By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Sales Discussion - Worldwide Wii sales are now only 4 million behind Xbox360 - closing the gap

euclid said: Who knows if nintendo would do such a thing (hold a finished game until they needed more momentum/system sellers). What do you guys think?
They wouldn't hesitate for a second. All three console makers hold games all the time I'm sure.

"[Our former customers] are unable to find software which they WANT to play."
"The way to solve this problem lies in how to communicate what kind of games [they CAN play]."

Satoru Iwata, Nintendo President. Only slightly paraphrased.

Around the Network

I just wanna say this really quick. MP:Hunters seemed rather complete from what they were saying before DS launch. It took damn near a year for it to finally come out. I think it wasnt done, and they built a demo off what they had done. ;)

PSN ID: Kwaad

I fly this flag in victory!

Kwaad said: I just wanna say this really quick. MP:Hunters seemed rather complete from what they were saying before DS launch. It took damn near a year for it to finally come out. I think it wasnt done, and they built a demo off what they had done. ;)
Well I think everybody knew it wasn't near completion...hence the demo to hold off fans and spread the word about the game before it came out.

LEFT4DEAD411.COM
Bet with disolitude: Left4Dead will have a higher Metacritic rating than Project Origin, 3 months after the second game's release.  (hasn't been 3 months but it looks like I won :-p )

Freaky. I'm on gamestop's newsletter (occasionally they offer something I want) and this was near the top of their "Best Sellers List". http://www.gamestop.com/search.asp?N=138+83&affid=3000&mc_id=0313nl

Nobody is crazy enough to accuse me of being sane.

Those bundles look cool until you do some basic math... Wii = $250 Four games = roughly $200 Extra wiimote+nunchuck = $60 Mem card = I have no idea whatsoever $250+$200+$60+somewhere between $20 and $40 = somewhere between $530 and $550 It's probably worth exactly the $534.92 that they're charging. Since it's only by mail, you've gotta add the shipping fee, too, and it says they're going to tag an extra $10 to that. So the final price is between $548 and $555. You're not saving any money whatsoever... which I always thought was the point of a bundle... in fact, adding shipping, you're probably losing money. And since this doesn't ship internationally, it's no good to me anyway. Gah, don't mind my complaining... I'm just bitter. (I want a Wii!)

Around the Network

so the ps3 with four extra games and a second controller cost about 900 euro ? *panic*

The SD card shown is 40 dollars if I'm not mistaken but I found 1GB SD Cards at Walmart for 19.99.

Nintendo: We're still struggling to meet demand for Wii http://www.gamesindustry.biz/content_page.php?aid=23520

"It's astonishing to think that with six million we're not able to fulfil the initial demand," Fischer said.

Nobody is crazy enough to accuse me of being sane.

Someone copy and paste the link my computer won't open it. Please thank you.

johnlucas said: Stromprophet said: But I'd say at most it may outpace the 360 by 400k, which would put us about 10 months from now. However, if Halo comes out in the fall all bets are off and 360 might win the Holidays in the US. Super Mario Galaxy alone will not let Halo 3 make 360 the Holiday season winner. XBox 360 WILL have an impressive showing this year no doubt but to say holiday winner? I don't think so. Only if Super Mario Galaxy is pushed back to 2008 can Halo 3 put XBox 360 ahead. But somehow I just don't see that happening. I think they will keep their word on this release date for once. Then again maybe SMG may be supplanted by Super Smash Bros. Brawl which if released in its place may do similar if not more damage to the competition. We gotta see how Nintendo delivers that online play experience. If it's as well-executed as I'm thinking it will be, throw in the towel right now it's over. That ain't counting the supporting cast of Wii titles that'll move that system. Guitar Hero II will be a system mover for 360 alone and that's coming in a few weeks. The supporters of the Wii60 regime will be very happy regardless of what happens either way. The PS3 faithful will be the ones having to worry if these other systems start layin' the smack down like they're seeming to be able to do. Oh don't forget Metroid Prime 3 in June. Good God! Will summer droughts be a thing of the past now? John Lucas
Where have you been the last 5 years? Halo is a massive US title. Mario is not anymore. Paper Mario was pretty successful, but compared to Halo? Just check the software shipments, it's Halo hands down in the US. Super Mario Sunshine sold 5.8 million copies worldwide. World wide Halo sold 6.43, and Halo 2 sold 7.89. But consider that 11 million of those total sales were in the US. Halo simply dominates in the US, much like GTA does. I'm not even a 360 fan that much, but I think you're delusional to think Smash Bros and Mario could challenge the combo of GTA and Halo 3, you're living in the 80s, 90s still when mario titles sold into the 10 million range, but they just don't anymore. You're also acting like PS3 won't have any titles coming out. It's very likely Killzone 2, MGS4, FFXIII, GT5, Lair, Heavenly Sword are out before the Holidays. Well, maybe FFXIII and GT5 miss the holidays, but that would be one strong Q1 2008 if they do. You're also not considering the fact that PS3 is getting supplemental sales as a Blu-ray player. Or the fact the M$ has said they will price drop the 360 this year, probably in the fall I think, which will be stiff competition to the Wii because they can't price drop proportionally. i.e. likely drop 250 --> 200, 360 400 --> 300, one is a 20% drop the other 33% drop. Also *if* 360 price drops you can bet Sony will price drop simply because they won't have a choice. Remember, PS2 price drop May 2002, Xbox price dropped merely 6 months after release because they had to.