By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Sales Discussion - Predictions, Again! (When) Will the Wii Overtake PS360 Combined?

December 2009.

The abysmal sales of PS3 WW, and the stagnating sales of 360 WW if the Wii can sustain 300k or near that range through Sept, Holiday Season will see it through to 50%

Bet between Slimbeast and Arius Dion about Wii sales 2009:

If the Wii sells less than 20 million in 2009 (as defined by VGC sales between week ending 3d Jan 2009 to week ending 4th Jan 2010) Slimebeast wins and get to control Arius Dion's sig for 1 month.

If the Wii sells more than 20 million in 2009 (as defined above) Arius Dion wins and gets to control Slimebeast's sig for 1 month.

Around the Network

Last thread i said never so im going with never again.

I could imagine that there might be a time when the Wii will overtake the HD consoles, but this timeframe will be rather short....

I say the Wii will overtake both HD consoles by December 2010 and will then fall behind them by December 2011 at the latest.

Never

RageBot said:
I'll probably go with never, I can't see a way for the Wii to increase it sells globaly by a big margin, while the PS3 and 360 still have some aces that can increase their sells in the long run.

This is just pure wrong. The Wii has more aces up its sleeve than the HD consoles. Which is the only console to have not had a price cut? So there is much more room for price cuts on Wii. Also, at least in Japan there is DQ10 which will sell masses of consoles. I don't see many system sellers left for the HD consoles. Also, thanks to WSR the Wii is trending upwards against the HD twins again for the first time for ages. I can see this as a long lasting trend. Lastly there will be no Wii shortages this holiday so i can see it selling massively. So i say the difference will be at about 2.25M before this holiday season then the Wii at 50% market share by no later than March 2010.

DON'T WIN ME CHIBI BUDDY DON'T WIN ME.

ANIMAL CROSSING NEW LEAF FRIEND CODE:- 5129 1175 1029. MESSAGE ME.
ANDY MURRAY:- GRAND SLAM WINNER!

In my opinion the N64 was not just the best console of the 5th gen but, to this day the best console ever created!

Around the Network

Never!!

Put me down for never

Systems owned: NES, SNES, N64, PS1, PS2, PS3, Wii, Xbox360

Currently Playing: UNCHARTED 2 !!

Waiting for: FFXIII, GoW3, GT5, Mass Effect 2

Hard to say without knowing the full 2010 lineup, but if Nintendo's is any good, hopefully it'll continue the momentum WSR/NSMBWii start this year.

I'd say 2010 holidays, meaning December (safest bet with all the sales)... but put me down for November, just to be different.

daveJ said:
Never, Its practically impossible now.

The question should of been when or if do you think the wii (not including its successor the wii2,wiiHD) will hit 40% marketshare, which is a lot tougher to predict.
But Ild go with december 2010

40 % is not at all as easy to count with as 50%. But let's take a look at this troll post for the fun of it.

December 2010 is 16 months away, approx 70 weeks.

If the Wii stops selling today, the PS360 would have to sell 24 million in that time, that is 340 000 per week. Last year PS360 combined sold 21 million, so 24 million with two holiday seasons is definitely a safe assumption.

However, if the Wii sells only 100k per week (to take a very low estimate), that would mean the PS360 would have to sell 34 million (or 490k per week). This is starting to be improbable.

So far this year, the Wii has sold on average 200k per week (without holiday bump). That means PS360 would have to sell 44 million (or 620k per week). That's more than they sold in the previous two full years together, and is really improbable.

Last year, the Wii sold on average 470k per week. If the Wii would sell like last year, that would mean the PS360 would have to sell a staggering 72 million in 70 weeks to reach a combined 60% marketshare. Yes, that's over 1 million units on a weekly average.

In short... I don't think so.

Wow, that was fun!

If Wii sells PS360 combined must sell PS360 combined must sell Weekly PS360 must increase weekly sales by
0k 24 million 340k -15%
100k 34 million 490k +22,5%
200k 44 million 620k +55%
470k 72 million 1,020k +255%

Woot! I even managed to make a table!

This is invisible text!

May 2010