By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Sony Discussion - Sony: PS3 Will Dominate (In 3~5 Years)

LMFAO! You go Sony. Go win that generation after its over.

Around the Network
Rpruett said:
nightsurge said:
Rpruett said:
Dodece said:
To put this into context he is saying that Sony will win this generation after it is over. How fucking pathetic is that to win after the contest is decided. After the competition has retired their old machines, and replaced them with newer models that are ten times more powerful then your machine. Which your not going to have the decency to put out of its misery.

Why do people KEEP saying this?   Console generations 'competitions' keep going AS LONG AS THE PRODUCTS REMAIN SOLD.  I mean why wouldn't they?   We don't discount the 360's first year because it was before Wii and PS3.  If Sony were to somehow pull a magical rabbit out of their ass and outsell the Wii by 2012/2014.....They have won the generation.

According to Sony the generation didn't start till they joined it

Although, your point only works if all current gen systems are still being sold alongside the PS3 during that time frame.  What we are all saying is that within 5 years, the Wii and 360 will likely be discontinued so there really isn't any merit in "winning" if the PS3 reaches higher lifetime sales after that point.

No, the point doesn't only work if all the systems are still being sold alongside it.  It works as long as a product is being consumed and purchased on the market.  The only reason these sales matter anyways is for the bottom lines of the respective companies.

So Last generation still has not ended then?  Interesting.  In terms of profits for the company, sure no big deal, but the "gen" is over.  It ends the day all the new consoles for the next gen are released.

I understand that but if the PS3 can still be sold on the market within 5 years and it so happens to fly off the shelves and outsell the 360/Wii.....Why doesn't that count?   Again any money made is going to go towards the games and the system and whatever else.

It counts for money to the company, but it does not count as "winning" the generation since that has long ended.

I'd agree that Sony shouldn't walk around and strut their shoulders if that's how they had to win,  but winning is winning. 

I don't think you can win if the race is already over.  That's like saying that you ran a race with two other people, and they both finished 3 minutes ahead of you, but you finished the race and took an extra 10 meter jog so you win?  Doesn't work that way.  They get more sales, and more profits after the generation is over, but the gen ends when the new consoles are released and you can't count it as "winning" the gen anymore.

Having more sales than your competitor is one of the primary focuses for each company.  Having more sales and getting the format you wanted out on the market?   Double win for them in their eyes.

I'll say this another way.  If someway Sony found a way to forego technology and the PS3 could be scaled to become a 20 year product (And this was some of the initial cost that they put into the product).   And the PS3 sold for the next 20 years?  It would win the console generation because it designed a product with the most actual / market longevity.

Yeah if Sony never releases another console for the next 17 years, I'll give them this generations "win", but that is never going to happen.

Mirson said:
LMFAO! You go Sony. Go win that generation after its over.

If they can get a profit for every console and game, and keep their name in people's minds.... why would they not?

@ nightsurge.
You maybe just contradicted yourself...
You said "It ends the day all the new consoles for the next gen are released."
Then after that you said..."but it does not count as "winning" the generation since that has long ended."
Wouldnt that mean, that if PS3 is still SONYs only console on the market, the gen is still going, and PS3 would have infact won?

Carl2291 said:
@ nightsurge.
You maybe just contradicted yourself...
You said "It ends the day all the new consoles for the next gen are released."
Then after that you said..."but it does not count as "winning" the generation since that has long ended."
Wouldnt that mean, that if PS3 is still SONYs only console on the market, the gen is still going, and PS3 would have infact won?

I believe I stated that if Sony does not release a new console, I'd give them the win... although, if that was the case, I'd split the sales into two generations since the console competes in both.  You can't exactly count the sales in both generations, so Sony would either lose the new generation, win the old one, or split the sales from the date of the other console releases and see where that leaves them.

I didn't really contradict myself since I didn't say that the PS3 would be Sony's "next gen" console as well as "this gen".

Around the Network

Ahhhhh i see.
I wasnt too sure thats why i said "maybe"

I agree
And i also agree with everything in BHR's sig

Carl2291 said:
Ahhhhh i see.
I wasnt too sure thats why i said "maybe"

Tis cool, mate.

And guess how many people bought a Gamecube last year? Oh Sony...

TheSteve said:
forevercloud3000 said:
Carl2291 said:
forevercloud3000 said:
why do people give Sony so much grief when they are simply doing what they do best.

What will it matter if the other two consoles drop out with their newer models in 3-5 years? It only means that the PS3 can survive this gen as well as going into next gen. At the moment the PS3 is the most powerful gaming console to date. By the time the next Wii and xbox come out they will have more comparable, if not better hardware. This will put the PS3 at a technological disadvantage but a userbase advantage over the competition. Does this not sound familiar to any of you? PS2 vs Gamecube and XBOX much? THe PS3 will have a lower price tag then both next gen consoles and still be comparable, enough for people to start picking it up like the PS2 or Wii.

Sounds like the perfect plan to me. Create a system that can survive two console gens by making it BEFORE it's time. This will assure their 10 year plan as well as keep them profitable.

Great post. I agree 100%

Thx! At least one other person has some rationality in this thread. ^_^

And I also believe that when the next gen consoles release in the next few years the PS3 might still have a very strong edge on them. If you remember, Sony has sealed off one of the cell processors in the system, that no one knows what it is even for. I am thinking this is a fail safe, to assure their system is not TOO FAR behind the next set. The current gen console makers can barely handle the amount of cells they have access too. They must of thought it best to wait it out to unleash that one.

BluRay and the Cell will keep Playstation ahead.

LOL

Yes, the dreaded "secret weapon extra cell"...  On April 30th, 2014, deep inside Sony HQ, they will hit the button that releases the PS3's FULL potential!!!

MU HAHAHAHAH HA HA HA HA!!!

No that is the date Perfect Cell will be released.

Love the product, not the company. They love your money, not you.

-TheRealMafoo