By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Sony Discussion - I think I may be the only person that hates Little Big Planet

It's not my kind of game either.

Around the Network
insomniac17 said:
I have a story to share.

One of my friends that I haven't seen in over a year came over to my house. He hadn't played LBP, so I forced him to try it. At first, he didn't understand what the point of the game was, and thought it was just weird (like Linger in Shadows that I'd shown him right before that). He got into it once I showed him all the stuff you can do, and we had a lot of fun making random rocket powered cars and killing each other with them. =D

So, it isn't for everyone, but I think that it does take a bit of time for some people to like it. Also, LBP is best played with friends. ^_^

That's the thing I hate most about people who don't own the game. They always say "what's the point?" Everyone here at my house does it. I then have but to ask "What's the point of Mario?" or "What's the point of Sonic?" It's all platforming, but because the Sackboy isn't those iconic figures, the game is lowered. Not to mention the fact that for most people nowadays, if something isn't getting shot, or a ball isn't going into a goal, then the game must suck.

And the fact that Sackboy isn't an iconic figure.....and LBP is full of color instead of the usual gray/brown, it's a "kid's game". I then ask "do you think a 5 year old could've made that Contra remake?"

People these days /sighs

The problem I have with this game is not with the creation, multiplayer or community aspects, but with the basic gameplay itself. The floaty controls and lack of variety in character abilities really reduced the appeal to me.

It's very rare that I trade in a game, but this was one of those instances.

Hates Nomura.

Tagged: GooseGaws - <--- Has better taste in games than you.

GooseGaws said:
The problem I have with this game is not with the creation, multiplayer or community aspects, but with the basic gameplay itself. The floaty controls and lack of variety in character abilities really reduced the appeal to me.

Indeed. The platforming, which is the core element of the game, somehow doesn't "feel right." At one point in the game, it's starting to get frustrating to get all the objects and stickers because your Sackboy sometimes doesn't want to jump after landing, or you thought he hit the ground, and then you fall on spikes and other stuff like that.

I mean, I know I don't usually suck this bad in a platformer! xD

Random game thought :
Why is Bionic Commando Rearmed 2 getting so much hate? We finally get a real game and they're not even satisfied... I'm starting to hate the gaming community so f****** much...

Watch my insane gameplay videos on my YouTube page!

SHMUPGurus said:
GooseGaws said:

Indeed. The platforming, which is the core element of the game, somehow doesn't "feel right." At one point in the game, it's starting to get frustrating to get all the objects and stickers because your Sackboy sometimes doesn't want to jump after landing, or you thought he hit the ground, and then you fall on spikes and other stuff like that.

I mean, I know I don't usually suck this bad in a platformer! xD

Right, exactly.  It all feels a bit imprecise, and when you're used to razor-sharp accuracy, it's very off-putting.

Hates Nomura.

Around the Network
GooseGaws said:

I actually worried that the game would simply lack gameplay variety as I played through the main game as well, but I have to say, if you played lunar lander and other vehicle levels which totally change the gameplay, the multiplayer arena games people have made, the shoot 'em up levels, the stealth-platoformer levels, the extremely varied survival challenges, and the insane puzzle games people have made, you'd find it harder to say that.  Most of these genres within LBP make up some of the highest rated levels in the game, so they aren't very easy to miss.  Of course, a lot of them have only been made or introduced into the game in the past 3 months, so that might be the reason my perception is so different -- I only got the game in December.

The floaty controls are definitely a taste thing though, and are bound to turn some people off, just as faster paced, higher gravity gameplay when combined with the same physics would probably alienate a lot of less experienced platform gamers.  Maybe they'll add in a gravity slider in level creation.  The updates they're doing this month are the biggest since they released the MGS pack, so it seems like they're pretty serious about keeping things fresh.  I can say that the controls can be mastered, though, and they're actually not as hard as many more challenging platformers once you start to watch out for the momentum and direction affecting you before you jump, which is a bigger deal in LBP than most games.  If the controls couldn't be mastered, there wouldn't be so many people who have aced every level in the main game. 

The three levels of depth are definitely the game's biggest flaw to me.  It's not a perfect game, but in the end I do think the gameplay quite strong, and it's more about exploring, puzzles, and unique multiplayer than it is about hardcore mario-style platforming.  In a way, this makes a lot of sense for a game with such an emphasis on player creation -- it's a lot easier to come up with mind blowing puzzles or crazy looking worlds than it is to create a platforming level as well balanced as something out of the original SMB, after all.  Expecting players to design levels with that degree of precision probably would have led to failure.

That's kind of the problem for me... I played many user-created levels online, some of them definitely amazing, but no matter how you dress it up the basic gameplay was still lacking. It felt more like walking through an art museum, checking out all the exhibits of what people could make, rather than actually having fun playing a game.

Hates Nomura.

@OP

Nah, you're not the only one. I'm no fan either.

I played it, borrowed it from my friend... it really wasn't the great game everyone hyped it up to be... and I thought sharing this opinion would have got me shot in December. It ididn't seem that great of platformer compared to other games, and I am not the creative type to actually create something.

NinjaKido said:
X-Box 360 gamertag (Tick)
Anti PS3 thread (Tick)
Will I respond with anything else than a list (Cross)

You forgot to check my gaming library man. Check it out son before accusing me of being a fanboy.

Not a 360 fanboy, just a PS3 fanboy hater that likes putting them in their place ^.^