By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Sony Discussion - Sony is the only company I am 100% sure will make a next gen console

You obviously don't understand Nintendo even though many people have already said this.

Nintendo's philosophy is this. You make hardware so that you can create games that are incapable of being made on any other hardware. I'll say it again, Nintendo makes the hardware for the software that they make, not the other way around. If Nintendo cannot control the hardware, they will leave the business. It is that simple. Nintendo will never go 3rd party, and they won't go out without a bang. According to analysts the Wii was destined to flop while the PS3 was destined to dominate. If you did a risk analysis, Sony was taking a small risk compared to the huge risk that Nintendo took. Obviously Nintendo's huge risk paid off, while Sony's safe bet fell through. So you can't say Nintendo won't take a risk, because they've proven they will.

As for no guarantee they'll make money on the next console, yes that is true, but Nintendo will never post losses as large as Sony or Microsoft. Nintendo isn't stupid, they sell their hardware at a profit. To my knowledge they only times they've sold their hardware at a loss was because the exchange rate changed and caused them to lose money. Not because they willing decided to sell the hardware at a loss of $200 per unit (estimated loss for Sony at the PS3 launch). So, while they could lose money, they'll never lose as much money just because they are selling hardware to support their business.

So, Nintendo getting out of the hardware business equals closing the doors forever, while Sony or Microsoft getting out of the hardware business may mean larger profits. Yet you still believe that Nintendo is the most likely to leave.

Also, if we go back to the flash issue. While online services may be cheaper, Nintendo has been wildly successful with the DS, so flash is obviously a workable medium. Prices are dropping, so while I don't think Nintendo will head back to flash, there really isn't any reason why they couldn't. Your statement about online is also false. I know plenty of people who have a console, but do not have it hooked up to the internet (nor could they really, oh and thanks for throwing a claim that is incredibly easy to counter.). Anywhere they can move hardware they can move software too. So online is still smaller any way you slice it. While online distribution may be easier to execute, you chop off a large portion of the market. Also, there have been plenty of online games yet they still sell more disc copies as proven by sales that have been reported. So again, obviously people want or need physical copies. The best method to pursue would be a combination of both until physical copies no longer make sense to produce. CDs are still around yet online distribution has been in existence for years. People want to own physical copies and getting rid of them would chop off a portion of the market that isn't easily capable of downloading a game.

Also, hopefully this thread will convince you that if you believe that Sony is 100% sure to make a next console, then it is quite obvious that Nintendo will to. We can close the thread and you can open another one that states Nintendo and Sony are the only company you are 100% sure will make a next gen console. Then we can argue about Microsoft which is actually a question mark for the same exact reasons that Sony is.

If you drop a PS3 right on top of a Wii, it would definitely defeat it. Not so sure about the Xbox360. - mancandy
In the past we played games. In the future we watch games. - Forest-Spirit
11/03/09 Desposit: Mod Bribery (RolStoppable)  vg$ 500.00
06/03/09 Purchase: Moderator Privilege  vg$ -50,000.00

Nordlead Jr. Photo/Video Gallery!!! (Video Added 4/19/10)

Around the Network
solidpumar said:
Onyxmeth said:

My god man. You really don't understand Nintendo's success at all. No wonder you think the way you do. Next thing you'll say is if the PSP adds a touch screen and a second screen it would start outselling the DS. If you really think keeping up with the Jones' is what will spell success for Sony and Microsoft and spell doom for Nintendo, you frankly have not been paying attention to the last five years.

Nintendo sucess on the DS wasnt because of hardware was because of the games they have and price. People didnt bought the DS because of touch screen or second screen on the first place, they bought because of pokemon, GBA advanced compatibility and because of sony mistakes.

You are the one that doesnt understand the nintendo sucess.

Dont patronize me kid.

Solidpumar are you going to have to make me put an epic fail demotivator on this thread?  Cus I swear I'll do it I'm crazy. 

nordlead said:
You obviously don't understand Nintendo even though many people have already said this.

Nintendo's philosophy is this. You make hardware so that you can create games that are incapable of being made on any other hardware. I'll say it again, Nintendo makes the hardware for the software that they make, not the other way around. If Nintendo cannot control the hardware, they will leave the business. It is that simple. Nintendo will never go 3rd party, and they won't go out without a bang. According to analysts the Wii was destined to flop while the PS3 was destined to dominate. If you did a risk analysis, Sony was taking a small risk compared to the huge risk that Nintendo took. Obviously Nintendo's huge risk paid off, while Sony's safe bet fell through. So you can't say Nintendo won't take a risk, because they've proven they will.

As for no guarantee they'll make money on the next console, yes that is true, but Nintendo will never post losses as large as Sony or Microsoft. Nintendo isn't stupid, they sell their hardware at a profit. To my knowledge they only times they've sold their hardware at a loss was because the exchange rate changed and caused them to lose money. Not because they willing decided to sell the hardware at a loss of $200 per unit (estimated loss for Sony at the PS3 launch). So, while they could lose money, they'll never lose as much money just because they are selling hardware to support their business.

So, Nintendo getting out of the hardware business equals closing the doors forever, while Sony or Microsoft getting out of the hardware business may mean larger profits. Yet you still believe that Nintendo is the most likely to leave.

Also, if we go back to the flash issue. While online services may be cheaper, Nintendo has been wildly successful with the DS, so flash is obviously a workable medium. Prices are dropping, so while I don't think Nintendo will head back to flash, there really isn't any reason why they couldn't. Your statement about online is also false. I know plenty of people who have a console, but do not have it hooked up to the internet (nor could they really, oh and thanks for throwing a claim that is incredibly easy to counter.). Anywhere they can move hardware they can move software too. So online is still smaller any way you slice it. While online distribution may be easier to execute, you chop off a large portion of the market. Also, there have been plenty of online games yet they still sell more disc copies as proven by sales that have been reported. So again, obviously people want or need physical copies. The best method to pursue would be a combination of both until physical copies no longer make sense to produce. CDs are still around yet online distribution has been in existence for years. People want to own physical copies and getting rid of them would chop off a portion of the market that isn't easily capable of downloading a game.

Also, hopefully this thread will convince you that if you believe that Sony is 100% sure to make a next console, then it is quite obvious that Nintendo will to. We can close the thread and you can open another one that states Nintendo and Sony are the only company you are 100% sure will make a next gen console. Then we can argue about Microsoft which is actually a question mark for the same exact reasons that Sony is.

Excellent post, saved me a lot of typing for the same reasons.  I think Nintendo are the company guaranteed to release a next generation console at this time, it's then Sony and Microsoft tied for the next spot (maybe Sony slightly more favourite).

RolStoppable said:
solidpumar said:
Onyxmeth said:

My god man. You really don't understand Nintendo's success at all. No wonder you think the way you do. Next thing you'll say is if the PSP adds a touch screen and a second screen it would start outselling the DS. If you really think keeping up with the Jones' is what will spell success for Sony and Microsoft and spell doom for Nintendo, you frankly have not been paying attention to the last five years.

Nintendo sucess on the DS wasnt because of hardware was because of the games they have and price. People didnt bought the DS because of touch screen or second screen on the first place, they bought because of pokemon, GBA advanced compatibility and because of sony mistakes.

Dont patronize me kid.

What were Sony's mistakes?

Making consoles that breed the world's most unreasonable reasoning.

RolStoppable said:
solidpumar said:
Onyxmeth said:

Dont patronize me kid.

Making amazing consoles for a world that's too stupid to appreciate them.

Around the Network
badgenome said:
RolStoppable said:
solidpumar said:
Onyxmeth said:

Dont patronize me kid.

Making amazing consoles for a world that's too stupid to appreciate them.

LOL, I'll drink to that..

Lets hope they've learned there lesson  XD

Vote to Localize — SEGA and Konami Polls

Vote Today To Help Get A Konami & SEGA Game Localized.This Will Only Work If Lots Of People Vote.

Click on the Image to Head to the Voting Page (A vote for Yakuza is a vote to save gaming)

RolStoppable said:

Were that they never had a business model that worked. Nintendo can't be cowtowed and Microsoft can't be outspent.

Tease.

solidpumar said:
Onyxmeth said:

For all your talking, you've still yet to explain why Nintendo would become a third party publisher as opposed to a first party publisher/hardware maker. Nintendo makes consoles they see profit on rather fast. There's no reason to think that will change. So you're saying the following is what they might do compared to what they do now:

1. They make money off a console, accessories, a downloadable games service on said console, and massive game sales that they see every cent of.

or your scenario:

2. No hardware profits, no accessory profits, no Virtual Console/WiiWare profits, and a smaller cut of their game sales because they're now paying other console makers fees to put their games on their systems.

Other inconsistencies with your argument:

a. There's no guarantee Nintendo games will be able to sell as well without Nintendo also driving the console behind them.

b. There's no guarantee Sony or Microsoft's next consoles will fall in line with Nintendo's continued visions, which may cripple their innovation in making software. In fact, seeing as how both console makers concetrate heavily on M rated games and lots of online multiplayer, it's almost a guarantee Nintendo will not fit in.

c. There's no guarantee Sony or Microsoft's next consoles will be able to capture the expanded audience Nintendo has acquired with the Wii and DS. I see that audience just going back to having other hobbies if MS and Sony create consoles similiar to their current ones. It can very easily shrink the game buying community for the first generation ever.

d. You've also failed to explain why Nintendo would drop consoles and not handhelds. Both follow the same strategy. If one goes, why not the other?

e. Blue Ocean Strategy is not any major surprising shift a company can do, like just saying "Boo! HAHA! Surprised you!". It's acquiring a market not being catered to currently. Nintendo entering a third party publishing market infested with hundreds of other publishers that are already busy trying to capture that Nintendo magic is entering the red ocean.

There is no garantee their next console will make money. Ps2 made money, but the ps3 didn't

I did NOT sayed nintendo will drop OUT.

I SAID NO ONE WILL DROP OUT, in the post you quoted for gods sake.

MS, SONY, Nintedo will likely release another console. I have been saying that for the whole thread.

I said SONY CHANCE OF DROPING OUT IS LESS THAN NINTENDO. Which is true regardless of how bigger nintendo chance are, simply because I beliave there is 0% chance sony will drop out, for similar reason you think nintendo wont.

But I dont think any will drop out of hardware sales. NONE.

At least for next gen.... in next next gen things might change.

---------------

M rated games... what? every console has rated E games, VIVA PINATA, LBP, free realms, singtar (just some 1st party i mentioned) And if sony and ms really only catter to M (which is a lie), just mean that NIntendo will have less competiton in publishing games. They could make people buy ps4 to play mario and not god of war4, you dont need to play evry game the console has.

Shrink gaming community because the product doesnt have Nintendo stamp on it? biased much? Nintendo games wouldnt disappear.

You arguments are so faulty and you have the guts to say mine is incosistent?

Sony gambled with the PS3. They priced themselves out of the market and hoped brand value and an unproven movie format would spell success. Their gamble failed, and failed big. Nintendo does not gamble that big. Nintendo does not create consoles that can't see profitibility three years after release. So even if Nintendo goes back to Gamecube sales, that console will still be profitable and will be worth staying in business for, since Nintendo's own games can still record many millions in sales on low selling hardware.

If you never believed Nintendo would drop out, then why type out such a long, drawn out argument about it? You didn't get facepalms because of your statements on Sony, it's because you threw a ridiculous Nintendo scenario into the mix that would never happen.

Look at how much the E rated games on Sony and Microsoft's consoels sell and then look at the Wii. You don't see the difference? You don't think it may be a result of a staggering difference in demographics between the HD consoles and the Wii? LBP had a massive ad campaign, got fantastic word of mouth, and was a frontrunner for GOTY everywhere. It sold on par with a mediocre Sonic game on the Wii.

On the PS3 there are three E rated titles in the top 10 for third parties, all of which are licensed sports titles and are near the bottom. On the 360, there is one E rated title in the top 10 and it's a licensed sports title, also at the bottom. I'm obviously not counting the holiday bundle titles on the 360, so don't ask about them. On the PS3, the top 6 third party titles are all rated M and 6/10 of the top 10 are M rated. On the 360, the top 4 third party titles are M rated out of 6/10 total in the top 10.

On the Wii, 8/10 of the top 10 third party titles are rated E. None of them are licensed sports titles. There are no M rated titles in the top 10. There are minigame collections, sports collections, an action title and a platformer rounding out the E rated titles. Similiar to how there is genre range on the M rated titles in the top 10 on the HD consoles, there is genre range for the E rated titles on the Wii.

The demographics are different. It's easy to see.

Also it's been proven already that there are statements made that if Nintendo stopped making consoles, the games do disappear. So you are wrong there.

My arguments can't be faulty since they oppose yours, and you've already admitted to not believing what you say is going to happen.

Tag: Became a freaking mod and a complete douche, coincidentally, at the same time.

You really don't know about business. Profits are much more important than assets and very few actually care about amount of assets. Amount of assets is only important when you are losing money and have to sell some of your assets. Sony doesn't have much money in the bank so Sony's assets are factories, workers etc. If console department would only lose money or not benefit some other department within company, it would be closed down or sold, no matter how much assets company has.

Sometimes huge amount of assets are actually burden. For example car companies have huge assets but almost nobody wants to buy any of them so they just close down factories or sell them for very minimal amount.

Why wouldn't Nintendo make a new console?
Or Microsoft?

It's all money if you do it right.