By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Nintendo Discussion - Marvelous, crying over bad sales.

Soriku said:
@Zen

However, there will be massive core drivers on the Wii soon - MH3, Tales of Graces, Samurai Warriors 3, FFCC: TCB. And DQ X in the long run. These will all make a solid core base on the Wii in Japan. IMO they should've delayed ARF at least until MH3 came out so it gets on the core rush. It could've been a "pick up with the system" type game.

Did you notice how other well known JRPGs sold on the Wii? ToS: DotNW, a spinoff, outsold every 360 JRPG, but didn't outsell WKC. But DQS crushed everything else and is the best selling console JRPG in Japan so far, and #3 in third party game sales in Japan this gen. And it's an on rails spinoff. Being spinoffs, they are not major core drivers, unfortunately, but the Wii is getting main series of said titles, and other major titles. You can't sell B and C level games without A level games.

Take the PSP for example. Its HW/SW sales were garbage for a while, but some big hits came - MH, CC: FF7, and so on. And big hits continued to come, and even more are coming. These drived HW/SW a lot. Even some niche games started selling on it. It's the same situation with the Wii. Thankfully these games aren't too far off.

This.  Well said, Soriku.  Well said.

Around the Network
Soriku said:
@Zen

However, there will be massive core drivers on the Wii soon - MH3, Tales of Graces, Samurai Warriors 3, FFCC: TCB. And DQ X in the long run. These will all make a solid core base on the Wii in Japan. IMO they should've delayed ARF at least until MH3 came out so it gets on the core rush. It could've been a "pick up with the system" type game.

Did you notice how other well known JRPGs sold on the Wii? ToS: DotNW, a spinoff, outsold every 360 JRPG, but didn't outsell WKC. But DQS crushed everything else and is the best selling console JRPG in Japan so far, and #3 in third party game sales in Japan this gen. And it's an on rails spinoff. Being spinoffs, they are not major core drivers, unfortunately, but the Wii is getting main series of said titles, and other major titles. You can't sell B and C level games without A level games.

Take the PSP for example. Its HW/SW sales were garbage for a while, but some big hits came - MH, CC: FF7, and so on. And big hits continued to come, and even more are coming. These drived HW/SW a lot. Even some niche games started selling on it. It's the same situation with the Wii. Thankfully these games aren't too far off.

But really, all Crisis Core and PSP - 2000 was jump start hardware and MH got popular on PSP.

The other niche games that were already being released did not see a huge bump in sales.

We do have pleasant surprises though.

"We'll toss the dice however they fall,
And snuggle the girls be they short or tall,
Then follow young Mat whenever he calls,
To dance with Jak o' the Shadows."

Check out MyAnimeList and my Game Collection. Owner of the 5 millionth post.

nordlead said:
Chrizum said:
I agree, it makes me sad too to see those great games bomb one by one. Although I'm confused by No More Heroes being up there. Wasn't there a party to celebrate its succes? Isn't there a sequel coming?

Better promotion should help though.

This is marvelous talking, which only published the game in Japan where it only sold 40k. It sold a lot more in the west where it was published by Ubisoft/Rising Star

I remember reading about their launch party at some store and Suda51 was there to sign copies and no one showed up.

Snesboy said:
nordlead said:
Chrizum said:
I agree, it makes me sad too to see those great games bomb one by one. Although I'm confused by No More Heroes being up there. Wasn't there a party to celebrate its succes? Isn't there a sequel coming?

This is marvelous talking, which only published the game in Japan where it only sold 40k. It sold a lot more in the west where it was published by Ubisoft/Rising Star

I remember reading about their launch party at some store and Suda51 was there to sign copies and no one showed up.

Yep. I remeber that. He even had NMH toilet paper to give out.

"We'll toss the dice however they fall,
And snuggle the girls be they short or tall,
Then follow young Mat whenever he calls,
To dance with Jak o' the Shadows."

Check out MyAnimeList and my Game Collection. Owner of the 5 millionth post.

I really think this (situation of bad game sales) is the developer's fault entirely. I really cannot understand their logic anymore. They ignore some of the most basic principles in marketing and expect their games to sell well.

Let's make a parallel. Imagine Toyota manufacturing a new car that doesn't set the market on fire. Then, they start blaming you for not buying it, saying you don't have taste, you don't drive (!) at all, you are a 5 year old kid, you don't have money, etc. How can any company bad mouth its own clients? The people it pleads to for money???

Around the Network

All those folks saying that Suda 51, Platinum Games, and Marvelous are super happy with how their Wii games have sold so far, I think this press release from Marvelous is actually more accurate about the matter.

outlawauron said:
Snesboy said:
nordlead said:
Chrizum said:

This Marvellous guy can dry his eyes with NMH themed bog roll then. If lack of advertising budget is the cause here, what is Nintendo's excuse for the laughable sales of Takt of Magic?

PSN - hanafuda

As to whose fault this situation is, I think there's quite a bit of it to go around. First off its not on the makers of these games or on the games themselves as they are some of the best games on the system and much better than games that have many times their sales. Its partly on Nintendo for releasing a console that has used the blue ocean strategy to attract so many gamers to their system that really had no interest in gaming before with the Wii series games. And then, it is on many of these blue ocean gamers that only want things like Wii Sports, etc, and have put things like Wii Fit over 20 million in sales while a game like Mario Galaxy hasn't even broken 10 million.

And, lastly its on many gamers that claim to be core gamers on Wii yet spend so much time trying to build up the virtues of things like Wii Sports and Wii Fit. Apparently, the "core gamers" on Wii, if that's what they really are, aren't buying these games either.

Little Kings Story is wasted on the Wii. It would have been much better for them to release it on the PC on Steam and other download services. At least on the PC you know theres a market for that kind of game.

Tease.

Soriku said:
hanafuda said:
outlawauron said:
Snesboy said:
nordlead said:
Chrizum said:

This Marvellous guy can dry his eyes with NMH themed bog roll then. If lack of advertising budget is the cause here, what is Nintendo's excuse for the laughable sales of Takt of Magic?

Was that game even advertised? It didn't get much publicity. It just appeared for a while then released. No hype or anything.

TV and mags. I'll give you a hint - advertising is not the issue here. Now, why did Deca Sporta 2 fail?

PSN - hanafuda