By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Gaming Discussion - E3 Speculation: Could this console gen not end the way some people expect?

Could this console generation not end the way some people expect?

When people think of Oprah or soccer moms talking about a console the Wii instantly comes to mind.  The words mass appeal and radical new controller are also synonymous with the system.  But what if in a year's time it's not the Wii stealing such headlines but instead a competitor that has one-up Nintendo at its own game?  Laughable you say?  Nothing can challenge the Wii you say?  Well listen up because the ending to this console generation may end up not being the one you currently imagine.

We've been hearing a lot of boasting from Microsoft lately about their upcoming E3 showing and many might think it's all just talk or at best a few new exclusives announced.  But what if the chatter we've been hearing is only for a few small pieces of a much larger puzzle that will begin to be revealed at E3?  What if Microsoft has new weapons that will cause people to see large chinks in the Wii's armor and turn the Wii's perception from that of invincibility to one where Nintendo is under seige and quickly being forced to drop price while scrambling to compete.

The first piece of the puzzle may just be the full body motion sensing technology that is rumored to be forthcoming for Microsoft's Xbox 360.  It could allow a level of immersion undreamed of, even for those that have experienced the Wii Remote.  An example of such technology follows and since Microsoft already has experience using the technology they may be at a point where it's finally ready for the mass market.

Now imagine Microsoft tying this technology in with another piece of the puzzle, Xbox Live.  Using their online infrastructure they could create experiences that are unrivaled.  Imagine Live! Yoga in which people could take part in Yoga classes with their friends from the comfort of their own homes.  Add in special Xbox Live events with renown Yoga instructors and celebrities and it would raise the experience even further. 

Even more games are obvious including Live! Bowling in which leagues of players from across the country or even the World compete.  Or play Live! Golf at some of the most exclusive and renown courses in the World.  There would also be Live! Jogging in which the most exotic cities and beaches are streamed to your screen.  All this with motion sensing technology that records your movements in a way that current Wii technology simply can't.

Of course such ambitions plans may be years away or may never materialize at all.  Even if Microsoft it not thinking on such a grand scale new technology on their part could still cause a stir in the industry that hasn't been seen since the introduction of the Wii.  With E3 only weeks away it'll be interesting to watch Microsoft's presentation on June 1st and see if their presentation actually lives up to their hype.

-Legend11

Around the Network

Live Yoga...Your so crazy......

Looks cool but can the 360 handle it.

Now that looks bad ass,no controller ftw! Unless its shooting games.

The distance between my hands represents the speed that I'm gonna get.

Fail...

My Mario Kart Wii friend code: 2707-1866-0957

Around the Network

Lol @ thread. :p

Nintendo Network ID: Cheebee   3DS Code: 2320 - 6113 - 9046

Cheebee said:
Lol @ thread. :p

I remember people laughing at the Wii...

There is a flaw in your plan that makes it not viable for this generation; there are already 30 million Xbox 360s out there that wont have this control, and if it comes out this gen, probably 40 mil by the time the MicroZCAM arrives.

However, what you outlined in there about the Live! appeal and having literal classes like that over LIVE...is a fantastic idea for this kind of tech. Next gen will be one HELLUVA ride if this kind of tech is introduced into the new Xbox, but this gen...All I'm gonna say is, Airplane and flight sim games are going to be much, much larger then they are this gen, next gen.

GOTY Contestants this year: Dead Space 2, Dark Souls, Tales of Graces f. Everything else can suck it.

@Legend11: But really, this looks like a gimmick. On the Wii you can always resort to buttons for things which motion controls don't do well. Using the "distance between hands" to control a totally unrelated aspect is retarded.

My Mario Kart Wii friend code: 2707-1866-0957

Garnett said:
Now that looks bad ass,no controller ftw! Unless its shooting games.

True there would be problems with many games but I can imagine some hardcore games working with it.  People used to think a Wii Remote lightsaber game would be a killer app, but imagine if instead this technology is used.  A device that far more closely resembles a lightsaber could easily be tracked.  I'm sure as developers worked with it they could make it do some pretty amazing things.