By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Gaming Discussion - Should there be love stories in JRPGs?

outlawauron said:
Wouldn't Family embody love? I mean Kaim finding Sarah was entirely driven by love.
yes,bu t i think we are talking about:young boy meets woman, they fall in love,they want to have lots of babys.that kind of love story.more cliche. lost odyssey was more mature .

Around the Network
g-value said:
S.T.A.G.E. said:
g-value said:
S.T.A.G.E. said:
outlawauron said:
S.T.A.G.E. said:

Since when have I said that I hate JRPG's? All I've said is that they should be assigned to a new genre...and this gen, their genre hasn't been that impressive.

And Star Ocean 4 will only solidify that opinion. It isn't a good game.

Star Ocean is the only JRPG that is Sci-Fi. I love Sci-Fi. Why should I worry about Tales of Vesperia, when Dragon Age will give me my Wizard, Warrior, RPG fix? Alpha Protocol will give me my modern RPG fix and Borderlands will give me my future wasteland fix, much like Fallout 3. FFXIII and Star Ocean IV are the only Sci-Fi JRPG's that I see this gen...so those are the only ones on my mind.

Because Tales of Vesperia is awesome and Star Ocean 4 is......not so awesome. Just take a look at this video

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=08dxBn4ZaCU

After looking at that video, I might just TOV before Star Ocean IV.

Good to hear.

You can bet on it, but I wont be playing that game until I finish going through RPG's.

''yes,but i think we are talking about:young boy meets woman, they fall in love,they want to have lots of babys.that kind of love story.more cliche. lost odyssey was more mature ''

wHAT about young drunk meets a Queen, they fall in love, they get married....

I like love stories as long as they are good one, like FFX. Well, it maybe wasnt epic in that way but still good.

Magna Carta II looks like it can delivered some epic love story. Perhaps... :O

Yea. I like love stories as long as they don't get sucky.

... Lunar Eternal Blue has an epic one.

"And yet, I've realized that maybe living a "decent" life means you won't ever have a "good" life."

I don't like love stories when one or both of the characters are emo.

Like in Final Fantasy games.

After VI.

TRUE LOVE CONQUERS ALL ROCK ON MISTY

Around the Network

Depends. If its tastefully done, like in Final Fantasy X, or at least well done like in TotA, then yes. If its really kind of awkward the whole way through and you can see it coming miles away like in Star Ocean, then no.

GOTY Contestants this year: Dead Space 2, Dark Souls, Tales of Graces f. Everything else can suck it.

S.T.A.G.E. said:
g-value said:
S.T.A.G.E. said:
g-value said:
S.T.A.G.E. said:
JRPG's are mostly prince and princess stories or at least something close to that, so they are a big part of JRPG's (Or story-telling games). I have no problem with them, especially in the RPG's I've played. I loved it in FFX and FFVII.

You REALLY need to play more JRPGs.

If I do will I get to choose who to love? Or will the story decide it for me?

Why does it matter? Its just a game.

I know its a game. I just want to play an RPG.

Once again I have to tell you this, Persona! In Persona 3 you can date at least five diffrent girls, and in Persona 4 I think it's up to eight... You won't find the actual Japenese "ROAL PLAINING GEAM!!1" if you keep ignoring the ones where you actually do play a role.

Christhor said:
S.T.A.G.E. said:
g-value said:
S.T.A.G.E. said:
g-value said:
S.T.A.G.E. said:
JRPG's are mostly prince and princess stories or at least something close to that, so they are a big part of JRPG's (Or story-telling games). I have no problem with them, especially in the RPG's I've played. I loved it in FFX and FFVII.

Once again I have to tell you this, Persona! In Persona 3 you can date at least five diffrent girls, and in Persona 4 I think it's up to eight... You won't find the actual Japenese "ROAL PLAINING GEAM!!1" if you keep ignoring the ones where you actually do play a role.

You're actually playing a role in that game? What a rarity. Nice find! :)

S.T.A.G.E. said:
Christhor said:
S.T.A.G.E. said:
g-value said:
S.T.A.G.E. said:
g-value said:
S.T.A.G.E. said:

You're actually playing a role in that game? What a rarity. Nice find! :)

Yay, you saw my post =D

You should try Persona 3 or 4, dood.

As long as the idea is executed very well then it's all good.