By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Sales Discussion - Will the wii eventually outsell the PS2?

Actually this just came to me. There are many more gamers in the market now than when the PS2 started. Many of them are younger gamers and prefer the system set out for the younger generation which is definately a great selling point for the Wii. At the rate it is going at it could very well outsell the PS2 although i will always be loyal to my lovely PS2, it prob won't hold its title for much longer

Around the Network

Iwata has publicly stated that it will. Iwata does not tend to boast or get cocky. He's also demonstrated a remarkable ability to read the market.

I'm betting with Iwata, because I like being right.

Falcon095 said:
Honkeytonk Monkey said:

It already is and has been since launch

http://vgchartz.com/hwlaunch.php?cons1=Wii®1=All&cons2=PS2®2=All&cons3=®3=All&weeks=156

If the PS3 already outsold the Xbox 360, i don't see wouldn't this be correct.

Comparing hardware from launch, the PS3 is outselling the X360 and has been since the PS3's second holiday season.

Looking at the graph of Wii vs PS2 the Wii is shooting up at a much higher rate than the PS2 was and does not show any real signs of stopping anytime soon.

Looking at the PS3 vs X360 charts from launch, the PS3 is tapering off while the X360 is in an upswing. Eventually even from launch the X360 might end up with better sales than the PS3.

Honkeytonk Monkey said:
Falcon095 said:
Honkeytonk Monkey said:

It already is and has been since launch

http://vgchartz.com/hwlaunch.php?cons1=Wii®1=All&cons2=PS2®2=All&cons3=®3=All&weeks=156

If the PS3 already outsold the Xbox 360, i don't see wouldn't this be correct.

Comparing hardware from launch, the PS3 is outselling the X360 and has been since the PS3's second holiday season.

Looking at the graph of Wii vs PS2 the Wii is shooting up at a much higher rate than the PS2 was and does not show any real signs of stopping anytime soon.

Looking at the PS3 vs X360 charts from launch, the PS3 is tapering off while the X360 is in an upswing. Eventually even from launch the X360 might end up with better sales than the PS3.

Yeah, i get your point. My statement was aimed for the PS3 fanboys that like to say that the PS3 already outsold the X360 (they obviously won't show up here) . You should go to that thread and post what you just said

||Tag courtesy of fkusumot - "Heaven is like a Nintendo theme park!"||Join the Medal of Honor: Heroes 2 American League HERE!||

Dont think so. The Wii is the reason the PS2 is still here this gen. Nothings gonna help the Wii stay as long as PS2 so I doubt it.

Around the Network

I think it's too early to tell since the wii is only a few years into its life span. I'd think we'd have a better guess in a year or two, but I don't think it will end up passing the ps2 since I don't feel that it will be out as long as the ps2 has been.

It will definitely outsell it and in record time. I believe the Wii will last at least 9 years, and will see an important redesign, and after it does it'll break the PS2.

Eventually, yes. It's inevitable. Selling faster than the PS2 ever did, without a price cut.

Don't think it'll top the DS, though.

(Former) Lead Moderator and (Eternal) VGC Detective

its too hard to say, i mean from launch wii is out selling psp in japan, but i dont think wii will ever catch up to psp there. although i never thought the wii couls sell this great so who knows.

Nope widespread adoption of HDTV will kill it before that happens.

PROUD MEMBER OF THE PSP RPG FAN CLUB