By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Gaming Discussion - Is New Super Mario Bros. Wii Nintendo’s reaction to Sony’s LittleBigPlanet?

Is New Super Mario Bros. Wii Nintendo’s reaction to Sony’s LittleBigPlanet?

Ever since New Super Mario Bros. Wii has been announced at E3 I wondered why Nintendo is making this game. A mainline Super Mario game has already been released in the form of Galaxy and the sequel is already in the works and going to be launched in 2010. Why does the Wii need yet another Mario game? 

Then it hit me: This might be Nintendo’s answer to the widely successful LittleBigPlanet which Sony released in the holiday season 2008. There are just too many similarities between these two games. Don’t believe me?

“But, but… the bottom picture has Yoshis!”

Fanboys, listen up. Nintendo has been notorious for copying Sony in the past, the most recent example I can think of is Animal Crossing: City Folk which was launched in response to Sony’s Home. New Super Mario Bros. Wii is a strikingly similar case as it is once again a glorified port of a DS game.

Ever since Sony entered the hardware side of the video game business with the PlayStation, Nintendo had trouble to keep up with the trends. Be it the use of optical media, the dual analog controller or motion controlled games which Sony already introduced on the PS2 with the EyeToy (Sony talking about the future of gaming, article from 2003). The cockiest example would be Nintendo ripping off the Dualshock controller and releasing it as their Classic Controller for the Wii.

“No, that’s not a rip off! Look at the shoulder buttons!”

It’s time to face the cold, hard truth. It’s pretty clear who has been the industry leader and who has been the follower in the past decade. But I don’t want to get too much sidetracked here, so let’s get back to the main issue.

Both games, LBP and NSMB Wii, offer accessible fun for any kind of gamer and cooperative gameplay for up to four players. Both are flagship titles of their respective companies. And once again Nintendo is entirely riding in Sony’s slipstream. Sony laid the groundwork for a 2D platformer to succeed on a home console and Nintendo is jumping on the bandwagon.

I really miss the days when Nintendo would introduce powerful hardware instead of a Gamecube 2.0 with a waggle controller. The Super NES era was when Nintendo was in its hey days. Mode 7 allowed amazing pseudo 3D titles to be made (F-Zero, Pilotwings, Super Mario Kart) which would not only look great for their time, but also play fantasticly, thanks to the brilliant controller.

Nowadays Nintendo is only a former shadow of themselves. Sure, they are back at the top of the industry, but it hurts my heart to see why they are there. Not because they made awesome games like they used to, but because of software which supposedly improves your mind or fitness, Nintendogs and “great” third party exclusives like Carnival Games and Game Party.

Vaio - "Bury me at Milanello"      R.I.P AC Milan

In the 60's, people took acid to make the world weird.
Now the world is weird  and people take Prozac  to make it normal.

If laughing is the best medicine and marijuana makes you laugh

Is marijuana the best medicine?

"Be who you are and say what you feel, because those who mind don't matter and those who matter don't mind."

“If any creator has not played Mario, then they’re probably not a good creator. That’s something I can say with 100 percent confidence. Mario is, for game creators, the development bible.

Around the Network

Where is the link? or did you write this?

um... I'm at a lost of words on this one...  is this sarcasm? 

I game.  You game.  We game.

I'm a videogamer, not a fanboy, but have a special place for Nintendo.

Current Systems Owned: NSwitch/PS4/XONE/WiiU/3DS/2DS/PCGaming Rig-i7/ASUS i7 Gaming Laptop.

Previous Game Consoles:  PS3/Xbox360/Wii/DSL/Pretty much every one thats been released since the Atari 2600.

Not too shabby...needs to talk about how the Gamecube controller had rumble installed in it...after the Dualshock did. The two-stick controller also needs to be mentioned.

Edit: I forgot about how Nintendo totally stole Shadow of the Collosus' boss battles for making Mario Galaxy. That needs to be said.

Edit 2: AND they stole the idea of spherical worlds from a Sony game!

Edit 3: Holy S***!!! A 2D-game level editor being the point.....Mario vs. Donkey Kong: Mini's March Again is ALSO stealing off Little Big Planet!!!

Edit 4: Guys...didn't Sony's PS2 Network Adaptor predate the Gamecube's? I'm starting to see a pattern...

Is this a joke?
Did you post this, or is it from some article?

Edit:NVM it's from an article.

tag:"reviews only matter for the real hardcore gamer"

Around the Network

Sony laid the groundwork for a 2D platformer to succeed on a home console and Nintendo is jumping on the bandwagon.
Somebody get me the GIF of Orson Welles clapping right now.

I love the last paragraph, this guy is... well I'm not going to say as I don't like to insult ignorant people - but he needs to get his facts straight before posting something like this - I stopped taking it seriously after he said Animal Crossing: City Folk was a reaction to HOME :)

Currently dreaming of: DKC4 or Sonic the Hedgehog 4 (classic 2D platformers) for WiiWare, Smash Bros. for DSi, New Super Mario World for DSi, a Wii remake or true sequel of Final Fantasy Tactics.

One down, hopefully more awesomeness to come.

wow what???.....cityfolk was a answer to HOME...THIS ARTICLE IS CRAZY

Why does Nintendo need an answer to LBP? I'm confused.....

Nintendo still doomed?
Feel free to add me on 3DS or Switch! (PM me if you do ^-^)
Nintendo ID: Mako91                  3DS code: 4167-4543-6089

This = lols

Mario = LBP rip-off confirmed!