By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Sony Discussion - My ps3 has broken...AGAIN!!!

I feel like reports of the YLOD have been on the increase lately. I have no proof to back up what I'm saying, but it just seems like I'm seeing it a lot more lately. It's at least happening enough where the problem has been given a name (YLOD). Thing is, Sony tends to charge $150 to repair it after the first year. Therefore, there are loads of videos of people on youtube trying to fix their own YLODs. It sounds like it's caused by either a bad power supply or the graphics or CPU chip separating from the motherboard. (sounds awfully familiar)

Anyway, I guess the lesson learned here is that NO electronic device is failure proof. No trying to troll at all--just pointing out some things I've noticed.

Around the Network

Hey man,

Are you sure you got a different PS3 when you sent it away last time?  My buddy murdered his, sent it away, and got the same unit back (serial # confirmation), but with a wiped HD.  Maybe your specific PS3 is a bit of a lemon. 

Also, I think your online KZ2 ID will be fine, just your single player progress will be lost.  Online stats are all server side, and linked to your PSN ID.  So you wont lose your top 100 position =P

Epoch said:

Hey man,

Are you sure you got a different PS3 when you sent it away last time?  My buddy murdered his, sent it away, and got the same unit back (serial # confirmation), but with a wiped HD.  Maybe your specific PS3 is a bit of a lemon. 

Also, I think your online KZ2 ID will be fine, just your single player progress will be lost.  Online stats are all server side, and linked to your PSN ID.  So you wont lose your top 100 position =P

I hope you're right but that wasn't the case with soul calibur IV. I was ranked #3 and lost everything when my ps3 broke the first time and yes I did check the serial # and it was different. My suspicion is that this was a refurb ps3 that broke for the same reason and is thus one of a set of lemons that sony keeps sending to people to save money and thats just not right.

Besides eitherway, I'll probably have to unlock all the medals/ribbons again and thats not cool.

"Dr. Tenma, according to you, lives are equal. That's why I live today. But you must have realised it by now...the only thing people are equal in is death"---Johann Liebert (MONSTER)

"WAR is a racket. It always has been.

It is possibly the oldest, easily the most profitable, surely the most vicious. It is the only one international in scope. It is the only one in which the profits are reckoned in dollars and the losses in lives"---Maj. Gen. Smedley Butler

bobobologna said:
Squilliam said:
bobobologna said:
Squilliam said:
;_; do you have a friend with a PS3 you could use your HDD in? ;_;

Unfortunately you can't do that.  PS3 HDDs are encrypted and tied to the PS3's ID.  So if you put it in a different PS3, it won't read the HDD, and will ask you to reformat.

Bad Sony!

Yea, as much as I like my PS3, I have to admit that there are some things that Microsoft and the XBox360 handle better.  I hate the huge markup Microsoft charges for their HDDs, but I do admire that the HDD isn't tied to a single XBox360.

I hate that too - but to be fair the PS3 remains unhacked and I suspect this is just one of a number of tighter elements on the PS3 that has prevented that.

OP - Having had a few PS3's fail (I think I know why now) I've taken to a Sunday night backup of save games, etc. that way at worst I lose a week of play.

So far as I can see Trophy info is fine so long as you're syncing - it's just your local saves and data you need to backup.

One other annoyance (but again I'm guessing its anti-piracy) is that while the full backup saves your PSN titles, if you get a replacement PS3 it will refuse to restore them as the ID is different (it will restore saves, etc. and everything else).  So once you're up and running again expect to fire of a bunch of PSN downloads for those titles (assuming you have PSN titles).

All in all the Trophy sync and backup utility does protect most of the data you really care about - but at the same time the PS3 is a bit of a pain when it dies and get's replaced, mainly down to barriers that I suspect are to prevent piracy or similar activity.

Personally I think Sony should look at Steam, relax  little and put more focus in tieing content to a PSN ID (perhaps making a PSN ID mandatory) and not tieing it to the individual PS3 so much.

For those curious about the mystery of how I managed to burn out 3 PS3s, I've finally pinpointed that while I was travelling for business, our house suffered the fuse box blowing, which my wife always replaced in my absence, and in each case the PS3 was active with my kids playing it.  After the power was restored the PS3 was loud then failed the next day.  I can only conclude that PS3's do not like abrupt power interuptions like that in the middle of extended playing sessions.

Try to be reasonable... its easier than you think...

shanbcn said:
Hopefully you will get your PS3 fixed soon.

Yeah hopefully. I'm really optimistic about play N trade. I'll be back with updates

"Dr. Tenma, according to you, lives are equal. That's why I live today. But you must have realised it by now...the only thing people are equal in is death"---Johann Liebert (MONSTER)

It is possibly the oldest, easily the most profitable, surely the most vicious. It is the only one international in scope. It is the only one in which the profits are reckoned in dollars and the losses in lives"---Maj. Gen. Smedley Butler

Around the Network
Reasonable said:
bobobologna said:
Squilliam said:
bobobologna said:
Squilliam said:
;_; do you have a friend with a PS3 you could use your HDD in? ;_;

Unfortunately you can't do that.  PS3 HDDs are encrypted and tied to the PS3's ID.  So if you put it in a different PS3, it won't read the HDD, and will ask you to reformat.

Bad Sony!

Yea, as much as I like my PS3, I have to admit that there are some things that Microsoft and the XBox360 handle better.  I hate the huge markup Microsoft charges for their HDDs, but I do admire that the HDD isn't tied to a single XBox360.

I hate that too - but to be fair the PS3 remains unhacked and I suspect this is just one of a number of tighter elements on the PS3 that has prevented that.

OP - Having had a few PS3's fail (I think I know why now) I've taken to a Sunday night backup of save games, etc. that way at worst I lose a week of play.

So far as I can see Trophy info is fine so long as you're syncing - it's just your local saves and data you need to backup.

One other annoyance (but again I'm guessing its anti-piracy) is that while the full backup saves your PSN titles, if you get a replacement PS3 it will refuse to restore them as the ID is different (it will restore saves, etc. and everything else).  So once you're up and running again expect to fire of a bunch of PSN downloads for those titles (assuming you have PSN titles).

All in all the Trophy sync and backup utility does protect most of the data you really care about - but at the same time the PS3 is a bit of a pain when it dies and get's replaced, mainly down to barriers that I suspect are to prevent piracy or similar activity.

Personally I think Sony should look at Steam, relax  little and put more focus in tieing content to a PSN ID (perhaps making a PSN ID mandatory) and not tieing it to the individual PS3 so much.

For those curious about the mystery of how I managed to burn out 3 PS3s, I've finally pinpointed that while I was travelling for business, our house suffered the fuse box blowing, which my wife always replaced in my absence, and in each case the PS3 was active with my kids playing it.  After the power was restored the PS3 was loud then failed the next day.  I can only conclude that PS3's do not like abrupt power interuptions like that in the middle of extended playing sessions.

3 failed ps3s? damn man...I thought I was unique. In my case though, I have no explanation...the thing just quit

C_Hollomon said:
Do you clean your PS3?

yes, the outside only but I think I'm getting the idea that I need to clean the insides too and I've never done this with any electronic device before. If you let me know exactly how to do this I'd very much appreciate it.

@ Reasonable, perhaps its the wiring in your house? If you blew a fuse 3 times...

@ Pristine, I feel like an arse saying this, but why not spend the money and check out an Xbox 360? You can wait for the new $300 PS3 and try some games you missed at the same time.

Tease.

Squilliam said:
@ Reasonable, perhaps its the wiring in your house? If you blew a fuse 3 times...

@ Pristine, I feel like an arse saying this, but why not spend the money and check out an Xbox 360? You can wait for the new $300 PS3 and try some games you missed at the same time.

He can buy a 360 later. This was about fixing his PS3 my friend, and at PlayNTrade it will only cost about 80 bucks. $25 fee for diagnostics and a 55 for the fix.

S.T.A.G.E. said:
Squilliam said:

He can buy a 360 later. This was about fixing his PS3 my friend, and at PlayNTrade it will only cost about 80 bucks. $25 fee for diagnostics and a 55 for the fix.

Well I didn't know about that deal. I was assuming $150 vs $200 so the cost seemed pretty similar and the thread had almost run its course.

Tease.