By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Sony Discussion - The problem with PSP *Discussion*

I didn't know the PSP was doing so bad. I'd love to have rights to a console that sold so many units!

It seems the mods need help with this forum.  I have zero tolerance for trolling, platform criticism (Rule 4), and poster bad-mouthing (Rule 3.4) and you will be reported.

Review before posting: http://vgchartz.com/forum/rules.php

Around the Network

The PSP is selling fine for a handheld. The DS is just a freak. I think it was hurt a lot by it's multi-media focus... noone cares. People arn't buying it for those options, they're buying it for the same reason the I-Pod sells. It's easy to use with pirated software. If the PSP ever came out with firmware that couldn't be hacked i'd bet it's sales would drop off like crazy.

Also, Leo-J.

I've got a portable device that can take photos and go on the internet as well.

It's called a Cellphone.

It doesn't link up with the PS3, but since nobody really has many PS3's right now that doesn't matter much. Nor do i think would it matter anyway. I mean I don't think the Gamecube/Gameboy Advance linkup system was really moving Gameboy Advances.

The DS is just "THE" system to have for kids, and apparently the Japanese in general considering it's sold silly amounts their.

Given the choice i don't see any kid taking the PSP over the DS. Their schoolmates just wouldn't let them live it down. I don't know a kid under 13 that doesn't have a DS. Of course that's basically only relatives as i don't make it a habit to hang out with kids under 13. From what they've told me however all of their friends have ones too.

Pokemon in the US and The Training games in Japan are just too much of a force to be reckoned with.

I got a 9 year old daughter thats dieing for a Wii. She would like a DS or has even hinted that I should give her my PSP. I only know of one of her friends that has either and he has a DS. We went on vacation with the family this summer and 2 of her under 13 yrd old cousins had PSP's. I have asked about her classmates and she doesnt know much about any having DS's or PSP's. A few do have IPods though.

Kasz216 said:
I've got a portable device that can take photos and go on the internet as well.

It's called a Cellphone.

It doesn't link up with the PS3

Funny, my Cellphone is registered on my PS3 through blue tooth (but right now it only supports it as a headset...) and I can take the microSD card and transfer pictures and music between the two.

It seems the mods need help with this forum.  I have zero tolerance for trolling, platform criticism (Rule 4), and poster bad-mouthing (Rule 3.4) and you will be reported.

Review before posting: http://vgchartz.com/forum/rules.php

Soriku said:
jhlennon1 said:
I hardly call selling 26million a failure that needs saving...

A portable in about 3 years...that's kinda bad. At the very least bad compared to the DS.

Yeah , your right , especially with the powerfull 48 million selling GBC ... which will be probably beaten by the PSP ... and the N-gage , and the Gizmondo ... or older ones like the Lynx ... And 3 years ... WTF ? Seriously , it is only on the EU market for 2 years , and 2.5 on the US market ... 3 years will be in nearly 3 month in Japan alone ...

Vote the Mayor for Mayor!

Around the Network

IMO, some are over-reasonning in this topic

This : http://www.vgchartz.com/hwcomps.php?cons1=DS&reg1=All&cons2=PSP&reg2=All&cons3=DS&reg3=All

sums up  my view.

DS vs PSP sales were driven essentailly by software realeases.

If you look closely to the first year, you will see that sales were fairly similar. It is on the first "real" holiday season, along with major software releases on DS (Brain Training, Nintendogs) that the gap started to really exist and widen.

By the time, other software releases (Pokemon, NSMB, ...) concurred to widen the gap.

Nobody can deny that no software on PSP had impacts similar that such titles. 

I agree ... look at MHF 2 and GTA : LCS ... those are the perfect proof :)

Vote the Mayor for Mayor!

hunter_alien said:

That is the perfect proof, thanks for bringing up those excellent games. Both of those games appeal immensely to the core gamer and don't expand the market. The PSP is a machine for the core gamer and that's a problem. It is not bringing in a new audience.

fkusumot said:
hunter_alien said:

That is the perfect proof, thanks for bringing up those excellent games. Both of those games appeal immensely to the core gamer and don't expand the market. The PSP is a machine for the core gamer and that's a problem. It is not bringing in a new audience.

You couldn't had said it any better. Sony focuses on the core, whereas Nintendo is really focusing on the casual audience and trying to expand. But sooner or later that audience Nintendo picks up will become hardcore some day and will turn to the PSP.

1) Battery life
2) "hard core" gamers (PSP's target) prefer consoles. Casual gamers prefer handhelds
3) This is the portable market, the only thing keeping Nintendo alive during the PS1/2 era. Sony aiming to take the portable market was not the best plan, the whole 'backing an animal into a corner' thing. Sony could have done it, if they actually really put effort into it and focused on it. Sony didn't do this though for an extended period of time, it was never Sony's first priority. Meanwhile, Nintendo put in everything they had and continued to do so, hence the sheer number of 1st and 3rd party games.