By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Sales Discussion - Worldwide Wii sales are now only 4 million behind Xbox360 - closing the gap

GTA IV is way more important between Playstation gamers that between Xbox ones .That game will probably move more PS3 than X360 .

Around the Network

You do know the 3rd best selling game of the year for 2006 in North America was none other than a Mario game, right? New Super Mario Brothers has sold 2.4m in its first 9 months. Halo 1 sold 1.5m in its first 9 months.

It is better to remain silent and be thought a fool than to open one's mouth and remove all doubt. -Mark Twain

2004 Lincoln LSV8 - ~$15,000

K&N Cold Air Intake - $300

Handheld ECU Reprogrammer - $400

The look on a ricer's face when they get their ass beat off the line by a Lincoln - Priceless

Strom, I think John meant that Mario and Samsh Bros. will sell more Wii's than Halo and GTA will sell 360's, in that case then yeah Mario and Smash Bros. beats Halo and GTA. Another thing this is Halo's third game this is Mario ??(I don't know) point being a series that has that many games with the same person still sell 5.8 million is really good but who knows how Master Cheif will sell in 20 years? It'll be a while before we find out.

For Super Mario Sunshine being as crappy as it was, I'm impressed that it sold 5.8 million compared to Halo's 6.43 million. That's not that big of a difference, and Super Mario Galaxy looks to be much better than Sunshine. I'd bet that out of the 8 million or whatever Wii owners there will be at its release, nearly all of them are going to get this game.

LEFT4DEAD411.COM
Bet with disolitude: Left4Dead will have a higher Metacritic rating than Project Origin, 3 months after the second game's release.  (hasn't been 3 months but it looks like I won :-p )

DAmnit, why do I feel like the only one in the world who loved Mario Sunshine?!?!?

Nobody is crazy enough to accuse me of being sane.

Around the Network

Diomedes1976 said:GTA IV is way more important between Playstation gamers that between Xbox ones .That game will probably move more PS3 than X360 .
Why? If people are sitting on the fence than this may very well put them over.

Leo-j said: If a dvd for a pc game holds what? Crysis at 3000p or something, why in the world cant a blu-ray disc do the same?

ssj12 said: Player specific decoders are nothing more than specialized GPUs. Gran Turismo is the trust driving simulator of them all. 

"Why do they call it the xbox 360? Because when you see it, you'll turn 360 degrees and walk away" 

Stromprophet said:You're also not considering the fact that PS3 is getting supplemental sales as a Blu-ray player. Or the fact the M$ has said they will price drop the 360 this year, probably in the fall I think, which will be stiff competition to the Wii because they can't price drop proportionally. i.e. likely drop 250 --> 200, 360 400 --> 300, one is a 20% drop the other 33% drop. Also *if* 360 price drops you can bet Sony will price drop simply because they won't have a choice.
Slight math err. 250-> 200 is a 20% drop, but 400 -> 300 is not a 33% drop, it's a 25% drop I think that Xbox 360 is moving fine. I think that the 360 is hitting all of MS target for this generation, which is to beat PS3. I think that with PS3 getting fewer and fewer exclusives (as PS3 exclusives are porting to 360, making them non-exclusives) and MS winning the online war, MS is very happy in it's current position. Nintendo was an x-factor in this gen, so MS is surprised as everyone else was in the strong performance of the Wii. But ultimately, the target is PS3 and it's doing well. There might be a price drop, but it might be at end of year to fight the x-mas wars, otherwise there is no real incentives to drop prices on a well selling console with the best library (so far) in the current gen

Sintinel said: You do know the 3rd best selling game of the year for 2006 in North America was none other than a Mario game, right? New Super Mario Brothers has sold 2.4m in its first 9 months. Halo 1 sold 1.5m in its first 9 months.
And why was this? 1) Halo was practically a launch title for the Box, so thus there was a small base. 2) No one had seen anything like Halo but once it caught on it started to be a console seller 3) How much did Halo 2 sell? 3.5 million in the first month it was out in the US. Lastly other titles would have easily outsold Mario if they were released earlier. Guitar Hero II, FFXII, Gears of War. And New Super Mario Bros was on DS. Selling on a handheld is slightly different than selling on a console. Game price is different and the support base is different.

Alacrist said: Strom, I think John meant that Mario and Samsh Bros. will sell more Wii's than Halo and GTA will sell 360's, in that case then yeah Mario and Smash Bros. beats Halo and GTA. Another thing this is Halo's third game this is Mario ??(I don't know) point being a series that has that many games with the same person still sell 5.8 million is really good but who knows how Master Cheif will sell in 20 years? It'll be a while before we find out.
What are you talking about? It's entirely well documented that once Halo caught on it was selling the Xbox. In fact Halo was the reason Xbox was able to actually outsell PS2 a few months in the US. I talked to people who only had an Xbox for that game and only that game. I can't remember how many times I heard that in college, "I got my xbox for Halo" Halo is just that, a system seller. GTA sold like 15 million copies and a lot of PS2s. In ability to SELL systems Halo and GTA own just about every other franchise right now. It's just not a mario world anymore anymore. And I was talking about the US market, which is much more inclined to FPS and GTA style games.

vanguardian1 said: DAmnit, why do I feel like the only one in the world who loved Mario Sunshine?!?!?
Don't worry, I had fun with the game. It's not a crappy game...just not that great is all. Also short.

LEFT4DEAD411.COM
Bet with disolitude: Left4Dead will have a higher Metacritic rating than Project Origin, 3 months after the second game's release.  (hasn't been 3 months but it looks like I won :-p )