By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Sony Discussion - My ps3 has broken...AGAIN!!!

Squilliam said:
@ Reasonable, perhaps its the wiring in your house? If you blew a fuse 3 times...

@ Pristine, I feel like an arse saying this, but why not spend the money and check out an Xbox 360? You can wait for the new $300 PS3 and try some games you missed at the same time.

Yah - I got in an electrician and so far the 4th console's a dream (I'm still going to back it up mind you!).

Try to be reasonable... its easier than you think...

Around the Network
Pristine20 said:
Reasonable said:
bobobologna said:
Squilliam said:
bobobologna said:
Squilliam said:
;_; do you have a friend with a PS3 you could use your HDD in? ;_;

Unfortunately you can't do that.  PS3 HDDs are encrypted and tied to the PS3's ID.  So if you put it in a different PS3, it won't read the HDD, and will ask you to reformat.

Bad Sony!

Yea, as much as I like my PS3, I have to admit that there are some things that Microsoft and the XBox360 handle better.  I hate the huge markup Microsoft charges for their HDDs, but I do admire that the HDD isn't tied to a single XBox360.

I hate that too - but to be fair the PS3 remains unhacked and I suspect this is just one of a number of tighter elements on the PS3 that has prevented that.

OP - Having had a few PS3's fail (I think I know why now) I've taken to a Sunday night backup of save games, etc. that way at worst I lose a week of play.

So far as I can see Trophy info is fine so long as you're syncing - it's just your local saves and data you need to backup.

One other annoyance (but again I'm guessing its anti-piracy) is that while the full backup saves your PSN titles, if you get a replacement PS3 it will refuse to restore them as the ID is different (it will restore saves, etc. and everything else).  So once you're up and running again expect to fire of a bunch of PSN downloads for those titles (assuming you have PSN titles).

All in all the Trophy sync and backup utility does protect most of the data you really care about - but at the same time the PS3 is a bit of a pain when it dies and get's replaced, mainly down to barriers that I suspect are to prevent piracy or similar activity.

Personally I think Sony should look at Steam, relax  little and put more focus in tieing content to a PSN ID (perhaps making a PSN ID mandatory) and not tieing it to the individual PS3 so much.

For those curious about the mystery of how I managed to burn out 3 PS3s, I've finally pinpointed that while I was travelling for business, our house suffered the fuse box blowing, which my wife always replaced in my absence, and in each case the PS3 was active with my kids playing it.  After the power was restored the PS3 was loud then failed the next day.  I can only conclude that PS3's do not like abrupt power interuptions like that in the middle of extended playing sessions.

3 failed ps3s? damn man...I thought I was unique. In my case though, I have no explanation...the thing just quit

It's a real pain isn't it - still, I figured it would be nice to know you're not alone (or even the most extreme case).

Part of the issue with the YLOD, so far as I can gather, is there is very little to no warning.  The thing just won't start and that's it - you're screwed with an HDD full of encrypted content that Sony is just waiting to wipe clean for you leaving you to painfully restore everything yourself.

Try to be reasonable... its easier than you think...

Reasonable said:
Squilliam said:
@ Reasonable, perhaps its the wiring in your house? If you blew a fuse 3 times...

@ Pristine, I feel like an arse saying this, but why not spend the money and check out an Xbox 360? You can wait for the new $300 PS3 and try some games you missed at the same time.

Yah - I got in an electrician and so far the 4th console's a dream (I'm still going to back it up mind you!).

Thats a reasonable move and a reasonable precaution.

Tease.

Squilliam said:
S.T.A.G.E. said:
Squilliam said:

He can buy a 360 later. This was about fixing his PS3 my friend, and at PlayNTrade it will only cost about 80 bucks. $25 fee for diagnostics and a 55 for the fix.

Well I didn't know about that deal. I was assuming $150 vs $200 so the cost seemed pretty similar and the thread had almost run its course.

Yeah, thats what I paid when my 360 red ringed. It was fixed in a flash.

Why don't you just get a completely new PS3? I think it'll just keep breaking on you..  You could spend another 200 dollars, or so... on top of what you already spent... but, by the time you get it fixed a third time, you could have had a new one... Just reformat the HDD and copy only the game saves, and movies you don't feel like re-downloading from PSN... And.. pictures, things like that...  You may have 120 GB of stuff you don't need, but, I bet if you had to, you could shrink it down to.... 30?...

How much of the GB is used up on game installation?  MGS4 takes 6 GB... Probably why it only goes by act.  But... just keep what you absolutly need.

Around the Network
Username2324 said:
Pristine20 said:

It's been only 8 months after sony sent me their refurbished console and now I have to go through the pocess again and they tell me I have to pay $149 again. The first time they told me I was one of the few unlucky ones, now they're saying the same thing again and I can't believe it. The 60gb is defective...nuff said. I've had the same exact problem: green light---turns yellow---flashes red twice now and I won't be paying for another cosmetic work.

If anyone knows alternate repair centers that can help me out (one in Philadelphia that I can visit especially), please let me know. The most important thing now is my data. I just can't start my kz2 profile all over again. I just want this ps3 repaired long enough for me to back up my data then I'll buy one of the new ones and take a 3 year store replacement warranty this time.

The funniest part of the story is that my ps1 never broke...I threw it away and my ps2 still works. Now my devil summoner 2 disc is stuck in the ps3 and I can't play even play that on my ps2 either. So much for the great "suck-disc" technology. It's almost like consoles are now engineered to fail and we're expected to take it as what it is.

To my fellow VGCz KZ2 clan members, looks like I'll be out for a while. Hopefully not too long. My respect for sony just droppped to zero. If not for kz2, I wont even repurchase a ps3. At least with RRoD, you get 3 years of warranty service. Sony won't admit they have problems.

I can almost gaurantee with 99% certaintity that the failure is due to you having the console in a poorly ventilated space without regularly cleaning the dust off/out of the console. Of course you'll deny that and try to blame it on Sony.

You can't be serious. You haven't heard about all the reports of 60gb units breaking?

Anyway, mine was on a open TV stand on its own shelf, with nothing obstructing or even near the vents. Still got the YLOD after 1.5 years of use. Hugely frustrating as I lost all my ps3 save games, and even some backed up ps2 save games. You are completely blind if you think there are no issues with ps3 reliability, and the only reason people have problems is their own negligence.

Demon's Souls Official Thread  | Currently playing: Left 4 Dead 2, LittleBigPlanet 2, Magicka

ameratsu said:
Username2324 said:
Pristine20 said:

It's been only 8 months after sony sent me their refurbished console and now I have to go through the pocess again and they tell me I have to pay $149 again. The first time they told me I was one of the few unlucky ones, now they're saying the same thing again and I can't believe it. The 60gb is defective...nuff said. I've had the same exact problem: green light---turns yellow---flashes red twice now and I won't be paying for another cosmetic work.

If anyone knows alternate repair centers that can help me out (one in Philadelphia that I can visit especially), please let me know. The most important thing now is my data. I just can't start my kz2 profile all over again. I just want this ps3 repaired long enough for me to back up my data then I'll buy one of the new ones and take a 3 year store replacement warranty this time.

The funniest part of the story is that my ps1 never broke...I threw it away and my ps2 still works. Now my devil summoner 2 disc is stuck in the ps3 and I can't play even play that on my ps2 either. So much for the great "suck-disc" technology. It's almost like consoles are now engineered to fail and we're expected to take it as what it is.

To my fellow VGCz KZ2 clan members, looks like I'll be out for a while. Hopefully not too long. My respect for sony just droppped to zero. If not for kz2, I wont even repurchase a ps3. At least with RRoD, you get 3 years of warranty service. Sony won't admit they have problems.

I can almost gaurantee with 99% certaintity that the failure is due to you having the console in a poorly ventilated space without regularly cleaning the dust off/out of the console. Of course you'll deny that and try to blame it on Sony.

You can't be serious. You haven't heard about all the reports of 60gb units breaking?

Anyway, mine was on a open TV stand on its own shelf, with nothing obstructing or even near the vents. Still got the YLOD after 1.5 years of use. You are completely blind if you think there are no issues with ps3 reliability, and the only reason people have problems is their own negligence.

For some people, their chosen company can do no wrong.  Any suggestion to the contrary is interpreted as a personal attack.  I've been on the receiving end of that first hand.  Now me, I like MS, but I don't own a 360 because PS3 is my console of choice (unless it breaks again).  I like Nintendo, but they haven't always been fair to 3rd parties, and this recent move about SSBB user content totally baffles me.  I love my PS3, but I am no longer wild about any sony optical product.  Point is, love the product, not the corporation, because they are all in it for the money.*

*  As they should be.  I want to see the NeXtBOX, Wii Too, and PS4 after all.

S.T.A.G.E. said:
Fuck Sony and Microsoft. The only brand I would actually trust for quality and longevity is Nintendo. If you want to fix your PS3's and 360's go to Play N Trade and you can get it back within a week.

by the way smart guy microsoft replaced my x360 console for free with my old HDD. replaced not repaired :P

Pristine20 said:
Mirson said:
Pristine20 said:
Xxain said:
pristine how is ur playing habits???...i ask because i notice you play KZ2 like 24/7 or pretty close to that, that would definitely contribute to overheat features

I play a lot. Always did. played ps2 a lot, ps1 a lot....nothing broke. I just tuned on my ps3 to play devil summoner 2 and it went off after 5 mins and never came back on.

Sega genesis had overheating issues but c'mon this is 2009...we still have this problem? The console isn't hot...the problem is that it thinks that it's hot when it's not. Overengineering perhaps?

Damn, that sucks dude; my condolences. Funny, my PS3 died a few minutes after playing Devil Summoner 2.

Talk about bad luck....perhaps the game really summons the devil lol. How did yours break? I know you've been having problems. Mine froze once in a while but I thought it was just teh power of teh killzone lol till today....

Yeah I've been having problems with my PS3 before it died, so I knew it was going to die sooner or later. After completing the prologue, the game froze, and the PS3 couldn't read discs anymore. I got the same one back.

Well good luck to you.

Pristine20 said:
Feylic said:
Pristine20 said:
Xxain said:
Pristine20 said:
Xxain said:
pristine how is ur playing habits???...i ask because i notice you play KZ2 like 24/7 or pretty close to that, that would definitely contribute to overheat features

I play a lot. Always did. played ps2 a lot, ps1 a lot....nothing broke. I just tuned on my ps3 to play devil summoner 2 and it went off after 5 mins and never came back on.

Sega genesis had overheating issues but c'mon this is 2009...we still have this problem? The console isn't hot...the problem is that it thinks that it's hot when it's not. Overengineering perhaps?

i highly suggest giving breaks inbetween( full shut down), higher techs mean higher risk which is contrary to popular belief..and cant compare a PS1&2 to 3

computers are higher tech too yet they somehow stay on for days. It isn't in a cramped space or hot either. It's on a table by itself with a fan next to it. Like the tech said, the problem is that the system thinks it's hot when it really isn't so to avoid burning your house, it shuts itself down...sounds like an engineering issue to me.

You've got to remember that your computer, although on for days at a time, spends most of it's time idling, so it doens't generate that much heat. Try playing a console for 4 hours, then try playing crysis for 4 hours. I guarantee there will be hot air coming out of your computer as well as the console. Unfortunately you just got unlucky here. With 20+million ps3's out there, some of them are going to break :/

but 2? the same owner? the same exact way? It's perhaps partly my fault but isn't that what consoles are buit for...to be played? If you ask me, they should be built to withstand what they were designed for. They've done this in the past, why should it be different now? I personally think console engineering switched focus solely to power and technology and abandoned longevity in the process. Like people have stated, lots of things were jammed into the ps3. Ps2 slim on the other hand is as simple as it gets. It generates almost 0 heat

It's called being unlucky :/ Maybe they sent you back the same console the first time, but the problem wasn't really fixed, and the problem was just delayed until now. And the Ps2 slim generates a lot more than 0 heat. It just dissipates it very well.