nintendo needs to drop the price if they want to meet they're projections, Wii is way down, WSR couldn't help it(even though only a week) though if it did that would mean sales were wayy down without it, so I doubt it helped much.
The same will be with WiiFit+. only NSMBWii will help, but not enough to reach the projections.

tag:"reviews only matter for the real hardcore gamer"

good number overall, wii so much close to 360 number

Around the Network

Poor Nintendo. They will have to cut the price AND revise their expectations.

Currently playing on PS3: God of War III

Currently playing on Xbox360: Final Fantasy XIII

Currently playing on NDS: Chrono Trigger

Remember the inFamous "Ham Sandwich" table that Sony gave some months ago? Well is back in the Sony response to the NPD numbers.

http://www.vg247.com/2009/08/13/july-npd-ps3-is-just-getting-warmed-up-says-sony/#more-50565

Interoperability with PSP not available on Xbox 360 or Wii??? Wow .... Sony's PR at its best I guess.

alfredofroylan said:

Remember the inFamous "Ham Sandwich" table that Sony gave some months ago? Well is back in the Sony response to the NPD numbers.

http://www.vg247.com/2009/08/13/july-npd-ps3-is-just-getting-warmed-up-says-sony/#more-50565

Interoperability with PSP not available on Xbox 360 or Wii??? Wow .... Sony's PR at its best I guess.

ugh just stop Sony, you've already tried this like 3 times.  The arcade is half the price of the PS3.  They really need to drop the price of the PS3.

currently playing: Skyward Sword, Mario Sunshine, Xenoblade Chronicles X

Soriku said:
Wonder what Nintendo will do now. Wait for more SW, or...?

Well they had MH 3 in Japan, but WSR did nothing here in America. I guess some people in Nintendo are starting to press for a price cut (or a new offer this holiday)

dolemit3 said:
Poor Nintendo.

I laughed so hard when I read that...!