By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Nintendo Discussion - Dragon Quest IX ... getting BAD reviews?!?!

Kenryoku_Maxis said:

In any event, to answer your original question, yes, there has been good Dragon Quest games.  Nearly all of them.  The only one I have though wasn't 'great' or 'amazing' was Dragon Quest VII.  And even considering it alone, its still a good game.

Fair enough. And I, for my part, acknowledge that I was a little too...extreme in voicing my opinion. Too many people like it for me to honestly and objectively say "it sucks." That said, I know for a fact that it's not a series that's for me.

Around the Network
noname2200 said:
Kenryoku_Maxis said:

In any event, to answer your original question, yes, there has been good Dragon Quest games.  Nearly all of them.  The only one I have though wasn't 'great' or 'amazing' was Dragon Quest VII.  And even considering it alone, its still a good game.

Fair enough. And I, for my part, acknowledge that I was a little too...extreme in voicing my opinion. Too many people like it for me to honestly and objectively say "it sucks." That said, I know for a fact that it's not a series that's for me.

I love you guys.

Kenryoku_Maxis said:
Millennium said:
Xen said:
All of it? especially the laughable art style... it looked.. childish. DQ8 didn't have that.

ZOMGKIDDY trolling? In other words, it's nothing but a handful of fratcore whining that it didn't go to a graphics-are-everything system. Not worth paying any attention to.

I'd like to see some links to Japanese sites complaining about the game looking 'kiddy'.  When DQVIII came out, people complained about THAT game looking 'kiddy' (due to its Anime cel shaded style).  I suspect many, if not all the 'kiddy' complaints for DQIX are coming from the same people.

"whoamg kiddy" is just an extension of the "it's not going to look like dragon quest viii!" waaaambulance. It's usually how you discern the Sony fanboys from the Dragon Quest fanboys. When DQ9 was announced for the DS the first thing cited in meltdowns was that the game would suck because it wouldn't have the "Realistic graphics" or "lifelike overworld" that DQ8 had. Anyone that's been into Dragon Quest knows that up until 8 the games used to look like this:

The only other game that looks like DQ8 is DQ Swords and guess what? That got trashed! DQ9 actually looks more like a merging of the old and the new, but if anyone is complaining about the graphics or the appearance of the characters...they're clearly into the wrong franchise.

Tag - "No trolling on my watch!"

Xxain said:
You Wii fanboys are ridiculous...its like they dont care about the games...just sales

Lol wtf??? This game is not even on the Wii bro it's on the DS.

ClaudeLv250 said:

"whoamg kiddy" is just an extension of the "it's not going to look like dragon quest viii!" waaaambulance. It's usually how you discern the Sony fanboys from the Dragon Quest fanboys. When DQ9 was announced for the DS the first thing cited in meltdowns was that the game would suck because it wouldn't have the "Realistic graphics" or "lifelike overworld" that DQ8 had. Anyone that's been into Dragon Quest knows that up until 8 the games used to look like this:

The only other game that looks like DQ8 is DQ Swords and guess what? That got trashed! DQ9 actually looks more like a merging of the old and the new, but if anyone is complaining about the graphics or the appearance of the characters...they're clearly into the wrong franchise.

Indeed.  I've known ever since the NES days that they weren't focusing on the graphics and more on gameplay/exploration.  Though the more recent games have been picking up more on the graphics, thankfully understanding that certain graphical enhancements aid the gameplay.

As for the topics of DQIX and DQSwords, its almost kind of impossible to talk seriously about them.  Both because they have an 'Anime style' and because they are on the DS/Wii.  Though I love both just fine, most people just tend to dismiss the series because its not one or another popular RPG series.  But now that its on one or another console that isn't considered 'adult' or 'hardcore' enough, its almost like the series is going to always be considered kiddy and taboo, even when this is its best chance to get popular because its on the two most popular systems.

And Square Enix isn't helping, with its next to no funding for marketing and horrible localizations.

Six upcoming games you should look into:

Around the Network

What the hell are you making out of me? a "kiddy" troll? a sony fanboy? gee, the people here are touchy. With the way DQ IX looks, how the hell am I supposed to take it seriously? I really mean it, I don't need to troll games for MY FAVORITE portable platform!

Xen said:
What the hell are you making out of me? a "kiddy" troll? a sony fanboy? gee, the people here are touchy. With the way DQ IX looks, how the hell am I supposed to take it seriously? I really mean it, I don't need to troll games for MY FAVORITE portable platform!

That sounds like a personal problem.

Do you want to talk about it?

Xen said:

If you can't get beyond a games graphics, then you probably can't say that the DS is your 'favorite' game system.

Six upcoming games you should look into:

I never said that it was. The PS2 is.

And also, now I can't say that an artstyle is bad? I don't have a problem with any of the other DS games I own, because all of them have great art.

I don't see how the art style is "bad." It's the exact same Toriyama world as all the other games.