By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Nintendo Discussion - Dragon Quest IX ... getting BAD reviews?!?!

I wonder how it will do in the west. I loved DQVIII btw

Around the Network

Almost half of the reviews were up before the game released, and more than that mentioned the lack of "PS3, PSP, or Wii" as the lead platform as a reason it's bad. You really think Japan doesn't have fanboys? If anything their internet community is even more organized and vicious than ours is. Don't underestimate the power of the wrath of 2-chan.

That said, the people are right, this absolutely does not matter at all. The fact is DQ, just like any game that can sell that many millions of units that fast, has a mostly casual and mainstream fanbase. How much the majority of gamers enjoy the game will never be known, because they aren't the kind of people who bother talking about it.

lmao, the situation is kind of funny, but interesting.

we all knew it was going to happen after the trailer

That's odd.

I thought DQ games always reviewed well. At this point, it doesn't matter anyway. The game has already sold 3 million+.

Around the Network

I love how so many people are coming in here with the sole purpose to try and talk down the series...

Like others have said, pre-release one-star reviews that spout nonsense and degrade the game for being too easy when Horii himself has said the opposite should not be trusted.

"Almost half of the reviews were up before the game released, and more than that mentioned the lack of "PS3, PSP, or Wii" as the lead platform as a reason it's bad. You really think Japan doesn't have fanboys? If anything their internet community is even more organized and vicious than ours is. Don't underestimate the power of the wrath of 2-chan."

This. Pollus, stop being concerned based on this. Those were trolls spamming the game before it came out. Those are not legitimate reviews.

A flashy-first game is awesome when it comes out. A great-first game is awesome forever.

Plus, just for the hell of it: Kelly Brook at the 2008 BAFTAs

Not surprising. Japan isn't exactly interested in reviews. If reviews(and in many cases quality) = sales in ANY WAY in japan, the 428 game for the would have sold millions and The Last Remnant would have sold much more.

GOTY Contestants this year: Dead Space 2, Dark Souls, Tales of Graces f. Everything else can suck it.

Well, I think it was kind of predictable. I mean, I love the DQ series, but after DQVIII, i was seriously let down by S-E. It seems they took the whole concept of DQ, strip it of it's hard and relentless, while rewarding for those who really overcame the hardships of the games nature, and gave us a simple JRPG, with a laughable story for DQ standarts (seriously, for those who haven't yet, go play DQV, that's one of the best stories in any RPG in history) and a really ridiculous Final Boss. Thankfully the Dragovian extra dungeon and history was kinda cool, and the ultimate boss of the game was almost as hard as a normal boss in a DQ game.

On a side note, the banning of Xxain really got me worried. I know it's wrong to say fanboy in this site, it should be like this everywhere, it's really a hateful word, but what has me worried is the fact that he only got banned by saying Wii fanboy. Where are the bans for the long list of people on the Forza 3/GT 5 threads? where are the bans for the people who always say things like Sonyboys, Xbots and the such in other threads?. It's not that i'm defending Xxain attitude, it's just that we don't see the same amount of moderation in any other thread, because if we did, this place would be a lot more polite than it is.

Current PC Build

CPU - i7 8700K 3.7 GHz (4.7 GHz turbo) 6 cores OC'd to 5.2 GHz with Watercooling (Hydro Series H110i) | MB - Gigabyte Z370 HD3P ATX | Gigabyte GTX 1080ti Gaming OC BLACK 11G (1657 MHz Boost Core / 11010 MHz Memory) | RAM - Corsair DIMM 32GB DDR4, 2400 MHz | PSU - Corsair CX650M (80+ Bronze) 650W | Audio - Asus Essence STX II 7.1 | Monitor - Samsung U28E590D 4K UHD, Freesync, 1 ms, 60 Hz, 28"

These were NOT REVIEWS OF THE GAME. They were trolling by fanboys before the game was even out.

A flashy-first game is awesome when it comes out. A great-first game is awesome forever.

Plus, just for the hell of it: Kelly Brook at the 2008 BAFTAs