By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Gaming Discussion - Should there be love stories in JRPGs?

S.T.A.G.E. said:
g-value said:
S.T.A.G.E. said:
g-value said:
S.T.A.G.E. said:
g-value said:
S.T.A.G.E. said:
g-value said:
S.T.A.G.E. said:
JRPG's are mostly prince and princess stories or at least something close to that, so they are a big part of JRPG's (Or story-telling games). I have no problem with them, especially in the RPG's I've played. I loved it in FFX and FFVII.

You REALLY need to play more JRPGs.

If I do will I get to choose who to love? Or will the story decide it for me?

Why does it matter? Its just a game.

I know its a game. I just want to play an RPG.

But we are talking about RPGs right now. JRPGs to be exact.

We're not talking about RPG's; however, we're talking about JRPG's. To continue, most of the JRPG's I've played had love stories. Love stories are a major part of JRPG's...and I'd never take that away from them. As I said, a lot of RPG's have prince and princess stories that you watch as the game goes on.

My good man have you played Tales of Vesperia before?

No....I will play Star Ocean IV though.

My god Why? Anyway OP Yes Love stories should be included and concluded in JRPGs. FFX had an awesome love story FFVIII felt a little stiff to me and a little rushed. Maybe because Squall was a dick. And I'll be finishing Xenogears soon so ill comment on that Love story pretty soon

Black Women Are The Most Beautiful Women On The Planet.

"In video game terms, RPGs are games that involve a form of separate battles taking place with a specialized battle system and the use of a system that increases your power through a form of points.

Sure, what you say is the definition, but the connotation of RPGs is what they are in video games." - dtewi

Around the Network
outlawauron said:
S.T.A.G.E. said:
g-value said:
S.T.A.G.E. said:
g-value said:
S.T.A.G.E. said:
g-value said:
S.T.A.G.E. said:
g-value said:
S.T.A.G.E. said:
JRPG's are mostly prince and princess stories or at least something close to that, so they are a big part of JRPG's (Or story-telling games). I have no problem with them, especially in the RPG's I've played. I loved it in FFX and FFVII.

We're not talking about RPG's; however, we're talking about JRPG's. To continue, most of the JRPG's I've played had love stories. Love stories are a major part of JRPG's...and I'd never take that away from them. As I said, a lot of RPG's have prince and princess stories that you watch as the game goes on.

No wonder you hate JRPGs. You want to play the bad ones, but ignore the good ones.

And yes, I could never see myself as him. Not in a million years, but he certainly was an interesting character.

Since when have I said that I hate JRPG's? All I've said is that they should be assigned to a new genre...and this gen, their genre hasn't been that impressive.

ShadowSoldier said:
S.T.A.G.E. said:
g-value said:
S.T.A.G.E. said:
g-value said:
S.T.A.G.E. said:
g-value said:
S.T.A.G.E. said:
g-value said:
S.T.A.G.E. said:

My god Why? Anyway OP Yes Love stories should be included and concluded in JRPGs. FFX had an awesome love story FFVIII felt a little stiff to me and a little rushed. Maybe because Squall was a dick. And I'll be finishing Xenogears soon so ill comment on that Love story pretty soon

You should know by how much you have played Xenogears amazing its love story is.

Torillian said:
S.T.A.G.E. said:
outlawauron said:
g-value said:
S.T.A.G.E. said:
g-value said:
S.T.A.G.E. said:

STAGE has the complex that if he isn't duped into believing that all of his decisions matter, it's not a RPG.

The only RPG he wants to play is where he plays himself, not another character.

In RPG's you don't play as yourself. You play as another character...but of course, you can name the character after yourself. The control of the character is in your hands..not the storys. You mold the story by your actions. Keep fooling yourself on the definition.

Stage, your discussion about whether or not JRPGs count as RPGs does not need to permeate every thread that mentions JRPGs.  You have your own thread for it, for christ's sake don't bring it into every thread you see.

This thread is opened to all opinions.

S.T.A.G.E. said:

Since when have I said that I hate JRPG's? All I've said is that they should be assigned to a new genre...and this gen, their genre hasn't been that impressive.

And Star Ocean 4 will only solidify that opinion. It isn't a good game.

"We'll toss the dice however they fall,
And snuggle the girls be they short or tall,
Then follow young Mat whenever he calls,
To dance with Jak o' the Shadows."

Check out MyAnimeList and my Game Collection. Owner of the 5 millionth post.

Around the Network

If gaming is ever going to become an art rather than a past time it needs to be able to tell all kinds of stories.

outlawauron said:
S.T.A.G.E. said:

Star Ocean is the only JRPG that is Sci-Fi. I love Sci-Fi. Why should I worry about Tales of Vesperia, when Dragon Age will give me my Wizard, Warrior, RPG fix? Alpha Protocol will give me my modern RPG fix and Borderlands will give me my future wasteland fix, much like Fallout 3. FFXIII and Star Ocean IV are the only Sci-Fi JRPG's that I see this gen...so those are the only ones on my mind.

S.T.A.G.E. said:
outlawauron said:
S.T.A.G.E. said:

Star Ocean is the only JRPG that is Sci-Fi. I love Sci-Fi. Why should I worry about Tales of Vesperia, when Dragon Age will give me my Wizard, Warrior, RPG fix? Alpha Protocol will give me my modern RPG fix and Borderlands will give me my future wasteland fix, much like Fallout 3. FFXIII and Star Ocean IV are the only Sci-Fi JRPG's that I see this gen...so those are the only ones on my mind.

Because Tales of Vesperia is awesome and Star Ocean 4 is......not so awesome. Just take a look at this video

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=08dxBn4ZaCU

I won't play a jrpg without some kind of love story.They are a must.

Official member of the Xbox 360 Squad

In the ones that make sense to have them.

The best Love story in an RPG ever is in Bahamut Lagoon.'

Which was never localized over here. So that sucks really.

Some RPGs really do great like FF3 did... others... follow the basic formula for an RPG... and eh.

Still. It's good.

The only thing I hate... is the "Oh no, the love interest has been kidnapped because.... well just saving the damn world isn't enough! Now you gotta save your love interest too! Ignoring the fact that if the world was destoryed... she would be."

Or something else similar and cliche.