By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Sony Discussion - The problem with PSP *Discussion*

Soriku said:
GranTurismo said:
The PSP also has GTA games, this beats anything the DS has.

Even Mario and Pokemon?

Mario and Poekmon on DS, while still great, were not as good as their GB games (GBC pokemon gmaes were godly... made GBC worth owning. MArio on GBC was crap tho...) MArio Land 2: 8 golden coins is 4 times better than new super mario bros. If nsmb didint have amazingly fun ultiplayer, it would be 10 times better...

imo PSP has better games 

Around the Network
Rath said:
GranTurismo said:

In your opinion.

Pokemon is actually a much larger franchise than GTA ever has been.

Personally the reason I chose the DS>PSP is because I think the DS is a better gaming device, I have no need for a multimedia device at all. 

Let me ask, Do you have a iPod or CD Player?

If a iPod, then I'm right. The iPod is kicking Sony butt in that department.

GranTurismo said:

Also?? What else were you thinking of? The DS has Mario, Pokemon, Final Fantasy, Dragon Quest, Ninja Gaiden, and the Touch Generation Series. 6 out of those listed have sold more then GTA ever has on the PSP.

andrewpeirce said:
Soriku said:
GranTurismo said:

Even Mario and Pokemon?

Mario and Poekmon on DS, while still great, were not as good as their GB games (GBC pokemon gmaes were godly... made GBC worth owning. MArio on GBC was crap tho...) MArio Land 2: 8 golden coins is 4 times better than new super mario bros. If nsmb didint have amazingly fun ultiplayer, it would be 10 times better...

imo PSP has better games 

Are you being smart or are you serious?

ArtofAngels said:
GranTurismo said:

Also?? What else were you thinking of? The DS has Mario, Pokemon, Final Fantasy, Dragon Quest, Ninja Gaiden, and the Touch Generation Series. 6 out of those listed have sold more then GTA ever has on the PSP.

Congrats to Nintendo they know how to work the handheld market.

Around the Network

I strongly dissagree with parents not buying their kids psps, as I've seen a goodly number of younger kids with psp, well anyway maybe people bought games in stead of pirating them the psp would be doing better with software
anyway I personally think from a hardware stand point the psp is doing fine 23 million in 2 and a half years should be fine, it isn't the ds but seriously come on
anyway as it stands I'm glad both exists as I enjoy them both, but if I had to erase one off the face of the earth and make it as if it never existed it'd be the psp.
furthermore if nintendo had no handheld on the market I really don't think the psp would exist as there wouldn't be a handheld market but that's all just hear say
the way I see it nothing could change the psp's position ds is the success it is soley on it's own merrits not on the short comings of the psp
the psp's success at the same time are soley on its merrits as well, it managed to carve an additional segment out for the handheld market ( I never for a second believe it took market share from nintendo, that's just rediculous)

I HAVE A DOUBLE DRAGON CAB IN MY KITCHEN!!!!!!

NOW A PUNISHER CAB!!!!!!!!!!!!!

PSP hardware is selling fine. The software is the problem.

There are various reasons for this:
1/ Sony is positioning the PSP are "more" than a game player. It makes for a great portable media player. This also means its perceived as "less" of a games machine than the DS is (similar issue to the PS3 vrs 360 IMO).

2/ Piracy is rampant. There are again a couple of reasons for this.

3/ Its a portable console. As a result, it gets the SAME games that the PS2 gets. Yet the games are always inferior on the PSP than when on the PS2 - plus more expensive (in general?). Its hard to make an awesome PSP title - that wouldn't be better on the PS2.

I still argue the core difference between the PSP & DS is the media - disc vrs cartridge based. Part of the reason piracy started, is that when games are loaded/run via memory stick (rather than UMD) they run better. This provides a "piracy entry point" for gamers who have no interest in piracy. And once you start down that track, copying games follows.

Its also hard to compete against Nintendo. Like any two-way console battle, whoever gets their nose in front first gets a real boost - more support, better games, blockbusters, etc. The DS jumped ahead once the DSLite was released - and the PSP has been on the back foot ever since.

The PSP has been a successful console, and will end up making Sony a lot of money. But it will always be overshadowed by the DS.

I restate - Sony *must* release the PSP2 before the DS2 is released - and IMO really, really must drop disc based media - and fix the other issues. Otherwise they will get crunched all over again.

And re: DS is for kids - that is a complete fallacy. Not only may the DS have a "higher" average age for general purchasers, it has a lot more "applications" that appeal to adults - and has a much, much higher market share than the PSP for adults.

Gesta Non Verba

Nocturnal is helping companies get cheaper game ratings in Australia:

Game Assessment website

Wii code: 2263 4706 2910 1099

W29 said:
Rath said:
GranTurismo said:

In your opinion.

Pokemon is actually a much larger franchise than GTA ever has been.

Personally the reason I chose the DS>PSP is because I think the DS is a better gaming device, I have no need for a multimedia device at all.

Let me ask, Do you have a iPod or CD Player?

If a iPod, then I'm right. The iPod is kicking Sony butt in that department.

Ironically I have a brand spanking new Sony Walkman MP3 player.

I believe the problem lies with Sony. When you look at Nintendo and how they market the DS and the Wii, you get the impression that they put them both on equal footing. Both get time to shine equally. Sony treats the PSP like second bananas compared to the PS3. If Sony we're to put more of their muscle behind their handheld, they would reap the benefits.

Tag: Became a freaking mod and a complete douche, coincidentally, at the same time.

PSP is for the core gamer. Is that a problem? Yep.