By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Nintendo Discussion - Dragon Quest IX ... getting BAD reviews?!?!

Not really, since the characters are too small for my tastes... they all look like kids, unlike DQ VIII for example.

Around the Network

So basically they look like every other Dragon Quest character. Gotcha.

Tag - "No trolling on my watch!"

How so? take a look at the ones in the trailer, and then compare to DQ VIII...

I did compare them. The only difference is that they're slightly deformed, so they're more true to Dragon Quest and JRPGs in general.

There's no problem here.

Xen said:
I never said that it was. The PS2 is.

And also, now I can't say that an artstyle is bad? I don't have a problem with any of the other DS games I own, because all of them have great art.

You said it was your favorite portable system.  But if you want to get technical, PS2 was never known for having the best graphics, in its generation or now.

And you never commented on its art.  Just started complaining that you couldn't take it seriously.  I suppose that means by its art style (ie: kiddy)?

I have serious doubts that you have seen much Dragon Quest art.

Six upcoming games you should look into:

Around the Network
Xen said:
What the hell are you making out of me? a "kiddy" troll? a sony fanboy? gee, the people here are touchy. With the way DQ IX looks, how the hell am I supposed to take it seriously? I really mean it, I don't need to troll games for MY FAVORITE portable platform!

If you can't take DQIX seriously because of its art style... yeah, I would call that rather silly. Worse and more exaggerated than people who whined about "Celda".

Kenryoku_Maxis said:

Now I've only played DQIV and DQI, but that looks a LOT like the demon king from DQIV.... or maybe Psaro the Manslayer.

Kenryoku_Maxis said:
Xen said:
I never said that it was. The PS2 is.

And also, now I can't say that an artstyle is bad? I don't have a problem with any of the other DS games I own, because all of them have great art.

You said it was your favorite portable system.  But if you want to get technical, PS2 was never known for having the best graphics, in its generation or now.

And you never commented on its art.  Just started complaining that you couldn't take it seriously.  I suppose that means by its art style (ie: kiddy)?

I have serious doubts that you have seen much Dragon Quest art.

I don't care about graphics as long as they are SNES+ quality... I couldn't take it seriously because of the artstyle (related to graphics, too ). Heck, FF VI is my 3rd favorite game of all time and I played it for the first time in 2007.

Also, it all comes down to how the game itself looks... DQ VII's characters were designed so that you get their basic looks, and your imagination takes care of the rest... at least its like that with me.

outlawauron said:
jacks81x said:
Maynard_Tool said:
Xxain said:
Maynard_Tool said:
PullusPardus said:
Maynard_Tool said:
3 Million+ sales on 2 days... does it really matter???

yes it does matter to ACTUAL FANS of the series.

if your really a gamer you would buy a game you like not a game that sold alot.

Actual fans are not bitching about the game. They are enjoying it.

That's right, I buy games that I like.... not games that other people like/don't like...  like those who follow online reviews.

If you are a real fan of DQ you wouldn't bitch about the game being on X system. You just get the system, play it and enjoy it. That's it. Like most people who bought the game in Japan are doing. Not the few crying babies out there, complaining about the game being in the DS

dude...JAPAN WAS THE PPL COMPLAINING....they dont like the lowerd difficulty( preschool kids can play it with ease)

Ok... how many people bought the game??? 3M+... how many people are complaining?

404 Rated the game as 1 & 2 star. So we have 404 people complaining about the game...out of 3 million, not bad.

I mean, we're using amazon japan as the main source for this? Come on

Well, it's not really 404 out of 3 million since not all 3 million owners of DQIX bought it from Amazon. 

Or the fact it sold 2.3 million, not 3 million. And you do have to buy the game to give a review I believe.

Not true.  If you have an Amazon account, you can review any product in their database, whether you bought it or not.

Switch Code: SW-7377-9189-3397 -- Nintendo Network ID: theRepublic -- Steam ID: theRepublic

Now Playing
Switch - Super Mario Maker 2 (2019)
Switch - The Legend of Zelda: Link's Awakening (2019)
Switch - Bastion (2011/2018)
3DS - Star Fox 64 3D (2011)
3DS - Phoenix Wright: Ace Attorney (Trilogy) (2005/2014)
Wii U - Darksiders: Warmastered Edition (2010/2017)
Mobile - The Simpson's Tapped Out and Yugioh Duel Links
PC - Deep Rock Galactic (2020)

Please, the charade is up. Stop pretending like you like Dragon Quest and bash DQ9 for the same reasons as everyone else. This "art style" whining is pure BS.