By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Sony Discussion - GTA Chinatown Wars announced for PSP - enhanced GFX and new missions

Awesome... love it.

Around the Network

This wasn't unexpected by my part.

tag:"reviews only matter for the real hardcore gamer"

Didn't Rockstar say that Chinatown Wars was more expensive to make than the other 2 handheld GTA games ?
If so that move was necessary.

Soriku said:
outlawauron said:
Soriku said:
outlawauron said:
Soriku said:
Kenology said:
So what happens if this sells less than the DS version?

I dunno if the PSP userbase would support a top-down, 2D GTA in droves...

They should've really made it 3D, not like the DS can't do good 3D.

It can't. Especially a game like GTA. Every 3D GTA looks terrible because there is so much going on.

@ mai

But the comparison, due to sheer size of the DS install base versus PSP, shouldn't exist. The DS should demolish all.

It sure as hell can.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yWr_V9qQeyY

Watch 1:45 and on and tell me that again.

And that 3D render of GTA looks plenty good.

These are HANDHELDS remember, not consoles.

A turn based RPG is nothing like GTA. The character models did look good, but the backgrounds were even blander than Final Fantasy IV's 3D.

And there is a reason why the PSP is more suited to a GTA, because it has the power to produce PS2-like graphics.

Who cares if an RPG isn't like GTA? Is that what we're talking about? No. We're talking about graphics and the DS can handle very good 3D graphics.

The backgrounds are only plain because they were designed that way to fit the battle. A GTA background would be different.

Turnbased RPG's have very small area to render and less objects so those can have much better graphics. Also animating etc is much simpler with turn based games. In GTA 3D graphics would much worse because you need view distance while driving and there would be much more objects to animate. You would have to drop details of objects by at least 70% compared to turnbased RPG and it may barely run on DS. Unless town is practically devoid of life.

Soriku said:
Barozi said:
Didn't Rockstar say that Chinatown Wars was more expensive to make than the other 2 handheld GTA games ?
If so that move was necessary.

IIRC they just said it had a bigger team. Don't know if that amounts to more expensive or not though.

Well, I would think that it's what really drives up costs. More people = more paychecks. Those things really mount up over time.

"We'll toss the dice however they fall,
And snuggle the girls be they short or tall,
Then follow young Mat whenever he calls,
To dance with Jak o' the Shadows."

Check out MyAnimeList and my Game Collection. Owner of the 5 millionth post.

Around the Network
outlawauron said:
MANUELF said:
outlawauron said:
Soriku said:
Kenology said:

It can't. Especially a game like GTA. Every 3D GTA looks terrible because there is so much going on.

@ mai

But the comparison, due to sheer size of the DS install base versus PSP, shouldn't exist. The DS should demolish all.

It can

Why would you want that? That looks absolutely horrible.

How it looks was not his point.  The fact that the DS is more than capable of handling a 3D GTA was.

Kenology said:
outlawauron said:
MANUELF said:
outlawauron said:
Soriku said:
Kenology said:

@ mai

It can

Why would you want that? That looks absolutely horrible.

How it looks was not his point.  The fact that the DS is more than capable of handling a 3D GTA was.

Oh I know it can produce 3D graphics on the DS, but I don't see why anyone would do it. That would be an insult to the franchise.

"We'll toss the dice however they fall,
And snuggle the girls be they short or tall,
Then follow young Mat whenever he calls,
To dance with Jak o' the Shadows."

Check out MyAnimeList and my Game Collection. Owner of the 5 millionth post.

The DS can do N64 graphics or more I believe, I mean after playing Mario 64 ds it looks much better than the N64 game.

PSP on the other hand can do more than PS2

mM

didn't care when it was exclusive for DS, still don't care now that its on psp. GTA FTL

Holy crap!