By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Gaming Discussion - Should there be love stories in JRPGs?

The love triangle issue is the main reason why I'm still stuck on FFVII. So yeah, love stories are a must for me.

Currently playing: Marvel vs. Capcom 3, League of Legends

Around the Network
S.T.A.G.E. said:
outlawauron said:
g-value said:
S.T.A.G.E. said:
g-value said:
S.T.A.G.E. said:
JRPG's are mostly prince and princess stories or at least something close to that, so they are a big part of JRPG's (Or story-telling games). I have no problem with them, especially in the RPG's I've played. I loved it in FFX and FFVII.

You REALLY need to play more JRPGs.

If I do will I get to choose who to love? Or will the story decide it for me?

Why does it matter? Its just a game.

STAGE has the complex that if he isn't duped into believing that all of his decisions matter, it's not a RPG.

The only RPG he wants to play is where he plays himself, not another character.

In RPG's you don't play as yourself. You play as another character...but of course, you can name the character after yourself. The control of the character is in your hands..not the storys. You mold the story by your actions. Keep fooling yourself on the definition.

I think it's silly to want to put yourself in all these situations. I was more than happy playing as Zidane Tribal as I stopped Garland from poisoning the world.

"We'll toss the dice however they fall,
And snuggle the girls be they short or tall,
Then follow young Mat whenever he calls,
To dance with Jak o' the Shadows."

Check out MyAnimeList and my Game Collection. Owner of the 5 millionth post.

S.T.A.G.E. said:
outlawauron said:
g-value said:
S.T.A.G.E. said:
g-value said:
S.T.A.G.E. said:
JRPG's are mostly prince and princess stories or at least something close to that, so they are a big part of JRPG's (Or story-telling games). I have no problem with them, especially in the RPG's I've played. I loved it in FFX and FFVII.

STAGE has the complex that if he isn't duped into believing that all of his decisions matter, it's not a RPG.

In RPG's you don't play as yourself. You play as another character...but of course, you can name the character after yourself. The control of the character is in your hands..not the storys. You mold the story by your actions. Keep fooling yourself on the definition.

Stage, your discussion about whether or not JRPGs count as RPGs does not need to permeate every thread that mentions JRPGs.  You have your own thread for it, for christ's sake don't bring it into every thread you see.

All of the great final fantasies had a love story wrapped into it. They are definitely a well liked part of the jrpg genre

g-value said:
S.T.A.G.E. said:
g-value said:
S.T.A.G.E. said:
g-value said:
S.T.A.G.E. said:

I know its a game. I just want to play an RPG.

But we are talking about RPGs right now. JRPGs to be exact.

We're not talking about RPG's; however, we're talking about JRPG's. To continue, most of the JRPG's I've played had love stories. Love stories are a major part of JRPG's...and I'd never take that away from them. As I said, a lot of RPG's have prince and princess stories that you watch as the game goes on.

Around the Network
S.T.A.G.E. said:
g-value said:
S.T.A.G.E. said:
g-value said:
S.T.A.G.E. said:
g-value said:
S.T.A.G.E. said:

We're not talking about RPG's; however, we're talking about JRPG's. To continue, most of the JRPG's I've played had love stories. Love stories are a major part of JRPG's...and I'd never take that away from them. As I said, a lot of RPG's have prince and princess stories that you watch as the game goes on.

My good man have you played Tales of Vesperia before?

outlawauron said:
S.T.A.G.E. said:
outlawauron said:
g-value said:
S.T.A.G.E. said:
g-value said:
S.T.A.G.E. said:

I think it's silly to want to put yourself in all these situations. I was more than happy playing as Zidane Tribal as I stopped Garland from poisoning the world.

Wow...you played along withh Zidanes story...of course you did. WOW! Good job man! :)

g-value said:
S.T.A.G.E. said:
g-value said:
S.T.A.G.E. said:
g-value said:
S.T.A.G.E. said:
g-value said:
S.T.A.G.E. said:

No....I will play Star Ocean IV though.

S.T.A.G.E. said:
g-value said:
S.T.A.G.E. said:
g-value said:
S.T.A.G.E. said:
g-value said:
S.T.A.G.E. said:
g-value said:
S.T.A.G.E. said:

No wonder you hate JRPGs. You want to play the bad ones, but ignore the good ones.

And yes, I could never see myself as him. Not in a million years, but he certainly was an interesting character.

"We'll toss the dice however they fall,
And snuggle the girls be they short or tall,
Then follow young Mat whenever he calls,
To dance with Jak o' the Shadows."

Check out MyAnimeList and my Game Collection. Owner of the 5 millionth post.

S.T.A.G.E. said:
g-value said:
S.T.A.G.E. said:
g-value said:
S.T.A.G.E. said:
g-value said:
S.T.A.G.E. said:
g-value said:
S.T.A.G.E. said:

You should forget about SO4 and play Tales of Vesperia. Its an awesome JRPG and IMO the best RPG this gen (and yes i have played and loved Mass Effect).