By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Gaming Discussion - Should there be love stories in JRPGs?

g-value said:
forest-spirit said:
It depends on how well it fits into the story. Done bad it'll just feel forced, but done right it can be real good. Xenogears is a good example.

Xenogears is the best example.

You really love Xenogears don't you? I don't blame you it really is great game.

Those are the golden days of Square IMO. Miss the old square.

Around the Network

how do you guys feel about the love story in ff10? did you guys thought it was well done cause i personally did (i know the voice acting wasn't so....swell)

Shadowblind said:

Depends. If its tastefully done, like in Final Fantasy X, or at least well done like in TotA, then yes. If its really kind of awkward the whole way through and you can see it coming miles away like in Star Ocean, then no.

Tales of the Abyss' love story was kinda awkward if you ask me. At least the ending made up for it.

DeotoxSlayer said:

Is Xenogears really that good? I had a copy before but my sister broke it before i could play it.

Is it worth buying again? I mean i'd wager that its worth quite a bit and/or is rare.

@OP

Love stories aren't really necessary for a good story in a JRPG however I generally prefer JRPGS with good love stories in them when compared to JRPGS with no love story, so I think theredefenetly should be love stories in JRPGs.

anyone >__>

g-value said:
Shadowblind said:

Depends. If its tastefully done, like in Final Fantasy X, or at least well done like in TotA, then yes. If its really kind of awkward the whole way through and you can see it coming miles away like in Star Ocean, then no.

Tales of the Abyss' love story was kinda awkward if you ask me. At least the ending made up for it.

Speaking of Tales of The Abyss who the hell was that in the end? I'd like to think that Luke's soul/spirt took over Asch's body.....We Need a Tales of The Abyss 2

Black Women Are The Most Beautiful Women On The Planet.

"In video game terms, RPGs are games that involve a form of separate battles taking place with a specialized battle system and the use of a system that increases your power through a form of points.

Sure, what you say is the definition, but the connotation of RPGs is what they are in video games." - dtewi

Around the Network
SmokedHostage said:
If it's done carefully and appropriately, then yes.

QFT. I enjoy a good love story, but there are alot that are not very good.

DeotoxSlayer said:
DeotoxSlayer said:

Is Xenogears really that good? I had a copy before but my sister broke it before i could play it.

Is it worth buying again? I mean i'd wager that its worth quite a bit and/or is rare.

@OP

Love stories aren't really necessary for a good story in a JRPG however I generally prefer JRPGS with good love stories in them when compared to JRPGS with no love story, so I think theredefenetly should be love stories in JRPGs.

anyone >__>

Xenogears is BEYOND good. Its the greatest rpg of all time. You should get it again.

g-value said:
DeotoxSlayer said:
DeotoxSlayer said:

@OP

anyone >__>

Xenogears is BEYOND good. Its the greatest rpg of all time. You should get it again.

I've been thinking about getting it again, Why is it so good though?

DeotoxSlayer said:
g-value said:
DeotoxSlayer said:
DeotoxSlayer said:

@OP

anyone >__>

I've been thinking about getting it again, Why is it so good though?

It has the best storyline in ANY videogame, deep and lovable characters, the best music i've heard in a jrpg and after all these years it still has a combat system that is one of a kind. Truly the best game ever made.