By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Sales Discussion - Will the wii eventually outsell the PS2?

Discuss.

I think the wii will certainly outsell the ps1 but the ps2 may be close.

Around the Network

It already is and has been since launch

http://vgchartz.com/hwlaunch.php?cons1=Wii&reg1=All&cons2=PS2&reg2=All&cons3=&reg3=All&weeks=156

You bet ^^

if it keeps up how its doing and considering that most likely this generation will sell much more than the last generation, even with the other two consoles doing much better than the two loosers last generation the Wii should be able to beat the PS2, i suspect atleast 150million sales if not 175+

Currently dreaming of: DKC4 or Sonic the Hedgehog 4 (classic 2D platformers) for WiiWare, Smash Bros. for DSi, New Super Mario World for DSi, a Wii remake or true sequel of Final Fantasy Tactics.

One down, hopefully more awesomeness to come.

current trends point to yes

come play minecraft @  mcg.hansrotech.com

minecraft name: hansrotec

XBL name: Goddog

Around the Network
Honkeytonk Monkey said:

It already is and has been since launch

http://vgchartz.com/hwlaunch.php?cons1=Wii&reg1=All&cons2=PS2&reg2=All&cons3=&reg3=All&weeks=156

If the PS3 already outsold the Xbox 360, i don't see wouldn't this be correct.

||Tag courtesy of fkusumot - "Heaven is like a Nintendo theme park!"||Join the Medal of Honor: Heroes 2 American League HERE!||

If not WW3 or global catastrophe it's a given, even Great Depression won't prevent that from happening.

Well if it does it better be by 12/12/2012 cause thats when the world is supposed to end according to the Aztecs

Too early to say for Wii.

Even if Wii has already peaked, the peak was higher than the PS2 peak...without a price cut for Wii...while PS2 had a price cut. So if Nintendo supports it, and corrects the situation in Japan somewhat its more than possible...its probable.

Wii is trending faster than DS, and DS is ahead of PS1 in real time (as of April 30) and still on pace to top 30m a year. PS2 shipments were officially at 136.3m according to SCEE as of December 2008, and probably stand at 137.5m through March 2009 (we'll know the exact figure May 14).

PS2 shipments will be say at 143m by March 2010, DS at maybe 135m over the same period.

So by September 2010, DS and PS2 could be at 145m or something. By that time DS will be 5 years and 10 months old, while PS2 will be 10 years and 6 months old. Wii could theoretically hit those figures at about 5 years with the way it is selling.

We'll probably get a good idea on May 7 when Nintendo announces it financial year projections. If they put Wii at 20m for the March 2010 year then something has gone very wrong, but if its flat or higher than FY 2009 (25m+) Wii has at least a 40% chance of topping PS2 as far as I'm concerned.

With a world wide launch at about the same time, 20m a year used to mean 8/8/4 between Americas, Others, Japan. Because of the DS though, we know that 10/12/8 is possible between the three regions. If DS can sell 8m in Japan in a single year, ~15m-20m for Others/Americas should be the limit to look for. 20/20/8 in a single year isn't going to happen this generation for a single machine, but its probably possible within 10 years for a portable, and with a price cut and some more big titles I don't think it'd be impossible for Wii to do 15/15/3 for a a year or two.

People are difficult to govern because they have too much knowledge.

When there are more laws, there are more criminals.

- Lao Tzu

I think No as much as I love Nintendo I dont think it will happen the Trend will end.

*Al Bundy's My Hero*

*Al Bundy For President*

Waiting On GT7!!!

PSN ID: Acidfacekiller