By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Gaming Discussion - Should there be love stories in JRPGs?

Is Xenogears really that good? I had a copy before but my sister broke it before i could play it.

Is it worth buying again? I mean i'd wager that its worth quite a bit and/or is rare.

@OP

Love stories aren't really necessary for a good story in a JRPG however I generally prefer JRPGS with good love stories in them when compared to JRPGS with no love story, so I think theredefenetly should be love stories in JRPGs.

Around the Network

If done right a love story is good in any form of entertainment (be it movies, books, video games, etc.)
For instance, my Favorite 3D JRPG is Final Fantasy VIII and a good portion of that story is Squall and Riona's (am I remembering her name correctly? its been a few years) love story. On the other hand my favorite RPG ever is Final Fantasy Tactics and it doesn't have a love story (involving the main character at least, well I guess you could argue the entire story is a love story - as in Ramza's love of truth, justice, and his loved ones (his sister) but not a Romantic love story at least).

Currently dreaming of: DKC4 or Sonic the Hedgehog 4 (classic 2D platformers) for WiiWare, Smash Bros. for DSi, New Super Mario World for DSi, a Wii remake or true sequel of Final Fantasy Tactics.

One down, hopefully more awesomeness to come.

g-value said:
S.T.A.G.E. said:
outlawauron said:
S.T.A.G.E. said:

Since when have I said that I hate JRPG's? All I've said is that they should be assigned to a new genre...and this gen, their genre hasn't been that impressive.

And Star Ocean 4 will only solidify that opinion. It isn't a good game.

Star Ocean is the only JRPG that is Sci-Fi. I love Sci-Fi. Why should I worry about Tales of Vesperia, when Dragon Age will give me my Wizard, Warrior, RPG fix? Alpha Protocol will give me my modern RPG fix and Borderlands will give me my future wasteland fix, much like Fallout 3. FFXIII and Star Ocean IV are the only Sci-Fi JRPG's that I see this gen...so those are the only ones on my mind.

Because Tales of Vesperia is awesome and Star Ocean 4 is......not so awesome. Just take a look at this video

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=08dxBn4ZaCU

After looking at that video, I might just TOV before Star Ocean IV.

S.T.A.G.E. said:
g-value said:
S.T.A.G.E. said:
outlawauron said:
S.T.A.G.E. said:

Since when have I said that I hate JRPG's? All I've said is that they should be assigned to a new genre...and this gen, their genre hasn't been that impressive.

Star Ocean is the only JRPG that is Sci-Fi. I love Sci-Fi. Why should I worry about Tales of Vesperia, when Dragon Age will give me my Wizard, Warrior, RPG fix? Alpha Protocol will give me my modern RPG fix and Borderlands will give me my future wasteland fix, much like Fallout 3. FFXIII and Star Ocean IV are the only Sci-Fi JRPG's that I see this gen...so those are the only ones on my mind.

Because Tales of Vesperia is awesome and Star Ocean 4 is......not so awesome. Just take a look at this video

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=08dxBn4ZaCU

After looking at that video, I might just TOV before Star Ocean IV.

Good to hear.

it's done right. yes.

if they end in cliche desperate house sex like WRPG then no.

Around the Network
g-value said:
TX109 said:
isnt there always?

No. There are many JRPGS that don't have love stories like Tales of Vesperia, Final Fantasy 12, Dark Cloud 1 and Persona 3. There are more but i can't think of any others at the moment.

suikoden 1,2,3,4,5

fian fantasy 12

final fantasy vi

chrono trigger

tales of phantasia,destiny,etc.

lost odyssey.

S.T.A.G.E. said:
outlawauron said:
S.T.A.G.E. said:

Regardless of you liking Sci-Fi, Star Ocean is still a bad game.

@ johnnytesta

So wrong. Love was a huge theme in Lost Odyssey.

"We'll toss the dice however they fall,
And snuggle the girls be they short or tall,
Then follow young Mat whenever he calls,
To dance with Jak o' the Shadows."

Check out MyAnimeList and my Game Collection. Owner of the 5 millionth post.

outlawauron said:
S.T.A.G.E. said:
outlawauron said:
S.T.A.G.E. said:

Regardless of you liking Sci-Fi, Star Ocean is still a bad game.

@ johnnytesta

So wrong. Love was a huge theme in Lost Odyssey .

no it wasnt. self discovery, family and finding your place in the world were LO main themes. at least for me.

Wouldn't Family embody love? I mean Kaim finding Sarah was entirely driven by love.

"We'll toss the dice however they fall,
And snuggle the girls be they short or tall,
Then follow young Mat whenever he calls,
To dance with Jak o' the Shadows."

Check out MyAnimeList and my Game Collection. Owner of the 5 millionth post.

g-value said:

Should there be love stories in JRPGs? Do you feel it is needed for good character development? Do you feel love stories helps the overall stories in a JRPG?

I'm all for more emotion in video games in general. So I say... "Have at it developers!"

How our favorite systems are just like humans and sometimes have issues finding their special someone...

Xbox 360 wants to KinectPS3 wants to Move!  Why are both systems having such relationship problems?  The reason is they both become so infactuated with desire while watching the Wii as it waggles on by. They simply want what they can't have.

Official member of the Xbox 360 Squad