By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Nintendo Discussion - Marvelous, crying over bad sales.

I could buy the company. ^_^

or I could buy a mess of their games.

Tit for tat, except I'd more than likely strip the current publishing firm of it's IP's and use it's talent for other purposes while I sell the Ip's to the highest bidder short of the well known IP's those would be an ante.

I've never tried a soft acquisition before. >.>

Anyway, I've heard Muramasa was Japanese with subs... that alone knocked it off my list.

Valhalla Knights Eldar Saga is still on my list though, and No More Heroes... I'd love to know how Xseed is doing.

I'm Unamerica and you can too.

The Official Huge Monster Hunter Thread: 

The Hunt Begins 4/20/2010 =D

Around the Network

Maybe they should consider sticking to just the DS and PSP. The money they save in game development could be put towards advertising.

Rune Factory Frontier, Oboromuramasa (Muramasa: The Demon Blade), Harvest Moon: Waku Waku Animal March (Harvest Moon: Animal Parade), and Arc Rise Fantasia! NOW RELEASE THEM HERE. (I know rune factory frontier is released).... Will that make you stop whining Marvelous!

If people buy them... but they will all get very limited sales.

alfredofroylan said:

Really, really Sad. mavelous is one of the few companies that try quality content and original things on the Wii.

In an unusually honest staff post [English translation/mention here] published on Marvelous Entertainment's Japanese blog for Little King's Story, the Tokyo-based publisher says it feels like crying over low game sales.

The post specifically points to sales for Wii titles such as No More Heroes, Rune Factory Frontier, Oboromuramasa (Muramasa: The Demon Blade), Harvest Moon: Waku Waku Animal March (Harvest Moon: Animal Parade), and Arc Rise Fantasia, the last three of which aren't releasing stateside until later this year.

According to Marvelous, the studio tried its best to foster those games despite time constraints and limited budgets, but all of them shipped very disappointing numbers. The author (who I'm presuming is managing director and Harvest Moon creator Yasuhiro Wada) admits, "I truly have teary eyes. I feel like crying."

The post goes on to say that the company's games that sell are really selling well despite the current market, remarking that the low numbers for those underperforming releases could be due to Marvelous' own failings in promoting them.

The publisher then pleads with Japanese gamers who are interested in purchasing Little King’s Story to put in preorders for the real-time strategy Wii title, as retailers will not take their game for display in their shops if the amount of preorders remains low. The title already released under joint venture Rising Star Games in Europe last April, where it has received high marks from most reviewers, and will ship under Xseed and Marvelous Entertainment USA in North America on July 21st.

http://www.gamesetwatch.com/2009/06/marvelous_tearyeyed_over_poor.php#more

Hrm looking at the list the only game I can even think that they're talking about is Rune factory or just their Japanese sales in general, because going by their list, not many of those have made their way to the states yet and two of their games that I'm assuming they're talking when their games sell they sell well being No More Heroes and Harvest Moon, they both got a good portion of their sales in the states.

http://vgchartz.com/games/index.php?&results=50&name=&console=Wii&keyword=&publisher=206&genre=&order=Sales&boxart=Both&showdeleted=&region=All&alphasort=

I think it might be time for Marvelous to focus more on their western fanbase a bit more, as I've seen stated on here already marketing will help out a lot, I know they do a good job marketing in Japan, but it's obvious Japan isn't digging their games, Suda 51 was at No More Heroes release with No More Heroes toilet paper and the launch was dead he was sitting there alone, if he did that here I could see a good turnout since Suda has many American fans and american game fans have a lot of time and money to waste on going to a launch with a game developer being there :P

MaxwellGT2000 - "Does the amount of times you beat it count towards how hardcore you are?"

Wii Friend Code - 5882 9717 7391 0918 (PM me if you add me), PSN - MaxwellGT2000, XBL - BlkKniteCecil, MaxwellGT2000

Around the Network

NMH, Little King's Story and arguably Muramasa are amongst the best third party efforts on Wii... too bad they aren't selling well in japan (or Europe in the case of LKS).

If it weren't for money problems I would've bought LKS first day...I want it badly.

I know one of the issues with Rune Factory vs Havest Moon is that people don't realize Rune Factory basically is the new Harvest Moon, a customer came in the other day, picked up Harvest Moon, I asked them if they ever heard of Rune Factory, they said no, and I told them it's made by the same guys that did Harvest Moon and that it's essentially the same farming sim with more added to it and they were amazed, BUT still bought Harvest Moon and said they'll pick up Rune Factory later.

MaxwellGT2000 - "Does the amount of times you beat it count towards how hardcore you are?"

Wii Friend Code - 5882 9717 7391 0918 (PM me if you add me), PSN - MaxwellGT2000, XBL - BlkKniteCecil, MaxwellGT2000

Aiemond said:
mjc2021 said:
bardicverse said:
Seriously, promote the game better. Put demos in people's hands, create street teams handing otu demos at public events, and stop crying.

You're assuming people just don't know about them. I think the hardest thing to do is make a typical Wii owner care about their games.

except that tons of games sell on the wii very well? Of course people do not know about them, there is no promotion. How are they supposed to know. And the bias and bullshit in your small post is astounding. Typical wii owner? Wait, this attitude....

are you a dev?

Unfortunately, I agree with him. Despite the huge casual audience of the Wii, I don't think the core audience which owns and consistantly plays the console is quite as big as the Gamecube ended up being, just yet. The Wii nut is a tough one to crack, and in modern times, the game buyer is a fickle mistress.

To be completely honest, this is all the markets fault. Most people don't research their purchases, which I despise. Buying things ignorantly is not what I consider a smart move, and when people who would like to purchase good games, don't know about them, it is their fault, period. Ignorance is never an excuse for anything, in the Internet age.

That said, other companies are well aware of our mass ignorance when it comes to their product, so they have developed divisions in order to sell us their products. However, even companies who produce shovelware, now have expensive marketing campaigns, so smaller companies that make good games, have a hard time breaking the ice on any console. The Wii, in particular, is harshly judged because of its presumed large core userbase, which doesn't necessarily rival the core userbase for the PS3 or the Xbox 360.

Why do good games sell poorly on the Wii? They probably don't appeal to the average core gamer. JRPGs are already niche, afterall. They also don't have the funds to market properly. The Wii core userbase isn't as large as it appears. Also, there is a lot of competition on the Wii for unadvertised games, in the form of shovelware. This is because of consumer ignorance.

Now, people who buy shovelware can often be core gamers. They just aren't very knowledgable ones. You ever buy a game at the store when you were a kid, on the fly? Those kids are core gamers too. They just don't know what games are good.

I don't need your console war.
It feeds the rich while it buries the poor.
You're power hungry, spinnin' stories, and bein' graphics whores.
I don't need your console war.

NO NO, NO NO NO.

Too small a company to promote their games and new IP. Im sorry but they wouldnt find great sales on any system right now.