By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Nintendo Discussion - Dragon Quest IX ... getting BAD reviews?!?!

People not liking Dragon Quest.... incomprehensible. Like, I can understand that people have different tastes, but I have so much fun playing the games from Dragon Quest that I can't imagine hating them.

Don't thrash me ;_;, I do understand that everyone has their own unique tastes developed from the moment they were born. It really is no different then how some people can't stand one style of music, like rap, and can love another, like rock, while others are exactly the opposite. It's just impossible for me to imagine hating Dragon Quest, since the style I love so much.

Don't get me wrong, I don't love Dragon Quest games because of the titles, but I usually can trust them to be high quality products based on past experience. I'm expecting no less from Dragon Quest IX, so Square Enix and Level 5 better not let me down.

On a side note, does anyone find it funny how some are enraged by the steps forward DQVIII made... while others are enraged by the "steps back" DQIX is making... Honestly, graphics aren't everything, and if anything, DQIX is continuing forward, not back.  Just my two cents, as they say.

Around the Network
Maynard_Tool said:
Xxain said:
Maynard_Tool said:
PullusPardus said:
Maynard_Tool said:
3 Million+ sales on 2 days... does it really matter???

yes it does matter to ACTUAL FANS of the series.

if your really a gamer you would buy a game you like not a game that sold alot.

Actual fans are not bitching about the game. They are enjoying it.

That's right, I buy games that I like.... not games that other people like/don't like...  like those who follow online reviews.

If you are a real fan of DQ you wouldn't bitch about the game being on X system. You just get the system, play it and enjoy it. That's it. Like most people who bought the game in Japan are doing. Not the few crying babies out there, complaining about the game being in the DS

dude...JAPAN WAS THE PPL COMPLAINING....they dont like the lowerd difficulty( preschool kids can play it with ease)

Ok... how many people bought the game??? 3M+... how many people are complaining?

404 Rated the game as 1 & 2 star. So we have 404 people complaining about the game...out of 3 million, not bad.

I mean, we're using amazon japan as the main source for this? Come on

Well, it's not really 404 out of 3 million since not all 3 million owners of DQIX bought it from Amazon. 

Not that surprised. I didn't understand why DQ was popular in the first place.

=(.

the game didn't look to have the polish of DQ 8.

seriously anyone could never think ps2 doing so realistic yet simple metal shaders and celshading.

it didn't translate well into DS.
at least sold a lot. but square enix kinda disappointing lately

jacks81x said:
Maynard_Tool said:
Xxain said:
Maynard_Tool said:
PullusPardus said:
Maynard_Tool said:
3 Million+ sales on 2 days... does it really matter???

yes it does matter to ACTUAL FANS of the series.

if your really a gamer you would buy a game you like not a game that sold alot.

Actual fans are not bitching about the game. They are enjoying it.

That's right, I buy games that I like.... not games that other people like/don't like...  like those who follow online reviews.

If you are a real fan of DQ you wouldn't bitch about the game being on X system. You just get the system, play it and enjoy it. That's it. Like most people who bought the game in Japan are doing. Not the few crying babies out there, complaining about the game being in the DS

dude...JAPAN WAS THE PPL COMPLAINING....they dont like the lowerd difficulty( preschool kids can play it with ease)

Ok... how many people bought the game??? 3M+... how many people are complaining?

404 Rated the game as 1 & 2 star. So we have 404 people complaining about the game...out of 3 million, not bad.

I mean, we're using amazon japan as the main source for this? Come on

Well, it's not really 404 out of 3 million since not all 3 million owners of DQIX bought it from Amazon. 

Or the fact it sold 2.3 million, not 3 million. And you do have to buy the game to give a review I believe.

"We'll toss the dice however they fall,
And snuggle the girls be they short or tall,
Then follow young Mat whenever he calls,
To dance with Jak o' the Shadows."

Check out MyAnimeList and my Game Collection. Owner of the 5 millionth post.

Around the Network
SaviorX said:
Interesting.

Oh well. As long as DQX Wii sells close to this number first week, (2.3m) I could care less if it is good or not.

So you just want SE to make loads of money with poor games? Right., as a gamer that doesn't make sense. SE will just continue to churn out poor pif they still sell. Why do we play video games again?

thats over 300 hundred people.

hardly trolls, the game did disappoint >_o

good ratings would have overcome troll attemp but it getting bigger 1 star ratings.

soriku have you played DQ8?

cellshading it's godly. it makes budokai or any celshaded game of the era look last gen.

Soriku said:
Xoj said:
=(.

the game didn't look to have the polish of DQ 8.

seriously anyone could never think ps2 doing so realistic yet simple metal shaders and celshading.

it didn't translate well into DS.
at least sold a lot. but square enix kinda disappointing lately

DQ VIII cel shading is realistic? lol no. It's a good looking game but I'm not suddenly wowed by DQ VIII and unwowed by IX. Plus DQ is old school right? So graphics shouldn't matter.

But DQ X looks like it might get better reception since it's on a console.

well you DID just buy the game, back in when it was released , people were amazed how "Cartoony" it was.

it was like a manga coming to life (back then)

Although, I'll say that these excuses were not given whenever WKC averaged 3.0 stars on the Amazon Japan reviews. It was just a little lower than what Famitsu gave.

"We'll toss the dice however they fall,
And snuggle the girls be they short or tall,
Then follow young Mat whenever he calls,
To dance with Jak o' the Shadows."

Check out MyAnimeList and my Game Collection. Owner of the 5 millionth post.

noname2200 said:

I can second this. Has there ever been a good Dragon Quest?

I love how someone who has an avatar of Little King's Story and images of the game in his signature is accusing Dragon Quest of being a crappy series.  When people who worked on the Dragon Quest series worked on the game.

Just another example of ignorance.  Probably only played one of the games and quit it because it wasn't like their 'x' favorite RPG or because it was too hard and they died.

Six upcoming games you should look into: