By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Sony Discussion - GCN Exclusive: Say hello to the PSP Go - First pics of PSP Go

Yea, price is something to worry about with downloads.

....and since this isn't Valve and Steam we're talking about :P

Around the Network
MonstaMack said:
Also we are all forgetting one important thing: PRICES ON GAMES! Will there ever be price drops on download only titles? There are on Steam, but PSN price drops? We shall see.

I noticed Jeanne D'Arc and some of the new PSN download titles are more expensive then the retail UMD used prices.

That will be pretty stupid if they r selling it for higher price.. the saving should be passed over to customer.

Its the white flag for UMD. I cannot believe there was no flash memory in the old PSP. I wouldn't call this particularly innovative either since the DSi has done everything here already but since its so small the slide controls actually don't seem so cumbersome.

I like it, that Youtube video convinced me. The DSi should have included more memory.

“When we make some new announcement and if there is no positive initial reaction from the market, I try to think of it as a good sign because that can be interpreted as people reacting to something groundbreaking. ...if the employees were always minding themselves to do whatever the market is requiring at any moment, and if they were always focusing on something we can sell right now for the short term, it would be very limiting. We are trying to think outside the box.” - Satoru Iwata - This is why corporate multinationals will never truly understand, or risk doing, what Nintendo does.

naznatips said:
hunter_alien said:
Lostplanet22 said:
Brett is going to have a hard time to get now sales numbers of new PSP games.

Yeah, well for Others its not an issues, because that region is terrible innacurate anyways. The only difference will be that if a game is released then the opening will be even lower because of all the gamers whom download the games day 1, and even more PSP SOFTWARE DOOOMDZ threads will apear ;)

Did you ever consider the effects this will have on PSP software sales?

UMDs sell terribly already. So bad that back in 2007 some stores in the US were threatening to stop stocking them. Consider what will happen if a large portion of the already poor sales suddenly goes downloadable. Oops. Suddenly that threat of dropping PSP games becomes real. Retail stock of UMDs will be slim, and smaller games probably won't be stocked at all.

Let's look at another major issue here... pricing. We are looking at a handheld system that will start for at LEAST the Wii retail price. Oh! But wait! It gets worse. Because PSN games never drop in price (unlike good DD services like, say, Steam) you will have to pay full launch retail price ($30-$40) for every PSP game you ever buy. Cost of ownership by that alone more than dobules.

First of all that was for UMD movies, and NOT games. Second of all, most stores did drop tehm :P For games they only made the stands smaller, and except some rumors there where no real threats to drop games.

Also, I highly doubt that the PSP GO will retail at 250$, IMO it will be in the PSP3ks pricing region, and some articles even claimed that it might drop from 170 to 150$...

If games are going DL only, I dont see that as a bad thing at all. There are over 50 million UMD capable gadgets out there and software sales are still far from stellar. With putting them on the PSN dirrectly developers can have their game start at ~25-30$ and make the same profit from them as they would on a full priuced UMD game. Then there is the rental service that will launch, and probably other pricing arrangements that I bet Sony still didnt revealed. Hell, we barely know anything about the hardware itself.

I say lets wait for e3 and only after that discuss that was it worth it for Sony to make a DL only handhled or not.

Vote the Mayor for Mayor!

Nazna, there are sales on PSN, usually 50% off select games. Though you are right that there are no price drops.

Demon's Souls Official Thread  | Currently playing: Left 4 Dead 2, LittleBigPlanet 2, Magicka

Around the Network
IllegalPaladin said:
richardhutnik said:
Noobie said:

The PSP Go is a GREAT test for whether you are a Sony Fanboy.  If you defend the unit, think it is awesome and did everything right, you likely are.  If you don't see the issues with it, and don't have reservations, you defintely are.  If the said released titles for it get you all goosebumpy, odds are you are a Sony Fanboy.

As for that last part, why offend others with crap like that?

As has been indicated by replies in this thread, the predominance of people going, "WOW AWESOME!  I will buy it the first day it comes out."  And then get all excited also about Jaks and Daxter, are fans of Sony.  Based on this, I reached a conclusion that the PSP Go apparently is a good measure of whether or not someone is a Sony fanboy or not.  Again, if it is the belief that it is a Megaton and a big game changer (rather than a tech refresh) that seems to mark someone who is a Sony fanboy.

Yeah you guys should take a look at the comments on engadget. I lost count on how many times I counted the word "ugly".

This will give a small boost to sales and maybe more in the long run if prices are low enough. Let's start making predictions, shall we?

It's just that simple.

richardhutnik said:
IllegalPaladin said:
richardhutnik said:
Noobie said:

The PSP Go is a GREAT test for whether you are a Sony Fanboy.  If you defend the unit, think it is awesome and did everything right, you likely are.  If you don't see the issues with it, and don't have reservations, you defintely are.  If the said released titles for it get you all goosebumpy, odds are you are a Sony Fanboy.

As for that last part, why offend others with crap like that?

As has been indicated by replies in this thread, the predominance of people going, "WOW AWESOME!  I will buy it the first day it comes out."  And then get all excited also about Jaks and Daxter, are fans of Sony.  Based on this, I reached a conclusion that the PSP Go apparently is a good measure of whether or not someone is a Sony fanboy or not.  Again, if it is the belief that it is a Megaton and a big game changer (rather than a tech refresh) that seems to mark someone who is a Sony fanboy.

So many things wrong with this.

1. Sony fan doesn't equal Sony fanboy. People are allowed to be excited about things without being fanboys, right?

2. You can't just change everything with that last line, "Again, if it is the belief that it is a Megaton and a big game changer (rather than a tech refresh) that seems to mark someone who is a Sony fanboy." Again? That is completely different from your first line. You're saying someone is a fanboy if they are excited for this, or if they think it is significant? So the only way you can NOT be a fanboy is to not be excited and assume it will bomb? Ridiculous.

I think it looks alright. However, the inclusion of bluetooth leads me to believe that there may be other new features in store for the device that they haven't told us about.

If the screen is a touchscreen (honestly, why bother with the PS button on the top if the device has no other uses while closed), and if you have access to your PSN Friend list now, then it'd be worth the upgrade.

It might be like the DSi, with some minor processor improvements to facilitate a better OS and other minor hardware upgrades, with games otherwise remaining the same (aside from some small exclusive features, like camera support, or in this case, theoretical touch screen support - using a touchscreen in the LBP editor?).

However, if its just smaller and DD only, then meh.

Either way, I think this will make the PSP even more popular in Japan. DD is already real big over there (compare the Japanese sales of Patapon, released only on UMD, to Patapon 2, which was released simulataneously on PSN and UMD), and given the tiny size of thise device, I could see it taking off.

If the new PSP is merely a smaller device that's DD only, I think it will cost no more than the current PSP, if not less than the current PSP, because:

1. No UMD and in general less parts means its cheaper to produce, thus they don't need to charge as much.

-and-

2. They'd want to give people an incentive to pick this model over the 3000, as they have higher margins (rather, less costs) with DD. They want to sell more games via DD than UMD, so they'd want to get more people to pick the DD-only system over their other offering.