By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Gaming Discussion - E3 Speculation: Could this console gen not end the way some people expect?

Motivating factors come into effect here. Wii was built with the intention of reaching all gamers, new, old, very old, (threw the trolls a bone with this one) Anything Sony or m$ do on this front is just a reaction to the Wii's initial and sustained success, with the sole purpose of trying to get a piece of that Wii pie. This will not end well for them..I'm lookin forward to Malstroms perspective on this...

Bet between Slimbeast and Arius Dion about Wii sales 2009:

If the Wii sells less than 20 million in 2009 (as defined by VGC sales between week ending 3d Jan 2009 to week ending 4th Jan 2010) Slimebeast wins and get to control Arius Dion's sig for 1 month.

If the Wii sells more than 20 million in 2009 (as defined above) Arius Dion wins and gets to control Slimebeast's sig for 1 month.

Around the Network

Yes, Nintendo has been very successful with Wii Fit, more successful than any other perifiel. Guitar Hero and Rock Band are very successful. But when it comes down to it what does it really change? They might as well be any other successful games. Wii Fit has spawned a couple other million sellers that use the board, but it isn't drastically changing the way companies develope for the Wii. You want this not only to be successful but to change the landscape of the XBox360's library. It is not going to happen.

Secondly. If this is really there answer to the Wii then they are missing something that Nintendo showed them. When Mario Kart came out they could have just said "Turn the remote on its side and pretend it is a steering wheel." Any guesses of how many million copies they would have left on the table had they done that? People need to hold something. It gives them a reference point to orient to, it creates a positive interaction between turns in hotswap play, and mostly it gives the developer all sorts of tools-- sound, feedback.... buttons.

Seriously, if Microsoft thinks it can revamp last gen technology to deal with a deficiency this gen I don't have much hope for them.

"You can never jump away from Conclusions. Getting back is not so easy. That's why we're so terribly crowded here."

Canby - The Phantom Tollbooth

Lasped I agree...Also, it feels like its motion just for the sake of motion. Almost like the brainstorming process just looked at "fools waggling a remote" and thought "fools would rather waggle themselves"....not meant to be a sexual pun.

Bet between Slimbeast and Arius Dion about Wii sales 2009:

If the Wii sells less than 20 million in 2009 (as defined by VGC sales between week ending 3d Jan 2009 to week ending 4th Jan 2010) Slimebeast wins and get to control Arius Dion's sig for 1 month.

If the Wii sells more than 20 million in 2009 (as defined above) Arius Dion wins and gets to control Slimebeast's sig for 1 month.

I don't think Microsoft has the developers or capacity for business syngergy to initiate a significant motion-control fight with the Wii this generation.

It took Sony the entire PS1 generation to learn how to make the types of games that were blockbusters on the N64 and improve on them in the PS2 era. Company development philosophies don't just switch at the drop of a dime because they take years to intergrate in the corporate dna.

People are difficult to govern because they have too much knowledge.

When there are more laws, there are more criminals.

- Lao Tzu

TheSource said:

I don't think Microsoft has the developers or capacity for business syngergy to initiate a significant motion-control fight with the Wii this generation.

It took Sony the entire PS1 generation to learn how to make the types of games that were blockbusters on the N64 and improve on them in the PS2 era. Company development philosophies don't just switch at the drop of a dime because they take years to intergrate in the corporate dna.

I agree. You've had this discussion before, however. Remember that back and forth you did with that lady who was playing up the potential of the 360 motion control this gen?

You got a link for that? Good stuff. Very applicable here.

I don't need your console war.
It feeds the rich while it buries the poor.
You're power hungry, spinnin' stories, and bein' graphics whores.
I don't need your console war.

NO NO, NO NO NO.

Around the Network
Legend11 said:

will cause people to see large chinks

That's racism brotha. I took this line right out of your OP.

I took it that way for a split second too (the racist thing).

I didn't know so many people were for this motion movement controller thing, but I was also surprised when xbox avatars came and went easily without much bashing.

There is almost nothing MS and I guess Sony can bash the Wii for, they are going to copy it in some form later but slowly, that's the key - gotta ease in the copying. People won't notice it much.

Good idea. But even if it is far superior to the wii mote i doubt it will matter. The wii is a Cultural Phenomenom and it dosnt matter if something is better because the wii is a status symbol

Long Live SHIO!

Legend11 said:
Cheebee said:
Lol @ thread. :p

I remember people laughing at the Wii...

I remember people loving it too...

People tend to overestimate these technology companies, particularly when it comes to Nintendo. I'm not saying this won't work, but aren't you giving it to them a little early? It's unbelievable, that after two years people aren't willing to give Nintendo any credit whatsoever, they've been working with motion controls for a long time, this is new in MS's hands(no pun intended).

Arius Dion said:
Motivating factors come into effect here. Wii was built with the intention of reaching all gamers, new, old, very old, (threw the trolls a bone with this one) Anything Sony or m$ do on this front is just a reaction to the Wii's initial and sustained success, with the sole purpose of trying to get a piece of that Wii pie. This will not end well for them..I'm lookin forward to Malstroms perspective on this...

I think Malstrom should stay quiet for now.

MS isn't as stupid as people think, they leak this stuff to test the waters.