By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Sales Discussion - Will the wii eventually outsell the PS2?

mai said:

@BHR-3

Look at April 2008 Wii release shedule ;) Should I explain more?

thats to bad they should of spread things out more the reason y im stressing this is b/c i made a thread back in JAN 09 stating that the wii will sell less from jan-june in 09 then it did in 08 i got bashed hard in that thread i was the only 1 who said it would looking at the current trend come in of june i should be victorious with that prediction

of  course currently the wii is going to be shown higher than in 08 it had supply promblems the first few months of 08 Y  couldn the wii match its 08 release schedule?

Play Me

Around the Network

will it be sad if the wii does? mind you, i never had a ps2 but i know about how is one of the best consoles ever and has so MANY great games i wish i had played. now my question is how sad would it be the wii outselling the ps2 which manage those sales cause of an incredible software lineup and it was popular back then. the wii would had manage those sales based on hype alone and aa bunch of bad casuals games. eeryone remebers the ps2 and their games. the wii will never be remeber for games just for being a phenomenon. cause really besides mario galaxy the wii has no classic games.

Putting the Box back in Ninlen!

I'm not sure what to predict...we'll see

"Dr. Tenma, according to you, lives are equal. That's why I live today. But you must have realised it by now...the only thing people are equal in is death"---Johann Liebert (MONSTER)

"WAR is a racket. It always has been.

It is possibly the oldest, easily the most profitable, surely the most vicious. It is the only one international in scope. It is the only one in which the profits are reckoned in dollars and the losses in lives"---Maj. Gen. Smedley Butler

thornstrom said:

Yes, Iwata has demonstrated a remarkable ability to read the market with the Wii and DS, but NOT with the GameCube. Maybe he's getting better at it :)

Darc Requiem already said most of what I was going to say (Gamecube was Yamauchi, not Iwata. The DS was Iwata's first individual brain child). I would add, however, that the we've been getting snippets telling us that the Gamecube was, in many ways, a laboratory for the Wii (by design).

If the items I'm referring to aren't simply revisionist history, it appears that Nintendo was already considering going in an entirely new direction even before they launched the Gamecube, with that system being part testing-ground, part stopgag. Mind you, it was still a test/stopgag that performed much more weakly than Nintendo had thought it would, but the idea that gaming needed to change was already planted.

I'm not sure how interested you are in my completing this mini-lecture, or if I should just cut this off here and now, so I'll stop. Let me know if you want me to continue.

Some months ago i thought it would be quite possible, but now the wii is going down and down, hope the games in june help it.

Around the Network
Ninlenbox said:
will it be sad if the wii does? mind you, i never had a ps2 but i know about how is one of the best consoles ever and has so MANY great games i wish i had played. now my question is how sad would it be the wii outselling the ps2 which manage those sales cause of an incredible software lineup and it was popular back then. the wii would had manage those sales based on hype alone and aa bunch of bad casuals games. eeryone remebers the ps2 and their games. the wii will never be remeber for games just for being a phenomenon. cause really besides mario galaxy the wii has no classic games.

Wii outselling PS2 with just less than 50% market share of this gen would be very good also for competitors, it would mean that all three, even the 3rd, would get impressive sales, everybody would have something to be happy and nobody would get hurt. In such case the only risk would be having all them sitting on their laurels and a dull 8th gen   But MS hunger for power will prevent this worst case to happen, everybody will have to stand on the alert and get ready to fight.

Stwike him, Centuwion. Stwike him vewy wuffly! (Pontius Pilate, "Life of Brian")
A fart without stink is like a sky without stars.
TGS, Third Grade Shooter: brand new genre invented by Kevin Butler exclusively for Natal WiiToo Kinect. PEW! PEW-PEW-PEW! 

BHR-3 said:
mai said:

@BHR-3

thats to bad they should of spread things out more the reason y im stressing this is b/c i made a thread back in JAN 09 stating that the wii will sell less from jan-june in 09 then it did in 08 i got bashed hard in that thread i was the only 1 who said it would looking at the current trend come in of june i should be victorious with that prediction

of  course currently the wii is going to be shown higher than in 08 it had supply promblems the first few months of 08 Y  couldn the wii match its 08 release schedule?

Anyone who doesn't believe you that the Wii is selling less then last year only needs to walk into almost any retailer.  This time last year you couldn't find a Wii on the shelf unless you had perfect timing. Now all you need to do is walk in and the stores literally have stacks of them like the PS3 and 360.

The Wii could pass the PS1 if Nintendo keep the Wii out longer and keep bringing great games. The Wii will not past the PS2. When the PS2 was out for 3 years it sold over 60 million and the Wii is doing 50 million on its 3 years out.

I think the Wii will end in the 70-75 million sold range for the fact that it don't have the type of games that the PS1 and PS2 had however I do believe the Wii will be the best selling console for Nintendo.

C_Hollomon said:
The Wii could pass the PS1 if Nintendo keep the Wii out longer and keep bringing great games. The Wii will not past the PS2. When the PS2 was out for 3 years it sold over 60 million and the Wii is doing 50 million on its 3 years out.

Incorrect.

http://vgchartz.com/hwlaunch.php?cons1=Wii&reg1=All&cons2=PS2&reg2=All&cons3=X360&reg3=All&weeks=156

morpheusx said:
BHR-3 said:
mai said:

@BHR-3

Anyone who doesn't believe you that the Wii is selling less then last year only needs to walk into almost any retailer.  This time last year you couldn't find a Wii on the shelf unless you had perfect timing. Now all you need to do is walk in and the stores literally have stacks of them like the PS3 and 360.

You might be partially correct , but i'm pretty sure that the reason of that is mostly because of the incresed production rather than the low sales. If low sales were the case then you would see lower sales, not bigger.

||Tag courtesy of fkusumot - "Heaven is like a Nintendo theme park!"||Join the Medal of Honor: Heroes 2 American League HERE!||