By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Microsoft Discussion - 2008 Year of the PS3 ? - No big games anymore for the XBOX 360 and Wii ?

As we currently live in 2007 and the most important period for gamesales is around the corner I wouldn't talk about 2008 (or 2009 FFXIII). Sony might have good games coming up, but they're going to lose incredibly the coming months.
Just to mention some Wii exclusives coming out the next 3 months (hmm compare that to the gamecube times):

Super Mario Galaxy
Super Smash Bros Brawl
Batallion Wars Wii
Manhunt 2 (next gen excl)
Zack & Wicki
Fire Emblem X
MoH: Heroes 2 (console excl)
Rayman Raving Rabbids 2
RE:UC
Soul Calibur Legends
Mario & Sonic at the Olympics
NiGHTS

And what has PS3?
These Wii games will sell a lot, will sell a lot of Wii's, and... are still there in 2008.

Around the Network

This is not all Wii-Games for the year 2008. There is coming more for sure, good and bad games.

Its like the DS, IMO. Next year the Wii get alot of good games. 

While Sony announces more and more titles earlier and earlier to try and build hype while pushing games out of development sooner than developers would like. Nintendo is announcing less and less titles to maintain a greater control over future projects and pushes more and more games further back to make sure they're done right. While the 360 gladly gobbles up most third party titles that were once meant to be only for the PS3 that are now desperate to adopt cross platform support in order to turn a profit on their games they put so much money into to make HD. And You're telling us that the Wii and 360 owners are the ones who should be worried?

TheBigFatJ said:

Consider that Metal Gear Solid 4 has a fantastic chance of coming out on the 360, and there is also a chance that Final Fantasy 13 will be released on the 360 in 2009, the same year as the PS3. So your top 'PS3-exclusives' have questionable exclusivity.

oh boy, here we go.

Firstly the only people questionning the exclusivity of FF13 and MGS4 are people who either want that game on their system, or want the PS3 to fail. No one official has ever made any claim EVER saying this game MIGHT EVER come to ANOTHER SYSTEM. In fact at TGS SE reassured everybody that FF13 is still a PS3 exclusive. Kojima has stated several times that MGS4 is an exclusive.

Secondly, I don't see how this is going to be the year of the PS3. Sure it has some great titles coming out, but you actually listed and bundled more games for the 360. And lets face it, the Wii only needs at least one or two good games to keep it on top thanks to it's price. It's been living off Wii Sports for how long now?

From that list I will be picking up MGS4 (for the only console it is currently coming out on), Killzone 2 (if it's good, but I kinda liked the first game), LittleBigPlanet and Home (although Home is free and not really a game and will be download only, so I don't really see how many systems this will sell). I will probably pick up a 360 alongside Fable 2, and get classics such as Halo 3, GeOW and Halo Wars at a reduced price. *rubs hands*

Around the Network
picsouuu said:
my friend
gran turismo is 10 millions sellers ( its like halo )
metal gear solid 4 . (millions sellers
killzone 2 (millions sellers)
the gateway (millions sellers
infamous
heavy rain (quantic dreaaaaaaamm)
jak & daxter(millions seller)
tekken 6(millions seller)
white knight story
yakuza 3
8 days
la noir (rockstar)
africa
2 days 2 vegas
wardevil
socom 4(millions seller)
the agency
Valkyrie of the Battlefield
way of samurai 3
bumby trot 2
diagaea 3
shin megami tensei 3

star ocean 4
resistance 2
motorstom 2
gow 3
team ico game
FF 13
FF versus
persona 4?

just some great exclusives from great studios

only 1 problem with this logic, those sales are from when those series were on a system with a massive installed base, Resident evil as a series has a sales nose dived when it switch from ps1 to dreamcast/gamecube

wait 2 problems, remember when the original Mortal Kombat was the end all and be all of popularity? times change peoples opinions and interests change look at Fonzerelli's topic on need for speed sales as a series decaying 6 million units between 2 releases, established names mean something but not everything

I HAVE A DOUBLE DRAGON CAB IN MY KITCHEN!!!!!!

NOW A PUNISHER CAB!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Girl Gamer Elite said:
Six months ago I'm sure people would have told you that Lair and Heavenly Sword would have spelled doom for the 360 or Wii line up as well.

Exactly. Those titles were supposed to ignite "THE STORM" way back in June. When these titles don't turn around the PS3's fortunes(they will increase sales, but not drastically change the market), I am sure we will just get a new list of games that will being "The Storm".

MGS4 will not be exclusive. I'm sorry but it won't, Konami's been squirming too much on the subject. If anything it'll be timed exclusive, but it will come to Xbox 360 eventually and there's nothing Kojima can do about.

Tag - "No trolling on my watch!"

Yeah I agree, put Alan Wake in bold right now!

Alan Wake will be next years big surprise á la Bioshock - getting superb reviews and great world wide sales (I predict around 3 million).

Some X360 exclusive titles that the thread-maker forgot:

* World in Conflict (the PC-hit RTS game)
* Universe at War
* untitled game directed by Peter Jackson

... plus these Massive multiplayer titles:
* Age of Conan
* Huxley
* Warhammer Online

SamuelRSmith said:
Firstly the only people questionning the exclusivity of FF13 and MGS4 are people who either want that game on their system, or want the PS3 to fail. No one official has ever made any claim EVER saying this game MIGHT EVER come to ANOTHER SYSTEM. In fact at TGS SE reassured everybody that FF13 is still a PS3 exclusive. Kojima has stated several times that MGS4 is an exclusive.

Perhaps they like the idea of multiplatform games, or perhaps they believe that MGS4 will come out for the 360, since Konami has been wiggling on that forever. And Square-Enix has been publically complaining about Sony not doing enough -- if sales don't increase significantly, they could announce FF13 for the 360. Especially in the US.

Kojima doesn't control on which platforms MGS4 is released. He's stated before that the PS3 has no significant technical advantages over the 360 and he selected it because it was newer and fewer have developed for it. That doesn't make business sense, of course, but Kojima is not a business man. He's a producer.

We could go on and on all day about why or why not MGS4 may come out for the 360. But at the end of the day the following are true:

(1) There are no significant technical limitations that would make porting difficult

(2) It makes good business sense -- the 360 will have a much better US installed base for the foreseeable future.

(3) Konami has been rumbling about MGS4 coming to the 360 for some time.

So why hasn't it been announced yet? Because Konami is negotiating with Microsoft right now. Microsoft, of course, wants it on the 360 and they want to get it cheap. They know Konami wants to release it on the 360 because it will certainly improve Konami's bottom line. Konami wants to get bonus money, or bonus condition X for releasing MGS4 on the 360. They know that Microsoft wants it badly and it will increase Microsoft's bottom line, so they want a piece of that.