By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Sony Discussion - PS3 now 70% Cheaper to Produce!

Rath said:
If this is just a straight up what the on the shelf PS3 costs to produce then that is simply unbelievable. I mean literally unbelievable.

For the slim its possible, but still far less than what I would have guessed (I would have guessed a cost of around $350)

What makes in unbelievable. SONY was probably working hard to reduce manufacturing costs. They planned to eventually earn a profit on every console sold.  This is probably later then they planned anyway.

Around the Network
Vetteman94 said:
This is manufacturing cost, So it probably doesnt include the box and packaging and all the cables and the controller that goes with it as well.

But it is good news though

True, but does still seem very low

Munkeh111 said:
Yes, but you would imagine that the costs haven't dropped from $450 to $250 since late June

That's where the Slim comes in..

edit: Just realized you had already said that. Sorry.

According to a article in March they were losing $40 per console.

http://www.joystiq.com/2009/05/15/report-sony-losing-about-40-on-each-ps3/

With that said, I'm not buying the PS3 only cost about $250 to produce.

Report from january though

mM
Around the Network
Graves said:

This is how we pretty much know he's talking about the upcoming slimline version.

Seihyouken said:
Graves said:

This is how we pretty much know he's talking about the upcoming slimline version.

Here's hoping anyway

so since they do these things in loads, to get one on the shelf could be around 280 or something like that?

4 ≈ One

I thought Howard Stringer was CEO of Sony...was he fired in the last few hours or something?

EDIT: This Nobuyuki Oneda guy is CFO. Anyway, this has been posted, and a thread has been posted saying this is fake, so I don't know what to think!

(Former) Lead Moderator and (Eternal) VGC Detective

Squall_Leonhart said:

Sony CEO Nobuyuki Oneda has stated in a conference call, reported by TVG that the console is now 70% cheaper to manufacture than it was when it launched in November 2006, (March 2007 here in the PAL regions) which comes as a nice surprise after they stated back in Jan 2008 the cost of producing the console had fallen to roughly around $400 per system.

This is good news for the console giant to prepare to make a price-cut (if they are willing to forego profits for more systems being sold this holiday season) or in preparation for the much rumoured PS3 slim!

We, once again, will have to wait and see what comes out of this announcement of reduction of the price the console costs to make!

Link - http://www.eurogamer.net/articles/ps3-now-70-per-cent-cheaper-to-make

Foregoing profits for higher sales is exactly what got Sony into this mess. The fact that they haven't cut the price already is strong evidence that they have finally come to their senses about this predatory and ludicrously risky practice, and they will not be so quick to do it again.

By the way, something is wrong with somebody's numbers. For the console to be 70% cheaper at $400, this would mean that it cost over $1300 to produce at launch, meaning that the margin of loss on a launch PS3 would have been over 50%. Although I suppose that if anyone could possibly be that full of hubris then it would be Sony, but I have trouble believing that even they would do something that risky.

Complexity is not depth. Machismo is not maturity. Obsession is not dedication. Tedium is not challenge. Support gaming: support the Wii.

Be the ultimate ninja! Play Billy Vs. SNAKEMAN today! Poisson Village welcomes new players.

What do I hate about modern gaming? I hate tedium replacing challenge, complexity replacing depth, and domination replacing entertainment. I hate the outsourcing of mechanics to physics textbooks, art direction to photocopiers, and story to cheap Hollywood screenwriters. I hate the confusion of obsession with dedication, style with substance, new with gimmicky, old with obsolete, new with evolutionary, and old with time-tested.
There is much to hate about modern gaming. That is why I support the Wii.