By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Sales Discussion - Killzone 2 fails to crack 1 million units in US

Kantor said:
Zuhyc said:

Sony said it was their fastest selling first party game, not the fastest selling ps3 game.

They meant this gen! GT4 was a lot faster selling than Killzone 2...

Right, I forgot to say that.

Around the Network

Scott Steinberg, VP of Product Marketing at SCEA, added that the game is the

highest-selling SCEA PS3 title for the first 30 days out of launch.

So yeah they did say it

http://www.joystiq.com/2009/04/09/killzone-2-has-speedy-run-to-500k-sold/

Vote to Localize — SEGA and Konami Polls

Vote Today To Help Get A Konami & SEGA Game Localized.This Will Only Work If Lots Of People Vote.

Click on the Image to Head to the Voting Page (A vote for Yakuza is a vote to save gaming)

itd be so funny to go back in time to some of the fanboy insano threads going on about this destroying this game and that game and laying the 360 and wii to rest

dont get me wrong i like the game a lot, and will buy a ps3 for it sooner or later, but it aint the savior

Last year's game of the year turned out to be Silent Hill : Shattered Memories (online GOTY was COD 6).  This year's GOTY leader to me is Heavy Rain.

Wii Friend Code: 4094-4604-1880-6889

@Pyramid Head

We were hyped for the quality not the sales

Vote to Localize — SEGA and Konami Polls

Vote Today To Help Get A Konami & SEGA Game Localized.This Will Only Work If Lots Of People Vote.

Click on the Image to Head to the Voting Page (A vote for Yakuza is a vote to save gaming)

MaxwellGT2000 said:
Munkeh111 said:
MaxwellGT2000 said:
MrBubbles said:
Munkeh111 said:
MrBubbles said:
they shouldnt have released the demo. the poor controls and aiming turned people off, reducing the sales.

I am sure the reviewers who made it an AAA game agree with that... as does everyone in this thread who remarked how much they enjoyed the game

because just a few posters in this thread negates everyone who didnt purchase it because of the controls...and the people who were upset with their purchases beacuse of it...

I have to agree, different strokes, and I'll debate the quality of KZ2 with anyone :P I'll bring up real issues that very few reviewers or posters bring up and the reply back is always crap about reviews, metacritic, or N4G, it's terrible how people think reviews are the end all be all for games, but if reviews don't seem to reflect their own personal feelings they throw a tantrum like a 5 year old...

Okay, go ahead

Eh?  If that was supposed to mean go ahead and throw a tantrum you failed pretty hard since I'm against taking such things so seriously as most of the video game fans on the internet do :P

No I want to debate the quality of Killzone 2

Around the Network
Munkeh111 said:
MaxwellGT2000 said:
Munkeh111 said:
MaxwellGT2000 said:
MrBubbles said:
Munkeh111 said:
MrBubbles said:
they shouldnt have released the demo. the poor controls and aiming turned people off, reducing the sales.

I am sure the reviewers who made it an AAA game agree with that... as does everyone in this thread who remarked how much they enjoyed the game

because just a few posters in this thread negates everyone who didnt purchase it because of the controls...and the people who were upset with their purchases beacuse of it...

I have to agree, different strokes, and I'll debate the quality of KZ2 with anyone :P I'll bring up real issues that very few reviewers or posters bring up and the reply back is always crap about reviews, metacritic, or N4G, it's terrible how people think reviews are the end all be all for games, but if reviews don't seem to reflect their own personal feelings they throw a tantrum like a 5 year old...

Okay, go ahead

Eh?  If that was supposed to mean go ahead and throw a tantrum you failed pretty hard since I'm against taking such things so seriously as most of the video game fans on the internet do :P

No I want to debate the quality of Killzone 2

Then lets do that outside of this thread which is about KZ2 sales and not KZ2 quality :P

MaxwellGT2000 - "Does the amount of times you beat it count towards how hardcore you are?"

Wii Friend Code - 5882 9717 7391 0918 (PM me if you add me), PSN - MaxwellGT2000, XBL - BlkKniteCecil, MaxwellGT2000

nen-suer said:
@theRepublic

Yeah but am saying that they already made profit

And they don't take half its more like 30%

It did not already make a profit.  You can't just multiply the full price of the game by the amount it has sold to get the amount Sony has made.  Let's use your assumption that Sony makes 30% of the game price.

$60 × 30% = $18

You also assumed that Sony has shipped 2 million copies.

$18 × 2,000,000 = $36,000,000

So profit is:

36,000,000 - 55,000,000 = -19,000,000

By your assumptions, Sony lost $19 million on the game so far.

I personally think that first party games make more than $18 per copy.  Like Munkeh111 said, at $25 per copy, Sony has made $50 million on the game, and is only 5 million short of making a profit.

Switch Code: SW-7377-9189-3397 -- Nintendo Network ID: theRepublic -- Steam ID: theRepublic

Now Playing
Switch - Super Mario Maker 2 (2019)
Switch - The Legend of Zelda: Link's Awakening (2019)
Switch - Bastion (2011/2018)
3DS - Star Fox 64 3D (2011)
3DS - Phoenix Wright: Ace Attorney (Trilogy) (2005/2014)
Wii U - Darksiders: Warmastered Edition (2010/2017)
Mobile - The Simpson's Tapped Out and Yugioh Duel Links
PC - Deep Rock Galactic (2020)

Munkeh111 said:
theRepublic said:
nen-suer said:
theRepublic said:

Although the sales figures are strong by most standards the game is reported to have cost over EUR 40 million to develop.

Wow, that's $55 million in US dollars.

1.60 million X 59$ = 94.4 million is U.S dollars............until now

Also notice that Sony must have shipped close to 2 millions by now to retailers

You know that Sony doesn't get all of that money, right?  First party publishers get somewhere around half of the retail price of a game.

I think it is $20-25, so at $25, assuming they have shipped 2m, they have received $50m so far, so they are going to make back the money, but it is not going to make that much profit

1 question, If Sony only got $25 per copy then the retailers is profiting $35 per copy?

That's a pretty big profit from the retailers IMO.

NoCtiS_NoX said:

1 question, If Sony only got $25 per copy then the retailers is profiting $35 per copy?

That's pretty big profit from the retailers IMO.

No, there's also distributors, taxes and manufacturing of discs/boxes/manuals eating money.

My Mario Kart Wii friend code: 2707-1866-0957

NJ5 said:
NoCtiS_NoX said:

That's pretty big profit from the retailers IMO.

No, there's also distributors, taxes and manufacturing of discs/boxes/manuals eating money.

I see. thanks!