By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Nintendo Discussion - Dragon Quest IX ... getting BAD reviews?!?!

Kenryoku_Maxis said:
noname2200 said:

I can second this. Has there ever been a good Dragon Quest?

I love how someone who has an avatar of Little King's Story and images of the game in his signature is accusing Dragon Quest of being a crappy series.  When people who worked on the Dragon Quest series worked on the game.

Just another example of ignorance.  Probably only played one of the games and quit it because it wasn't like their 'x' favorite RPG or because it was too hard and they died.

I don't see anything wrong with what he said, considering its true.

I believe a previous EPIC worker worked with Running With Scissors on Postal 2 and it wasn't as good as Gears of War.

GOTY Contestants this year: Dead Space 2, Dark Souls, Tales of Graces f. Everything else can suck it.

Around the Network
Shadowblind said:
Kenryoku_Maxis said:
noname2200 said:

I love how someone who has an avatar of Little King's Story and images of the game in his signature is accusing Dragon Quest of being a crappy series.  When people who worked on the Dragon Quest series worked on the game.

Just another example of ignorance.  Probably only played one of the games and quit it because it wasn't like their 'x' favorite RPG or because it was too hard and they died.

Opinion =/= Truth.  Just because you don't like Dragon Quest doesn't make the games bad.

Six upcoming games you should look into:

Kenryoku_Maxis said:
Shadowblind said:
Kenryoku_Maxis said:
noname2200 said:

Opinion =/= Truth.  Just because you don't like Dragon Quest doesn't make the games bad.

I suppose that is true. Its good enough for a normal JRPG.

GOTY Contestants this year: Dead Space 2, Dark Souls, Tales of Graces f. Everything else can suck it.

Kenryoku_Maxis said:
noname2200 said:

I'm not going to point out the obvious, I'm not going to point out the obvious, I'm not...oh, f*** it.

1) The number of people who worked on both titles is fairly small, and the position those folks have (programmers) was not the problem I had with Dragon Quest VIII. The game was smooth and looked very pretty. I'll stop before I start bashing the game.

2) Even if there was a ton more overlap between two products, it does not mean my allegiance automatically transfers from the first to the second. To use an extreme example, I love the American Constitution, but think the Alien and Sedition Act was a load of garbage.

3) For all my pimping, I haven't actually played Little King's Story yet. I'm incredibly hyped and excited about it, but it may well be that a few minutes of playing the title will manage to completely kill any and all enthusiasm I have for it. Not likely, but possible. In point of fact, I went through a similar cycle with Dragon Quest VIII itself, which I heard people raving about, became excited to play, and was ultimately quite let down.

4) You may have noticed from my posts in this thread that I actually tried two of them, both of which are highly regarded on gaming sites/magazines.

5) You may have also noticed the part where I pointed out that I beat VIII in full, including the actual final boss.

6) Even were that not the case, you're being incredibly presumptuous. I invite you to get to know me a little better; you can start by looking at my game collection, if you wish, although you can also browse through my past posts. It shouldn't take too long to realize that I have played a wide variety of RPGs spanning nearly twenty years, many of which laugh at the (rather well balanced) difficulty level in Dragon Quest games. And note: I haven't bothered to add my rather large collection of PC games, which contains a ton of RPGs as well.

I'm trying to be polite and restrained here. In the future, I ask that you kindly take a closer look at the situation before jumping to an opinion, especially one which a cursory examination would show to be blatantly untrue. Finishing the thread is always a good place to start. For all that, no offense was taken on this end.

noname2200 said:

6) Even were that not the case, you're being incredibly presumptuous.

This is true, I was.  But you have to admit, many people, including in this thread, just go off on one sentence rants of how Dragon Quest sucks for no reason.  And this is what your post was sounding like.  There wasn't much to differentiate your post from the rest.  And yes I considered it in contrast to some of your other posts, which is why I quoted you.  In hindsight, yes, I did use you as an example to point out the growing negativity towards the series in the thread (and on the board).

I'm sorry that I judged you falsely.  You were one of those who has played through more than a few hours of a game and actually made up his mind about the game.  Many haven't and just go '*** this, it isn't like Final Fantasy/Tales, its crap'.  Those are the people I was referring to.

In any event, to answer your original question, yes, there has been good Dragon Quest games.  Nearly all of them.  The only one I have though wasn't 'great' or 'amazing' was Dragon Quest VII.  And even considering it alone, its still a good game.

Around the Network
Xen said:
All of it? especially the laughable art style... it looked.. childish. DQ8 didn't have that.

ZOMGKIDDY trolling? In other words, it's nothing but a handful of fratcore whining that it didn't go to a graphics-are-everything system. Not worth paying any attention to.

Complexity is not depth. Machismo is not maturity. Obsession is not dedication. Tedium is not challenge. Support gaming: support the Wii.

Be the ultimate ninja! Play Billy Vs. SNAKEMAN today! Poisson Village welcomes new players.

What do I hate about modern gaming? I hate tedium replacing challenge, complexity replacing depth, and domination replacing entertainment. I hate the outsourcing of mechanics to physics textbooks, art direction to photocopiers, and story to cheap Hollywood screenwriters. I hate the confusion of obsession with dedication, style with substance, new with gimmicky, old with obsolete, new with evolutionary, and old with time-tested.
There is much to hate about modern gaming. That is why I support the Wii.

Being too kiddy or childish is just valid a complaint as people saying the game is too brown and grey.

"We'll toss the dice however they fall,
And snuggle the girls be they short or tall,
Then follow young Mat whenever he calls,
To dance with Jak o' the Shadows."

Check out MyAnimeList and my Game Collection. Owner of the 5 millionth post.

outlawauron said:
Being too kiddy or childish is just valid a complaint as people saying the game is too brown and grey.

No, actually, it isn't. The former is nothing more than the bleating of an immature adolescent males -in mindset, if not necessarily in body- trying desperately to prove to themselves that they're ready for more than they truly are by denying themselves the things they once enjoyed and had no reason to stop enjoying. The latter at least requires a modicum of thought into the game's style, as opposed to knee-jerk fits of hormonal rage.

Complexity is not depth. Machismo is not maturity. Obsession is not dedication. Tedium is not challenge. Support gaming: support the Wii.

Be the ultimate ninja! Play Billy Vs. SNAKEMAN today! Poisson Village welcomes new players.

What do I hate about modern gaming? I hate tedium replacing challenge, complexity replacing depth, and domination replacing entertainment. I hate the outsourcing of mechanics to physics textbooks, art direction to photocopiers, and story to cheap Hollywood screenwriters. I hate the confusion of obsession with dedication, style with substance, new with gimmicky, old with obsolete, new with evolutionary, and old with time-tested.
There is much to hate about modern gaming. That is why I support the Wii.

There is way too much concentrated hate on this website. I'm open to, and understanding of, constructive critisicm, but Dragon Quest just gets hated on way too much, and it's fairly obvious that many of the haters have not given the series a proper chance, or any chance at all.

Millennium said:
Xen said:
All of it? especially the laughable art style... it looked.. childish. DQ8 didn't have that.

ZOMGKIDDY trolling? In other words, it's nothing but a handful of fratcore whining that it didn't go to a graphics-are-everything system. Not worth paying any attention to.

I'd like to see some links to Japanese sites complaining about the game looking 'kiddy'.  When DQVIII came out, people complained about THAT game looking 'kiddy' (due to its Anime cel shaded style).  I suspect many, if not all the 'kiddy' complaints for DQIX are coming from the same people.