By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Sony Discussion - GCN Exclusive: Say hello to the PSP Go - First pics of PSP Go

theprof00 said:
I'm guessing that every game will be available online through a portal like playstation.com. So you won't need a ps3, or another psp, but every pspgo will come with a cord for the computer hookup. That's what I'm guessing.

Or think about this, a stand at your gamestop or walmart. You connect using your psp via wire or network and download the game from there in less than a minute.

It has a wireless internet connection so you'd be able to access the Playstation Store that way. You'd probably still be also transfer things by cord from computer to PSP Go as well as using a memory stick.

----

I'm not really sold at a more expensive price than the other PSP's. I checked on Gamestop and saw that the PSP (without bundle) was about $150. I wouldn't really want to spend much more than that on it or just get an older PSP if I really wanted it.

Though since I already have an PMP I'm not really that interested in rushing out to get a PSP even if the games are great.

Around the Network
MonstaMack said:
Outside of the obvious Sony fans or people who never owned a PSP, the response on the Internet seems to be overwhelmingly bad. Hopefully the public doesn't feel the same way. It's gonna be interesting cause I work at a major retail chain and I'm going to have to tell a lot of people that they have to download all their games and they are gonna be like "Wtf?".

i think if they can bring new gamers onto PSP than thats a gr8 news.. its better to have new ppl buying PSP than existing user upgrading to PSP Go, cuz it will mean REAL increase in user base. 

Btw i was just wandering if PSP GO can accept external flash memory, than why can publishers distribute it through flash memory using some copy right protection mechanism? going 100% digital is a lot risky and maybe a little premature in my opinion.. So i do expect Sony to have a second way of physical distribution of games. 

Just my opinion.

199$ is a logical start price ipod touch 8gb costs 229$.HOWEVER if you think about it psp go might be cost as musch as psp to built or even less due to a smaller screen and no umd,flash memories are getting cheaper and bluetooth well i think that wont add any cost.So a smaller screen and no umd to 16gb flash memory...........that leads me to believe that it wont cost that much to produce.....of course sony might shoot for profit!!!!!

you know, i love my PSP, and i love my catalogue of games on UMD. So i have serious reservations about not being able to play my collection on the PSP Go.

But, one thing that does bug me is the size of the 3000. It's light and slim, but it is WIDE. when i'm out and about its simply a bit of a pain to carry it around without a bag or a BIG jacket with big pockets. especially in the summer when it's too big to fit the pocket of my jeans, i end up carrying it around in my hand when listening to music.

The PSP Go would be far better for this. it looks small and light enough to slip in your pocket and take it wherever you go. I may think about getting one just for this, but keep my 3000 for when i want to play my UMD catalogue...

And i still have my release date 1000 sitting around too...

Atari 2600, Sega Mega Drive, Game Boy, Game Boy Advanced, N64, Playstation, Xbox, PSP Phat, PSP 3000, and PS3 60gb (upgraded to 320gb), NDS

Linux Ubuntu user

Favourite game: Killzone 3

Noobie said:
MonstaMack said:
Outside of the obvious Sony fans or people who never owned a PSP, the response on the Internet seems to be overwhelmingly bad. Hopefully the public doesn't feel the same way. It's gonna be interesting cause I work at a major retail chain and I'm going to have to tell a lot of people that they have to download all their games and they are gonna be like "Wtf?".

i think if they can bring new gamers onto PSP than thats a gr8 news.. its better to have new ppl buying PSP than existing user upgrading to PSP Go, cuz it will mean REAL increase in user base. 

Btw i was just wandering if PSP GO can accept external flash memory, than why can publishers distribute it through flash memory using some copy right protection mechanism? going 100% digital is a lot risky and maybe a little premature in my opinion.. So i do expect Sony to have a second way of physical distribution of games. 

Just my opinion.

Isn't it possible to buy SD cards with a 'cd' of music content on them?

Unless you get a voucher to be able to redownload the game when you buy that way, something about spending $XX for a memory stick doesn't sit well with me. I think it's just the thought that what you're buying is physically as big as a fingernail (if the PSP go uses Memory Stick Micro like I thought I heard).

Around the Network

shame it doesn't have a touch screen and SIM card slot... i'd weep tears of joy :')

Atari 2600, Sega Mega Drive, Game Boy, Game Boy Advanced, N64, Playstation, Xbox, PSP Phat, PSP 3000, and PS3 60gb (upgraded to 320gb), NDS

Linux Ubuntu user

Favourite game: Killzone 3

hmm, well i guess this was bought and paid for way before the economic crisis. The issue is whether this will revitalise the PSP market share. Nothing else has been working so we'll see.

I agree the design is weak and clumsy but this is whats happened to Sony, there designs just arn't as great as they used to be. Would have suited the old widescreen look better if the buttons slide out from each side, like racing wheel grip, im thinking Game gear style, and there wouldn't be complaints about the squashed controls underneath.

“When we make some new announcement and if there is no positive initial reaction from the market, I try to think of it as a good sign because that can be interpreted as people reacting to something groundbreaking. ...if the employees were always minding themselves to do whatever the market is requiring at any moment, and if they were always focusing on something we can sell right now for the short term, it would be very limiting. We are trying to think outside the box.” - Satoru Iwata - This is why corporate multinationals will never truly understand, or risk doing, what Nintendo does.

Positives include the fact its only got 16Gb on board. It will be cheaper and going cheaper is exactly what Sony have needed to do for a long long time. Their tech has got to be more price competitive, especially considering Korean companies are taking over.

“When we make some new announcement and if there is no positive initial reaction from the market, I try to think of it as a good sign because that can be interpreted as people reacting to something groundbreaking. ...if the employees were always minding themselves to do whatever the market is requiring at any moment, and if they were always focusing on something we can sell right now for the short term, it would be very limiting. We are trying to think outside the box.” - Satoru Iwata - This is why corporate multinationals will never truly understand, or risk doing, what Nintendo does.

Also we are all forgetting one important thing: PRICES ON GAMES! Will there ever be price drops on download only titles? There are on Steam, but PSN price drops? We shall see.

I noticed Jeanne D'Arc and some of the new PSN download titles are more expensive then the retail UMD used prices.

It's just that simple.

Example: Killzone PSP $16 (plus taxes I'm assuming for everything) eBay: $8 or less. Brand new on Wal-Mart.com for $11.
The Con, Field Commander, Gangs of London ($23? WTF?), Locoroco 1 $23, PaRappa $23 and many more can be found a lot cheaper B&M and on eBay. These prices do not bold well for future download only games

Hopefully third party games end up a lot cheaper.

It's just that simple.