By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Sony Discussion - The problem with PSP *Discussion*

Just a simple discussion to pinpoint what it is about the PSP that stumps sales. 

Don't expect the PSP Slim & Lite to save the day because the problem with the PSP was not it's design,

The price of the PSP is fine, it's come down alot over the times,

Most of us enjoy the games, it's library has no problems,

So why does it get so brutally beaten by the DS?

Well I think it is to do somewhat with it's library, maybe 20% of the reason.

Regardless of Sony's goal the PSP is pointing at the exact same market as the DS, non-hardcore 8-18 year olds.

It hasn't got Pokemon and Mario, I think the PSP is doing the absolute best any portable console can do without Pokemon or Mario, or maybe people just like the idea of two screens and one of them being a touch screen..?

Would the PSP be doing that much better even if Nintendo didn't currently have a portable console out at the moment?

Anyone got an ideas?

I think the PSP is doing great and will continue to do great, I just think it has potential to be up there with DS.

Around the Network

fanboy much.

Who cars now time will show the truth.

Hadcore gamers dont consider handhelds hard core and buy consoles.

Little kids go for ds since there parents dont want to waste money on the psp. Not only that but according to the same girl that said the 360 was more entertaining than her wii, she said to me the psp is to hard to manage. And the loading sucks.

Most people dont know the psp has internet

They dont know it takes pictures

They dont know it connects with the ps3

The ds has a more fun library of games for now(I have the ds).

mM
Bttles said:
fanboy much.

He's asking for opinions on why the PSP isn't performing as good as the DS. Why does that make him a fanboy?

If there was no Nintendo handhelds, PSP would have 99% of the Handheld market, and would have sold 30-50 million so far.
The design (aesthetically) was fine, the power/price/feautres design was ok, I would have made an $100 loss leading PSP with exact PS1 grpahics and lots of $20 PS1 games on PSP, as well as new IPs...
Library is weak because games sell poorly because it also does music/movies
music/movies sell hardware, but not software, so the loss of software reduces harware, so it comes out even in hardware, losses in software, losses money. $100 literal PSP (literally a portable ps1) would have been better.

Around the Network

The psp is a portable ps1.

I forgot to mention, only 13% of psp owners know it plays playstation 1 games.

mM

Everyone knows Nintendo makes handheld system and games.

Everyone just realized that Sony just came into the handheld market, so they are a newcomer, whereas Nintendo is a veretan at the handhelds period.

Now that is a good explaination.

leo-j said:
They dont know it takes pictures

The PSP has a camera? Wow.

And the PSP is not a lot more expensive than the DS... at least here it's not.

PSP and game: ~$290

http://www.gameplanet.com/gdetalles.php?search=&offset=0&sist=7&g=8&n=&pd=010205423512&p=&top=

DS Lite alone: ~$220

http://www.gameplanet.com/gdetalles.php?search=&offset=0&sist=1&g=8&n=1&pd=045496717544&p=&top= 

i want a second control nub... fps on it not cool.... hand cramps........(to imagine my hands, i can play the old duke xbox controler one handed comfortably)..... i enjoy the games i have, still waiting for locorocko to drop 5 more dollars in price used, and the media stuff on it is nice i guess, though i use my ipod more, the background setting is fun... why no camera in the states

come play minecraft @  mcg.hansrotech.com

minecraft name: hansrotec

XBL name: Goddog

Dolla Dolla said:
Bttles said:
fanboy much.

He's asking for opinions on why the PSP isn't performing as good as the DS. Why does that make him a fanboy?

His first sentance he is forcing his opinion already, thats why.

Anwsers are simple.

From day one sony marketed to a older crowd, nintendo went fot the kids. This is changing now and sony them selfs are making more kids/girls/casual games.

Also PSP has yet to really get killer app, FFCC is the first one God of War will be the second. PSPs has lacked software to drive sales. Where the hell is Sont juggernout franchise ?its not yyet on psp.