By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Gaming Discussion - E3 Speculation: Could this console gen not end the way some people expect?

NJ5 said:
@Legend11: But really, this looks like a gimmick. On the Wii you can always resort to buttons for things which motion controls don't do well. Using the "distance between hands" to control a totally unrelated aspect is retarded.

This I found kind of odd, too, but by that logic, buttons themselves are gimmicks. Gestures are simply taking the place of buttons.

Would probably just have to get used to it, like the Wiimote...the learning curve would be awful, as there would be one just to learn CONTROLS for every game.

GOTY Contestants this year: Dead Space 2, Dark Souls, Tales of Graces f. Everything else can suck it.

Around the Network
NJ5 said:
The distance between my hands represents the speed that I'm gonna get.

Fail...

Yeah seriously.

I love the idea, but this is what happens when you get brilliant technical geniuses trying to make something fun.  Amazing tech, horrible application.  That's the dumbest speed control I've ever heard of.  It should at least be some sort of spaceship or robot or something instead of a realistic human car.  If I want to steer a realistic human car I want to use a steering wheel controller, like the one on the Wii.

I bet it can be used very well in a couple years, but I highly doubt it will be a gamechanger within the current generation.

I love the way he says "Whooooa!" like he's having the most boring time of his life.

Gesturetek ,nice.

Dude this is never gonna be really huge. Wii was built, from the ground up, around the idea of motion controls, simplicity and ease of use, to attract everyone. The Wiimote was originally planned as a GameCube add-on, but instead saved for the next console, the Wii. The whole point of Wii is that it's easy for anyone to pick up and play, to be intuitive and fun, and that has from the very beginning been the case.

This idea, if it ever comes to fruition, is merely gonna be an add-on for 360. It won't get full support from developers, much like the sixaxis, and won't be implemented in every game. My guess is that at best, it's gonna be the 360's Eye Toy.

Nintendo Network ID: Cheebee   3DS Code: 2320 - 6113 - 9046

Shadowblind said:

There is a flaw in your plan that makes it not viable for this generation; there are already 30 million Xbox 360s out there that wont have this control, and if it comes out this gen, probably 40 mil by the time the MicroZCAM arrives.

However, what you outlined in there about the Live! appeal and having literal classes like that over LIVE...is a fantastic idea for this kind of tech. Next gen will be one HELLUVA ride if this kind of tech is introduced into the new Xbox, but this gen...All I'm gonna say is, Airplane and flight sim games are going to be much, much larger then they are this gen, next gen.

Look at Wii Fit.  If anything it shows that it might not matter if every system comes with a peripheral in order for it to be a major success.

Around the Network
Shadowblind said:
NJ5 said:
@Legend11: But really, this looks like a gimmick. On the Wii you can always resort to buttons for things which motion controls don't do well. Using the "distance between hands" to control a totally unrelated aspect is retarded.

This I found kind of odd, too, but by that logic, buttons themselves are gimmicks. Gestures are simply taking the place of buttons.

Would probably just have to get used to it, like the Wiimote...the learning curve would be awful, as there would be one just to learn CONTROLS for every game.

There are certain things which are simply well suited for buttons, like... a fire button, or accelerating/braking in a racing game. Some Wii games exaggerate with the motion controls and people don't like it.

The problem is not just the learning curve. It's that you'll have to keep your hands at a specific distance which can get tiring, and will probably stop working if you get excited at some point in the game... That and we could all see how "well" the demo in the video went.

My Mario Kart Wii friend code: 2707-1866-0957

You're such a dreamer Legend11. Now u got my hopes up for MS going to reveal something revolutionizing at E3.

Cheebee said:
Dude this is never gonna be really huge. Wii was built, from the ground up, around the idea of motion controls, simplicity and ease of use, to attract everyone. The Wiimote was originally planned as a GameCube add-on, but instead saved for the next console, the Wii. The whole point of Wii is that it's easy for anyone to pick up and play, to be intuitive and fun, and that has from the very beginning been the case.

This idea, if it ever comes to fruition, is merely gonna be an add-on for 360. It won't get full support from developers, much like the sixaxis, and won't be implemented in every game. My guess is that at best, it's gonna be the 360's Eye Toy.

I don't really see how this would be any harder for anyone to pick up and play than the Wii Remote.  How hard would it be for someone to pick up bowling for example when you would basically use the exact same motions you do when you're playing it in real life?

I don't see it working out for this gen. Seems... too late....

4 ≈ One

Whether or not such technology is revealed at e3, it does have a great amount of potential. Very interesting concept