By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Gaming Discussion - Is New Super Mario Bros. Wii Nintendo’s reaction to Sony’s LittleBigPlanet?

"Fanboys, listen up. Nintendo has been notorious for copying Sony in the past, the most recent example I can think of is Animal Crossing: City Folk which was launched in response to Sony’s Home."

...how did the guy who wrote that figure out how to work a computer?

I don't need your console war.
It feeds the rich while it buries the poor.
You're power hungry, spinnin' stories, and bein' graphics whores.
I don't need your console war.

NO NO, NO NO NO.

Around the Network
bardicverse said:
Kantor said:

Except that LBP did sell.

And admit it, if LBP was on the Wii in its current form with Mario as Sackboy, and it was called "Super Mario Planet" it would have sold at least triple what it will sell now. Yes, quality sometimes sells, but it's by no means the largest factor. It's actually one of the smallest.

LBP did decent, sure, but it came nowhere near meeting the hype the media and gamers put on it. I guess your point is true, since LBP did manage to sell over a mil units - sometimes games without quality do sell.

Decent? It sold well over 2 million.

I hate double standards- No More Heroes sold 400k on Wii and it's considered a success, but LBP sold 2.2 million (and counting) on PS3, and it's not? And LBP is an awesome game, you were just too busy comparing it to Mario to realise.

On another topic, it's amazing how many people are taking this article seriously. I bet you guys are the ones who always fall for Rol threads.

(Former) Lead Moderator and (Eternal) VGC Detective

bardicverse said:
Kantor said:

Except that LBP did sell.

And admit it, if LBP was on the Wii in its current form with Mario as Sackboy, and it was called "Super Mario Planet" it would have sold at least triple what it will sell now. Yes, quality sometimes sells, but it's by no means the largest factor. It's actually one of the smallest.

LBP did decent, sure, but it came nowhere near meeting the hype the media and gamers put on it. I guess your point is true, since LBP did manage to sell over a mil units - sometimes games without quality do sell.

Decent? It sold well over 2 million.

I hate double standards- No More Heroes sold 400k on Wii and it's considered a success, but LBP sold 2.2 million (and counting) on PS3, and it's not? And LBP is an awesome game, you were just too busy comparing it to Mario to realise.

On another topic, it's amazing how many people are taking this article seriously. I bet you guys are the ones who always fall for Rol threads.

(Former) Lead Moderator and (Eternal) VGC Detective

kantor - decent, as people were hyping it to sell 5 mil, and be the "mario killer". I correlate its sales to its predicted sales, as Im refering to the hype machine.

as for the game itself, it was pretty miuch super mario with a level editor with polished graphics. It was ok for what it was, but definitely nothing of a WOW factor. The key selling point of the game is the editor.

bardicverse said:
kantor - decent, as people were hyping it to sell 5 mil, and be the "mario killer". I correlate its sales to its predicted sales, as Im refering to the hype machine.

as for the game itself, it was pretty miuch super mario with a level editor with polished graphics. It was ok for what it was, but definitely nothing of a WOW factor. The key selling point of the game is the editor.

So you are saying that it has something worth mentioning that Mario doesn't?  A level editor and 4 player online?

Don't get me wrong.  I love Mario, but that doesn't take away from the fact that Little Big Planet was a great game too.

Now Playing!

^ This is you!

Around the Network

lol Nintendo makes what they want to make they wouldn't care about their completion's other franchise because Nintendo franchises will defeat microsoft's/sony's frachinses

silentmac - Yes, but the point is, in relation to the article in the OP. If LBP is a current mario bros with a level editor, it doesnt make is a whole new style of game. LBP is/was Sony's attempt at making a "Mario bros" game for their platform. the OP suggests that Nintendo decided to make a new Mario because of LBP. There's not enough in LBP to have gotten Nintendo's attention. SMB4 is more of Nintendo milking the Mario franchise in another way than it is them reacting to LBP. Mario platformers have had better sales than LBP did, I think Nintendo already has their formula set.

bardicverse said:
silentmac - Yes, but the point is, in relation to the article in the OP. If LBP is a current mario bros with a level editor, it doesnt make is a whole new style of game. LBP is/was Sony's attempt at making a "Mario bros" game for their platform. the OP suggests that Nintendo decided to make a new Mario because of LBP. There's not enough in LBP to have gotten Nintendo's attention. SMB4 is more of Nintendo milking the Mario franchise in another way than it is them reacting to LBP. Mario platformers have had better sales than LBP did, I think Nintendo already has their formula set.

All of that is true, I am just bitter because N can't seem to get their shit together when it comes to online...

Now Playing!

^ This is you!

silentmac said:
bardicverse said:

All of that is true, I am just bitter because N can't seem to get their shit together when it comes to online...

When you mention Nintendo and online, I share the sentiment of your avatar

What? The most strange and anoying article I've ever read..... horrible