By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Nintendo Discussion - Marvelous, crying over bad sales.

Xen said:
Incandescence said:
Low sales are inevitable in Japan. The closed minded little munchkins don't buy anything nowadays except for the same recycled garbage over and over again.

That's Europe you're talking about. Casual, casual, football, GTA, FPS, casual, casual, football, GTA, FPS, rinse, repeat.

^That's spot on...Europe s***s, for me that is

Around the Network
forest-spirit said:
Yes, this is really sad, but unless a product is promoted and shown to the public it won't sell well. People rarely buy something they don't know exist...
I think they may have some problems with the Wii demographics, many of the Wii owners aren't regular gamers (they are the casualz) so they need to find better ways to get this massive group interested. Muramasa ads in women magazines, art magazines? Or better, make an anime OVA for every game, that'll work in Japan, I'm sure.

The huge group of Wii owners is there, just get their attention...

Muramasa and Arc Rise both got TV ads.

"We'll toss the dice however they fall,
And snuggle the girls be they short or tall,
Then follow young Mat whenever he calls,
To dance with Jak o' the Shadows."

Check out MyAnimeList and my Game Collection. Owner of the 5 millionth post.

So sad... some of their games reperesent the best 3rd party Wii support :( Lets hope that their new titles sales will pick up :D

Vote the Mayor for Mayor!

outlawauron said:
Incandescence said:
Low sales are inevitable in Japan. The closed minded little munchkins don't buy anything nowadays except for the same recycled garbage over and over again.

The problem is that Japanese gamers tend to avoid new IPs.  They are very tradional about their game mechanics.  That is why Dragon Quest is so popular there.  I do have to question some of the tastes of Japanese gamers.  For example, Dynasty Warriors-those games are just button mashers with laughable English voice acting.

Riachu said:
outlawauron said:
Incandescence said:

The problem is that Japanese gamers tend to avoid new IPs.  They are very tradional about their game mechanics.  That is why Dragon Quest is so popular there.  I do have to question some of the tastes of Japanese gamers.  For example, Dynasty Warriors-those games are just button mashers with laughable English voice acting.

Yeah a lot of Japanese DW fans will hate the English voice acting when they play it in Japanese =p.

Dynasty Warriors is a game about a popular story (the romance of the three kingdoms) ofcourse it sells.

Like all the cartoon games selling well here.

Around the Network
forest-spirit said:
Xen said:
Incandescence said:

That's Europe you're talking about. Casual, casual, football, GTA, FPS, casual, casual, football, GTA, FPS, rinse, repeat.

^That's spot on...Europe s***s, for me that is

It used to suck for me too. There's a lot of games Europe missed out on thanks to shitty buying habits.. but then... I got me an NTSC PS2. Problem fixed!

outlawauron said:
forest-spirit said:
Yes, this is really sad, but unless a product is promoted and shown to the public it won't sell well. People rarely buy something they don't know exist...
I think they may have some problems with the Wii demographics, many of the Wii owners aren't regular gamers (they are the casualz) so they need to find better ways to get this massive group interested. Muramasa ads in women magazines, art magazines? Or better, make an anime OVA for every game, that'll work in Japan, I'm sure.

The huge group of Wii owners is there, just get their attention...

Muramasa and Arc Rise both got TV ads.

Doesn't people just hate TV ads these days?

No, they need to find that secret, the holy Graal of advertising...or just sell all their games at really low prices and hope for the best? But then they have to sell loads...but it seemed to work for Valkyria Chronicles...but that's Sega...and PS3...and it had Vyse...heeeh, I'm confused, maybe they have bad luck....

How about subliminal messages, is that legal?

Veder Juda said:
Xen said:
Incandescence said:

Europe? Are you sure you're not talking about America? Or are we more FPS, FPS, NFL Football, GTA, casual, FPS, FPS, NFL Football, GTA, casual, rinse, repeat?

America is also buying their JRPG's and WRPG's, along with some platforming goodness... not to mention that America is big on action/adventures.

American tastes are very varied, which is pleasing.

mjc2021 said:
bardicverse said:
Seriously, promote the game better. Put demos in people's hands, create street teams handing otu demos at public events, and stop crying.

You're assuming people just don't know about them. I think the hardest thing to do is make a typical Wii owner care about their games.

I don't think its a matter of assuming, as much as the publisher here not understanding the marketing channels for Wii owners. We can agree they are more of a casual userbase, and aren't going to be visiting gamespot or vgchartz or ign. If the game demo was in People magazine, people would try it. This is what I mean. Put it in their face, in their hands, let them experience it to decide if its something they like.

theRepublic said:
I'll be buying No More Heroes, Rune Factory Frontier, and Little King's Story at some point, but I live in the States and not Japan, so I guess it doesn't matter for Marvelous.

It'll still be better than crying about it.

I personally think this thread is a complete waste of time and energy; if I want to promote Marvelous's games, I'd rather do so in different ways rather than bellyaching about their lack of attention in the Japanese market.

The real answer to the whole Wii core market problem will come on August 1st with the release of Monster Hunter 3.  This game, along with Crystal Bearers, Tales of Graces, all will be big to ensure that there is a future for core titles on the Wii in Japan.  After all, it is stated that niche RPGs sell better when a major one is released first, right?

So all is not lost.  Don't waste anymore time crying for them; do something productive!

-Jon T.