By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Sony Discussion - GTA Chinatown Wars announced for PSP - enhanced GFX and new missions

Soriku said:
outlawauron said:
Soriku said:
Kenology said:
So what happens if this sells less than the DS version?

I dunno if the PSP userbase would support a top-down, 2D GTA in droves...

They should've really made it 3D, not like the DS can't do good 3D.

It can't. Especially a game like GTA. Every 3D GTA looks terrible because there is so much going on.

@ mai

But the comparison, due to sheer size of the DS install base versus PSP, shouldn't exist. The DS should demolish all.

It sure as hell can.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yWr_V9qQeyY

Watch 1:45 and on and tell me that again.

And that 3D render of GTA looks plenty good.

These are HANDHELDS remember, not consoles.

A turn based RPG is nothing like GTA. The character models did look good, but the backgrounds were even blander than Final Fantasy IV's 3D.

And there is a reason why the PSP is more suited to a GTA, because it has the power to produce PS2-like graphics.

"We'll toss the dice however they fall,
And snuggle the girls be they short or tall,
Then follow young Mat whenever he calls,
To dance with Jak o' the Shadows."

Check out MyAnimeList and my Game Collection. Owner of the 5 millionth post.

Around the Network
outlawauron said:
Of course not, I'm not saying it should extrapolate exactly, but I would think the higher quality game on a much larger userbase would at least sell half of Liberty City Stories.

I guess smth like this was expected (I personally expect it in between LCS and VCS, and CW is hardly getting to the level of VCS sales... and even this in doubt). R* probably had similar expectations. Overall, GTA:CW is very likely profitable, but failed to meet expectations at least in short term, talking about long term... well, PSP sales will show, do GTA crowd even interested in this game?

mai said:
outlawauron said:
Of course not, I'm not saying it should extrapolate exactly, but I would think the higher quality game on a much larger userbase would at least sell half of Liberty City Stories.

I guess smth like this was expected (I personally expect it in between LCS and VCS, and CW is hardly getting to the level of VCS sales... and even this in doubt). R* probably had similar expectations. Overall, GTA:CW is very likely profitable, but fail to meet expectations at least in short term, talking about long term... well, PSP sales will show, do GTA-crowd even interested in this game?

Hmm, didn't they say that they had the largest workforce ever working on Chinatown Wars for two years?

I thought I read that somewhere, but I couldn't find a link after a quick google search.

About time...

Bah, I was talking in reference to GTA.

I'd rather a slick 2D with beautiful backgrounds like Suikoden than Final Fantasy IV's 3Dor even Sigma Harmonic's ugly environments.

Around the Network
stof said:
TheThunder said:
stof said:
Get it PSP owners. It's the most fun GTA game ever made.

Get it DS owners too!

well according to your game collection it's the only GTA you have.

OT: sony is really pushing the PSP this year they are not even kidding. Kaz Hirai must traveled and sat down with every developer on the face of the planet to get that much good of a Software lineup

Played the hell out of the PS2 ones at friends houses, and got a decent amount of GTA 4, which was as technically brilliant as it was lacking in pure enjoyment. Unless the PSP versions have more going for them than I thought, yes, the DS version is by far the most outright fun.

As for the notion that this is bad for the DS. This is great news, it makes the notion of future DS/PSP GTA games far more likely. Hey, our DS GTA games don't do nearly as well as our PSP ones, so lets make another PSP game. No wait, lets make another DS,PSP GTA game! 

I thought that the PS2 games (especially VC and SA) are one of the best games I've played. Too bad I don't have a DS or a PSP either.

Woo, though I would prefer a full 3D game, any GTA game is great news, especially when this is so highly rated

MANUELF said:
outlawauron said:
Soriku said:
Kenology said:
So what happens if this sells less than the DS version?

I dunno if the PSP userbase would support a top-down, 2D GTA in droves...

They should've really made it 3D, not like the DS can't do good 3D.

It can't. Especially a game like GTA. Every 3D GTA looks terrible because there is so much going on.

@ mai

But the comparison, due to sheer size of the DS install base versus PSP, shouldn't exist. The DS should demolish all.

It can

It can't :p

Check out my game about moles ^

outlawauron said:
Bah, I was talking in reference to GTA.

I'd rather a slick 2D with beautiful backgrounds like Suikoden than Final Fantasy IV's 3Dor even Sigma Harmonic's ugly environments.

Yeah, I couldn't stand FFIV DS it was that ugly. Chrono Trigger looks better, and it's a straight port.

GTA Chinatown wars only sold half a million on a platform with over 100 million consoles.

It only makes sense to go back to a platform where you know your game will sell.