By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Sales Discussion - Famitsu sales (8/3 - 8/9)

outlawauron said:
Kenology said:
Only the Sony fans are screaming "Bob-omb". The game is performing within Wii fans' expectations. Most people just said they expect it to reach 1.0 - 1.5 million. I personally will be happy with 1 million alone. But folks are just trollin' up and down in this thread - it's pathetic really.

I expected 1.5 million before the budget release, and it's looking to be right in line with Famitsu's expectations. Ship near a million and have little if any shipment afterwards.

And I'm not saying it bombed. Just lower than I expected. Half of the PSP versions should not be a high expectation, especially so since it has a much higher budget.

Lastly, look at my sig. He expected it to do 3 million and we compromised on a bet.

Guys, Monster Hunter 3 is selling better than Monster Hunter Freedom, Monster Hunter Freedom 118k / 53k (668k LTD), the fist PSP game. This is the Second entry in the Series on the Wii and the first that is not a port and it is selling quite well. It takes time for an IP to develop a fanbase on another platform. Just look at the PSP for example. This game is by no means a bomb and will sell a million or more in Japan.

If Nintendo is successful at the moment, it’s because they are good, and I cannot blame them for that. What we should do is try to be just as good.----Laurent Benadiba

Around the Network

Wow the fanbase for the Monster Hunter series is on a handheld it must mean a console version should do twice as good even though it didn't do no where near as good on PS2 as it did the handheld, man Wii sales of MH3 will be mind blowing I mean everyone that bought the PSP game MUST own a Wii right and you know how Japans economics is stellar right, they must have the cash to drop on a Wii just for this game at the drop of a hat.

To be serious for a moment, those are good sales for MH3, it's not a bomb, a bomb is expecting/needing millions in revenue to make back what you spent and then the first week and it only sells a few thousand. Use some common sense and logic people... and if you're doing it to troll you're doing a piss poor job of it :P

MaxwellGT2000 - "Does the amount of times you beat it count towards how hardcore you are?"

Wii Friend Code - 5882 9717 7391 0918 (PM me if you add me), PSN - MaxwellGT2000, XBL - BlkKniteCecil, MaxwellGT2000

patjuan32 said:
outlawauron said:
Kenology said:
Only the Sony fans are screaming "Bob-omb". The game is performing within Wii fans' expectations. Most people just said they expect it to reach 1.0 - 1.5 million. I personally will be happy with 1 million alone. But folks are just trollin' up and down in this thread - it's pathetic really.

I expected 1.5 million before the budget release, and it's looking to be right in line with Famitsu's expectations. Ship near a million and have little if any shipment afterwards.

And I'm not saying it bombed. Just lower than I expected. Half of the PSP versions should not be a high expectation, especially so since it has a much higher budget.

Lastly, look at my sig. He expected it to do 3 million and we compromised on a bet.

Guys, Monster Hunter 3 is selling better than Monster Hunter Freedom, Monster Hunter Freedom 118k / 53k (668k LTD), the fist PSP game. This is the Second entry in the Series on the Wii and the first that is not a port and it is selling quite well. It takes time for an IP to develop a fanbase on another platform. Just look at the PSP for example. This game is by no means a bomb and will sell a million or more in Japan.

Hm, what was the PSP's userbase when Freedom was released?

sc94597 said:
patjuan32 said:
outlawauron said:
Kenology said:

There were 2.2 million PSPs in Japan whenever the first MH launched.

"We'll toss the dice however they fall,
And snuggle the girls be they short or tall,
Then follow young Mat whenever he calls,
To dance with Jak o' the Shadows."

Check out MyAnimeList and my Game Collection. Owner of the 5 millionth post.

outlawauron said:
sc94597 said:
patjuan32 said:
outlawauron said:
Kenology said:

There were 2.2 million PSPs in Japan whenever the first MH launched.

Even then, apples and oranges.

Like I said Monster Hunter's popularity has to be taken in very high consideration, due to the local wireless multiplayer. A console version has a completely different value and momentum. We need to consider lifestyles here, most people don't want to play this game indoors. Consider that for a moment, if you do you'll realize it's far from a magical transition. People wanna play something the way they want to play it with their social circles, it's not just about content.

The Portable version varies from the console version vastly when you take the consumer into consideration.

Around the Network
outlawauron said:
Kenology said:

One isolated incident (or prediction) is not evidence of a general pattern.  Everyone else had expectations in the range I mentioned before.  routsounmanman's prediction one of the few odd predictions, not the general sales expectation among the other folks who made predictions.

Magna carta did ''OK''.

Tales of VS did ''OK. I expect more sales for a handheld console with bigger userbase. But i will have in mind that this game is not a true JRPG.

TheSource said:

Come on Ail, most games aren't that front loaded. Its only one or two series like Metal Gear or Final Fantasy that are. Even Dragon Quest IX didn't do 75-80% of its sales in two weeks. 2.96m in two weeks, ~3.53m through Aug 9, and its going to get to ~3.75m by the end of August, and it might leg out a couple hundred thousand more. But once it passes 3.75m, it did less than 75% of its total by week two. Monster Hunter G did 175k on Wii in two weeks and has climbed to 240k since and still sells ~1,000 or so per week at the moment, so it will get to ~250k.

65%-70% in two weeks is probably more realistic for big titles. So you should add roughly 50% of the week two total to MH3 - 721k * 1.4 to 721k * 1.5 for a realistic total. It may see better legs than MHG since the Wii base line has improved from April, but 1.0m-1.1m looks ok at the moment. No one in their right mind should have expected it to be bigger than the PSP titles, if you look back in the thread (http://www.vgchartz.com/forum/thread.php?id=77192), from the very first post you can see we had realistic expectations - 90k Wii, 500k MH3 week one, but the game has clearly outperformed the PS2 Monster Hunter games on a smaller hw base, so Capcom has to be fairly happy. The game will do a few hundred thousand in the west I'd wager based on the performance of the PSP Freedom title (the west is reversed - the Wii game should outperform the PSP Monster Hunter). By the end of next week, some retailers probably will run out of the initial shipment (it will be around 800k out of the ~1m initial shipment) so Capcom will be able to ship more units even though some retailers will have it in stock. Realistically, then can ship up to 1.25m in Japan it looks like, and maybe 350k in the west this fiscal year. So yeah, they probably can't do the 2m projected, but ~1.6m is possible yet.

I agree they will probably ship around 1.25 million units.

They might have to do the second shipment at a lower price but we have no clue what their expectation were for that so that is speculative.

I still think it won't be that easy to break 1 million, week 3 will give us a clearer picture on that but if week 3 is bellow 65k it will be hard....

PS3-Xbox360 gap : 1.5 millions and going up in PS3 favor !

PS3-Wii gap : 20 millions and going down !

Another thing is, this is 7 days of availability here. I mean damn, some folks must really have it bad for the Wii when they call a game selling 730k in 7 days a flop, that is just so damn desperate.

I'm done with this thread though, what a ride.

Bet between Slimbeast and Arius Dion about Wii sales 2009:

If the Wii sells less than 20 million in 2009 (as defined by VGC sales between week ending 3d Jan 2009 to week ending 4th Jan 2010) Slimebeast wins and get to control Arius Dion's sig for 1 month.

If the Wii sells more than 20 million in 2009 (as defined above) Arius Dion wins and gets to control Slimebeast's sig for 1 month.

2 days last week, 7 days this week so 9 days. I'll be interested to see what MC says though.

currently playing: Skyward Sword, Mario Sunshine, Xenoblade Chronicles X