By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Sony Discussion - PS3 now 70% Cheaper to Produce!

Rath said:
Ok lets look at this again.

~70% (probably slightly less, they only used the word approximate. Could be anywhere 65% up) reduction - from what? I would assume the price of manufacturing the first batch of PS3's, this number could be higher than $1000 per unit.

The number of variables we don't actually know means that manufacturing could easily be up to $350 per unit still, I don't think we can claim that the PS3 cost $250. Especially when it seems such a stupidly low number considering how recently they were losing money.

Because they still lost money on the models sold before that?

Prediction:

TGS this year for PS3 will be amazing.

Grandia comes to PSN(PSone classic).

First Versus gameplay this year.

The Adventures Of Duane and Brando

Around the Network
Skittles said:
Rath said:
Ok lets look at this again.

~70% (probably slightly less, they only used the word approximate. Could be anywhere 65% up) reduction - from what? I would assume the price of manufacturing the first batch of PS3's, this number could be higher than $1000 per unit.

The number of variables we don't actually know means that manufacturing could easily be up to $350 per unit still, I don't think we can claim that the PS3 cost $250. Especially when it seems such a stupidly low number considering how recently they were losing money.

Because they still lost money on the models sold before that?

There are so many different reasons why they were losing money. A lot of the losses at the end of '08 and begining on '09 had a lot to do with the recession actually. The yen was so strong against the dollar then. I mean... back in '06 and '07 I believe it was 120 yen per dollar. In 08 it fell to 90 yen per dollar. HUGE hit just from the economy. Another reason they are losing money is because eveything they have in research and development. Things that aren't in the market making money. People loved to blame everything on the PS3 months ago but look at everything sony is releasing. PSP 3000 was just last year. PSP Go, PS3 slim, PS wand... and I'm sure they are doing research on their next generation too such as the PSP2 and the PS4.

JEDE3 said:
ou said "Not the current ones" so I assume you mean "future" models..

I said current ones on the shelves which means manufactured in the past

Vetteman94 said:
JEDE3 said:

Ok, i've been saying this whole thread that the slim is current for Sony... so when I saw current I was thinking the slims.

JEDE3 said:
Vetteman94 said:
JEDE3 said:

Ok, i've been saying this whole thread that the slim is current for Sony... so when I saw current I was thinking the slims.

I agree, manufacturing wise the Slim is current.  

Around the Network

Since stock for the PS3 (as it is at the moment) seems to be getting depleted as we speak with little to no more units being sent out, i think it is a given that the Slim is going to come sooner rather than later! I mean if retailers are out of stock on the console and they are not going to be getting stock for a while this would mean lost sales for Sony... Not what they will want!

This makes me :)

This is going to be great :D

It's only a matter of time moihahaha

Yea, to me, this all but confirms a Slim is coming. There is no way that just a few short months ago, it costed $440 to make a PS3. Now it only costs $250? There's no way that they could make that significant of a difference without releasing a newer, smaller model with cost-saving in mind.