By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Gaming Discussion - Is New Super Mario Bros. Wii Nintendo’s reaction to Sony’s LittleBigPlanet?

Haha. This guy's stuff is brilliant. It's pretty damn hilarious.

Thanks for posting this!

Around the Network
Kantor said:

Except that LBP did sell.

And admit it, if LBP was on the Wii in its current form with Mario as Sackboy, and it was called "Super Mario Planet" it would have sold at least triple what it will sell now. Yes, quality sometimes sells, but it's by no means the largest factor. It's actually one of the smallest.

LBP did decent, sure, but it came nowhere near meeting the hype the media and gamers put on it. I guess your point is true, since LBP did manage to sell over a mil units - sometimes games without quality do sell.

I guess I'm the only one who really liked little big planet? This may be a joke thread but I'm not joking when I say that I'm disappointed that NSMB Wii won't have any of the online features that Little Big Planet had.

Now Playing!

^ This is you!

Holy shit. I mean, how could they get this any further backwards?

Monster Hunter: pissing me off since 2010.

Sony copied Nintendo. Nintendo had the first:

- Rumble
- Analog Stick
- D-pad
- "Dual-4" SNES button scheme. RIPPED OFF 3 TIMES.
- Motion control on a system controller (Wii)
- First VG motion control in the last 10 years (GB Kirby cart)
- VG motion control EVER! (PowerGlove)

Also, more ownage on this douchey article:

- Mario Predates LBP on all terms
- NSMBW is NOT A PORT.
- There are MARIO levels on LBP online.
- Animal Crossing came out before home, and had online... ON THE GAMECUBE AND DS.
- Animal Crossing is nothing like Home. Home is much more BORING.
- Sony is ripping off of the Wii again by making their stupid purple dildo "wand"
- Nintendo put out another Mario because everyone was complaining about Nintendo not having enough "core" 1st party titles (although they put out more than SONY namely)...

Fanboys? What a hypocrite. t's guys like this guy who almost make me ashamed of owning a PS3...

Around the Network

^You forgot that Sony copied the name playstation of Nintendo...

Anyway this article is sarcasm, don't take it so seriously...

silentmac said:
I guess I'm the only one who really liked little big planet? This may be a joke thread but I'm not joking when I say that I'm disappointed that NSMB Wii won't have any of the online features that Little Big Planet had.

I too am a big fan of LBP and disappointed that NSMB Wii will lack online features a year after it's competitors have given us such.  Had this had that feature much like LBP it would've been a system seller for me.  I love platformers.  I've wanted more co-op platformers since the days of Chip and Dales rescue rangers  and have been sorely lacking.  Online is a key for me because I can't always get together with my friends and would love to still have a blast with them.

Halfway through the article I was checking to see if the TC was Rol.  Pretty hilarious. Kudos for finding this gem.

nitekrawler1285 said:
silentmac said:

I too am a big fan of LBP and disappointed that NSMB Wii will lack online features a year after it's competitors have given us such.  Had this had that feature much like LBP it would've been a system seller for me.  I love platformers.  I've wanted more co-op platformers since the days of Chip and Dales rescue rangers  and have been sorely lacking.  Online is a key for me because I can't always get together with my friends and would love to still have a blast with them.

Halfway through the article I was checking to see if the TC was Rol.  Pretty hilarious. Kudos for finding this gem.

Yeah think how long the thread would be to play VGChartz people in this.  It would totally be a system seller.  Don't get me wrong.  I will buy it day 1.  But Nintendo is majorly dissappointing in this area.

Now Playing!

^ This is you!

Yep, Nintendo would never have done a new super mario brothers game, like the one that sold well over 10 million on the DS, if Sony didn't release their mildly successful little big planet.

Oh, wait, that's silly.

When it comes to gaming, Nintendo is bigger than Sony. And when it come to franchises, Nintendo has the biggest by far. Mario. Do you really think they're going to respond to just another game with a Mario game? They don't care about little big planet.

vaio said:

Fanboys, listen up. Nintendo has been notorious for copying Sony in the past, the most recent example I can think of is [Animal Crossing: City Folk which was launched in response to Sony’s Home.] New Super Mario Bros. Wii is a strikingly similar case as it is once again [a glorified port] of a DS game.

Ever since Sony entered the hardware side of the video game business with the PlayStation, Nintendo had trouble to keep up with the trends. Be it the use of optical media, the dual analog controller or motion controlled games which Sony already introduced on the PS2 with the EyeToy (Sony talking about the future of gaming, article from 2003). [The cockiest example would be Nintendo ripping off the Dualshock controller and releasing it as their Classic Controller for the Wii].

“No, that’s not a rip off! Look at the shoulder buttons!”

Both games, LBP and NSMB Wii, offer accessible fun for any kind of gamer and cooperative gameplay for up to four players. Both are flagship titles of their respective companies. And once again [Nintendo is entirely riding in Sony’s slipstream]. [Sony laid the groundwork for a 2D platformer to succeed on a home console and Nintendo is jumping on the bandwagon].

I really miss the days when Nintendo would introduce powerful hardware instead of a Gamecube 2.0 with a waggle controller. The Super NES era was when Nintendo was in its hey days. Mode 7 allowed amazing pseudo 3D titles to be made (F-Zero, Pilotwings, Super Mario Kart) which would not only look great for their time, but also play fantasticly, thanks to the brilliant controller.

Nowadays Nintendo is only a former shadow of themselves. Sure, they are back at the top of the industry, but it hurts my heart to see why they are there. Not because they made awesome games like they used to, but because of software which supposedly improves your mind or fitness, Nintendogs and “great” third party exclusives like Carnival Games and Game Party.

Animal Crossing City Folk is actually the 4th game in the series after Wild World on the DS and two more iterations previous to that, one on the GameCube, another on the N64 which was released back in 2001. AC predates Home by a few years. After the success of the DS version a Wii version was inevitable - regardless of wether Home had been made available or not. So to say it was launched in response is a blatant lie. Next, you cannot say that New Super Mario Bros Wii is a glorfied port because you have not played it and bar E3 impressions no-one outside Nintendo has spent quality time with it to be in a position to judge it. Thirdly Nintendo did not copy the Dualshock with the Classic Controller, the CC looks the way it does because of the control layout of the games available on VC. Even if the Dualshock hadn't been invented the CC would look the same. So this is again something that is just completely wrong. What slipstream? The Wii has outsold the PS3 by roughly 29 million units, has a far greater marketshare and the PS3 is outsold on a weekly basis. So this slipstream cannot be one based on sales, or sales revenue, or profit as Nintendo is far ahead of sony in all areas. So, what slipstream? Sony did not lay ther groundwork, before the PS1 there were 2 consoles called the NES & SNES. Both were home consoles and had very successful 2D games. The NES laid groundwork, the SNES perfected it. There highly successful, influential and high quality 2D games on home consoles years before the PlayStation was even thought of. So again, just a total lie. This is without a shadow of doubt one of the worst peices of tripe I have ever had the misfortune of laying eyes upon.