By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Sales Discussion - Killzone 2 fails to crack 1 million units in US

Killzone 2 fails to crack 1 million units in US

Further new NPD Group data has revealed lifetime sales to date for Sony's Killzone 2 title in the US, with the game so far selling only 677,000 units.

First released on February 27, the PlayStation 3 exclusive debuted in the February sales chart at number five, with 323,000 units sold. In the March results the game fell only two places to number seven, with 296,000 units sold.

By April though the game had fallen outside of the top 20, but data provided to website Gamasutra reveals that it sold 58,000 units during the month. As result the game's lifetime total to date in the US currently stands at 677,000 units.

On its release Sony proclaimed Killzone 2 to be its fastest-selling title ever in the US, in terms of reaching 500,000 unit sales. Responding to the March NPD chart, Sony also revealed that worldwide sales had passed 1 million units, suggesting sales in PAL territories at the time of around 400,000 units (The game was not released in Japan until April 23).

Although the sales figures are strong by most standards the game is reported to have cost over EUR 40 million to develop. Perhaps most importantly for Sony, the title has failed to drive hardware sales on the PlayStation 3, which have actually dropped year-on-year in the US since the game's release.

http://www.gamesindustry.biz/articles/killzone-2-fails-to-crack-1-million-units-in-us

------

VGC has K2 at 1.59 million, today.

Imagine not having GamePass on your console...

Around the Network

VGC has K2 at 760k in Americas, which seems perfectly reasonable

Yep... IMO vgc is tracking it pretty damn well ;) Well it will eventually pass the 2 million mark without serious bundling, so hurray for KZ2 :P

Vote the Mayor for Mayor!

I m wondering what the title would have done if it would have been released in Xmas but we will never know.

Also for the YoY comparaison, well, between the strong competition, the high price, no price cut and the recession ... the PS3 sales may have been even lower without KZ2. Again, we will never know.

Time to Work !

Duplicate post didnt we have something similar just a couple of days ago? or is just an Xbox fan trying to undermine the value of KZ2?

KZ2 is the best shooter I have ever played and nothing will change that. I am just feeling sorry for you since you are missing something special.

Around the Network

oh - have they stopped selling KZ2 in the US now?
why?

Proud Sony Rear Admiral

Glad to see xbox fans interested in this game (even if its in the wrong way)

BTW: the game didn't stop selling

Vote to Localize — SEGA and Konami Polls

Vote Today To Help Get A Konami & SEGA Game Localized.This Will Only Work If Lots Of People Vote.

Click on the Image to Head to the Voting Page (A vote for Yakuza is a vote to save gaming)

^ Im sure many feel the same way towards you.

Tease.

they shouldnt have released the demo. the poor controls and aiming turned people off, reducing the sales.

"I like my steaks how i like my women.  Bloody and all over my face"

"Its like sex, but with a winner!"

MrBubbles Review Threads: Bill Gates, Jak II, Kingdom Hearts II, The Strangers, Sly 2, Crackdown, Zohan, Quarantine, Klungo Sssavesss Teh World, MS@E3'08, WATCHMEN(movie), Shadow of the Colossus, The Saboteur

Hmmm...I'm surprised the game hasn't sold faster. It seems well deserving of the hype. My roommate is a PC gamer and he raves about KZ2 and was really impressed with the stat tracking.