By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Gaming Discussion - Is New Super Mario Bros. Wii Nintendo’s reaction to Sony’s LittleBigPlanet?

ssj12 said:
Khuutra said:
Sony laid the groundwork for a 2D platformer to succeed on a home console and Nintendo is jumping on the bandwagon.
Somebody get me the GIF of Orson Welles clapping right now.

I'll do one better

Why so serious?

Predictions:Sales of Wii Fit will surpass the combined sales of the Grand Theft Auto franchiseLifetime sales of Wii will surpass the combined sales of the entire Playstation family of consoles by 12/31/2015 Wii hardware sales will surpass the total hardware sales of the PS2 by 12/31/2010 Wii will have 50% marketshare or more by the end of 2008 (I was wrong!!  It was a little over 48% only)Wii will surpass 45 Million in lifetime sales by the end of 2008 (I was wrong!!  Nintendo Financials showed it fell slightly short of 45 million shipped by end of 2008)Wii will surpass 80 Million in lifetime sales by the end of 2009 (I was wrong!! Wii didn't even get to 70 Million)

Around the Network
Kantor said:
bardicverse said:
Kantor said:

Except that LBP did sell.

And admit it, if LBP was on the Wii in its current form with Mario as Sackboy, and it was called "Super Mario Planet" it would have sold at least triple what it will sell now. Yes, quality sometimes sells, but it's by no means the largest factor. It's actually one of the smallest.

LBP did decent, sure, but it came nowhere near meeting the hype the media and gamers put on it. I guess your point is true, since LBP did manage to sell over a mil units - sometimes games without quality do sell.

Decent? It sold well over 2 million.

I hate double standards- No More Heroes sold 400k on Wii and it's considered a success, but LBP sold 2.2 million (and counting) on PS3, and it's not? And LBP is an awesome game, you were just too busy comparing it to Mario to realise.

On another topic, it's amazing how many people are taking this article seriously. I bet you guys are the ones who always fall for Rol threads.

Didn't Luigi's mansion sell more than 2 million?

Predictions:Sales of Wii Fit will surpass the combined sales of the Grand Theft Auto franchiseLifetime sales of Wii will surpass the combined sales of the entire Playstation family of consoles by 12/31/2015 Wii hardware sales will surpass the total hardware sales of the PS2 by 12/31/2010 Wii will have 50% marketshare or more by the end of 2008 (I was wrong!!  It was a little over 48% only)Wii will surpass 45 Million in lifetime sales by the end of 2008 (I was wrong!!  Nintendo Financials showed it fell slightly short of 45 million shipped by end of 2008)Wii will surpass 80 Million in lifetime sales by the end of 2009 (I was wrong!! Wii didn't even get to 70 Million)

Why is everybody insulting the guy? I agree with him. New Super Mario Bros has LittleBigPlanet written all over it. I even saw Yoshi in some LBP levels.

^^^^ You even saw Yoshi? Rip-off (I know he's sarcastic)

I tried to like LBP, but then I thought it wasn't fun at all. People get worked up over "trends", "oh User Generated Content" "Online". I don't care about your agendas for what you think the future of technology should be like. This is entertainement, is it fun? That's what really matters.

LBP being held to such a pedestal prematurely seemed like such a joke after I played it. The game is a bad attempt at being quality entertainment, it's a chore through and through. It's not rewarding and it's not fun. Leave technology "trends" out of my entertainment please.

Around the Network

Serious article or not it's comedy gold. People need to stop freaking out about stuff like this. Why's it matter if some idiot wrote this up? Anyone who agrees with him is too stupid to matter anyway. Learn to laugh at things like this. You'll be much happier.

this reminds me of the article stating The Dark Knights got its influences from MGS

All hail the KING, Andrespetmonkey

naznatips said:
Serious article or not it's comedy gold. People need to stop freaking out about stuff like this. Why's it matter if some idiot wrote this up? Anyone who agrees with him is too stupid to matter anyway. Learn to laugh at things like this. You'll be much happier.

People laughed it away until it ceased being funny. It's like the guy who's telling a bad joke that you feel you need to laugh to, but then he keeps repeating it over and over again. Sometimes not even as a joke really.

When it borders on irrationality laughing away isn't sufficient, you may encourage it to continue.

1.Hey! Viao never does his own articles =P

2. Look! NSMBwii is a reaction but… well I’ll use vgc numbers which I never use because they are pull from magical navi dust clouds.

3. Listen! So I decided to do a fair comparison:

http://www.vgchartz.com/swlaunch.php?reg1=All&game1=LittleBigPlanet+-+PS3&reg2=Japan&game2=New+Super+Mario+Bros+-+DS&reg3=All&game3=&weeks=100

4. Watch Out! As we can see clearly LBP is the inspiration of Mario.

I'm Unamerica and you can too.

The Official Huge Monster Hunter Thread: 

The Hunt Begins 4/20/2010 =D

what's going on here ?