By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Microsoft Discussion - 2008 Year of the PS3 ? - No big games anymore for the XBOX 360 and Wii ?

-I'm only interested in FF XIII and White Knight Story from your PS3 list. To me personally, that's not big.
-For the 360, I'm interested in 7 games. Lost Odessey, Fable 2, Ninja Gaiden, Alan Wake, Halo Wars, Too Human, and Gears of War 2.
-For the Wii, I am looking forward to Disaster:Day of Crisis, Dragon Quest Swords, Final Fantasy Crystal Chronicles, WiiFit, Space Station Tycoon, Sadness (If it comes out), Mario Kart Wii, Samurai Warriors Katana, King Story, and Sword of Legendia. So, 10 games.

Tag: Hawk - Reluctant Dark Messiah (provided by fkusumot)

Around the Network

Nintendo doesn't need to push future games as much as it did before since, well, it's selling great in the present!

2008 will once again be the year of the Wii/DS in terms of hardware sales. In terms of games things do look really good for PS3 so far, if only because all of their major 2007 games were delayed.

The Sony Hype Machine strikes again. Nobody has any idea whether or not these games will be any good or not. All we know is that they've been hyped to hell with screenshots and FMVs.

Remember how Lair, Heavenly Sword, Warhawk, Gundam Musou, HSG5, Resistance, and Motorstorm were all hyped as the PS3's "system seller"? Yep, me too. Now guess how many of them actually WERE system-sellers.

Zero.

Therefore, I'm holding off judgment until the games are, you know, actually released.

"'Casual games' are something the 'Game Industry' invented to explain away the Wii success instead of actually listening or looking at what Nintendo did. There is no 'casual strategy' from Nintendo. 'Accessible strategy', yes, but ‘casual gamers’ is just the 'Game Industry''s polite way of saying what they feel: 'retarded gamers'."

-Sean Malstrom

As noted already, Sony is the only one really hyping future games right now. The 360's line-up appears largely known, but more may be coming before the holiday season.
Wii, really we have no idea. Nintendo has stated they won't be hyping up games until they are soon to be released (so only 2-4 months in advance). Also we know a lot of 3rd parties have opened Wii studios or redirected resources. We don't know what any of those studios are doing currently, and AAA games probably won't be announced until the Spring or Summer of '08.
So like '07 where the Wii started with a mostly bare cupboard but is ending with a bang, '08 will likely play out in a similar manner.
So in a nutshell, we really won't know until we get there.

HappySqurriel said:

The PS3's line-up for 2008 looks good at the moment because every major game that was supposed to be released in 2007 was delayed into 2008 and every game that has an unknown release date is assumed to come out in 2008; many of these games can see further delays or be ported.

At the same time Nintendo and Microsoft have not been hyping their 2008 games yet because they want to focus everyone on the games they're releasing today; Nintendo (for example) wants everyone buying Mario Galaxy, Metroid and Super Smash Bros they don't want people focusing their attention on a game that won't be released for 14 to 16 months.

That is all that needs to be said. 

We are just entering the 2007 holiday season, any hyping of 2008 game lineups (PS3) should hardly be considered a positive thing.

We don't provide the 'easy to program for' console that they [developers] want, because 'easy to program for' means that anybody will be able to take advantage of pretty much what the hardware can do, so the question is what do you do for the rest of the nine and half years? It's a learning process. - SCEI president Kaz Hirai

It's a virus where you buy it and you play it with your friends and they're like, "Oh my God that's so cool, I'm gonna go buy it." So you stop playing it after two months, but they buy it and they stop playing it after two months but they've showed it to someone else who then go out and buy it and so on. Everyone I know bought one and nobody turns it on. - Epic Games president Mike Capps

We have a real culture of thrift. The goal that I had in bringing a lot of the packaged goods folks into Activision about 10 years ago was to take all the fun out of making video games. - Activision CEO Bobby Kotick

Around the Network

@sinha

You got that right. The 2008 line-up shouldn't be focused now. We should worry about the 2007 holiday line-up and seeing that 360 and Wii has in it their hands PS3 can just sit back and chill, cause there is no chance in hell will they surpass the 360 and Wii this christmas.

W29 said:
@sinha

You got that right. The 2008 line-up shouldn't be focused now. We should worry about the 2007 holiday line-up and seeing that 360 and Wii has in it their hands PS3 can just sit back and chill, cause there is no chance in hell will they surpass the 360 and Wii this christmas.

Unless, of course, the 2008 lineup is all you have

After reading more posts, I'm going to agree with what most people here are saying -- even if MGS4 and FF13 stay exclusive, Sony probably has the weakest (although perhaps best known) lineup for 2008. 

Six months ago I'm sure people would have told you that Lair and Heavenly Sword would have spelled doom for the 360 or Wii line up as well.

Girl Gamer Elite said:
Six months ago I'm sure people would have told you that Lair and Heavenly Sword would have spelled doom for the 360 or Wii line up as well.

Lair, Heavenly Sword, Ninja Gaiden Sigma, and Warhawk have all underperformed imo. I'm not sure any of those games will break 500,000. That said, I would buy Warhawk if I had a PS3. Also in terms of games for the Wii in 2008, I think Red Steel 2 will be a pleasant surprise. I respect Ubisoft and predict they will get the sequel right.

Astrodust said:
Girl Gamer Elite said:

Lair, Heavenly Sword, Ninja Gaiden Sigma, and Warhawk have all underperformed imo. I'm not sure any of those games will break 500,000. That said, I would buy Warhawk if I had a PS3. Also in terms of games for the Wii in 2008, I think Red Steel 2 will be a pleasant surprise. I respect Ubisoft and predict they will get the sequel right.

Exactly, but only one problem. Didn't Capcom make Red Steel?