By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Sales Discussion - Worldwide Wii sales are now only 4 million behind Xbox360 - closing the gap

Well ... I have seen several articles discuss how the adoption rate of both HD-DVD and Blu-Ray are slow (even with the aid of the consoles) ... In fact, you could argue that the winning format is video on demand from most cable companies because it has been growing at an alarming rate ...

Around the Network

Indeed, even if BluRay prevails in the end the format-war may have created enough delay and uncertainty that physical media is passed entirely in favour of digital download.

Who cares? Wii doesn't affect 360. 360 will beat the PS3, that's what counts.. Wii is like a toy..the real system battle is 360 vs PS3. ---------- ROFL The typical nerd who thinks that technology is the pwn and who thinks is mature enough. You're sad, maybe you should get out of your mom's house now?

Worldwide Wii will probably surprass the 360 this year. In the US it's going to be a while longer, if ever. Halo 3 will sell the 360 to a lot of US gamers. In Europe and of course Japan the 360 has no chance against the Wii, but they do have some shot in the US. However I think it's only a matter of time before the Wii is the leading console in all major markets. Long term I think the PS3 wins overall, though that's a topic for a different time.

I'm laughing at all the posts that say Wii can't beat XBox 360 this year. LAUGHING! Have you people been paying attention to these charts? If VGCharts.org's figures are correct, Wii is gonna pass XBox 360 within the SUMMER! YES! They will surpass XBox 360 by the summer. XBox 360 has been at that 9 million mark for a while now while Wii seems to move a million a month! In the Americas figures alone Wii is between the 1/3 & 1/2 mark of all XBox 360 sales. Practically 40% of XBox 360's sales right NOW. Do the math: 40% of 5.82 = 2.328 or 5.82 X .40 = 2.328 ~> 2.33 (rounded off) 40% of 5.82 million is roughly 2.33 million Wii has 2.29 million. Do you see how close that is? Wii is on its way to not only SHIPPING 6 million worldwide by March but SELLING 6 million by March according to the charts VGCharts.org put together. April, May, June at a million a month and Wii will be breathing down the neck of Microsoft's Green & White baby. Within that summer whatever worldwide amount XBox 360 has sold (not shipped; as sold is the only thing that really matters) will be SURPASSED! And that will probably be in the 10 million range. And the sad thing is that it would have taken the 360 about a year & a half (18 months) to sell in the 10 million range while it took the Wii 8 months to do the same. A little less than HALF the time. And all this with a STILL low supply in the stores. All these months and we're STILL at practically launch fever??? Can you imagine when supply finally picks up and people are more easily able to pick a machine up? Wii's sales are limited to availability because demand is insane! People are buying this machine for their offices for God's sake! I just talked to a friend online who said that where she worked they are about to install a Wii. Sports bars adding Wiis & all this kind of stuff. More than just homes are buying Wiis now. The old system sellers are gonna be outclassed. Nintendo has redefined system sellers. Wii Sports, Wii Play & the rest of games like that move systems now. Halo 3 & MGS4 & FF XIII will sell but they are not the lynchpins they once were. And that is because the audience who would play those games vs. the audience who will play those Wii type games will be vastly different & that there is more audience for the Wii types. I have a 43-year old cousin who had no interest whatsoever in videogames since the beginning now actually wanting a Wii. Wii Sports interests him especially Wii Bowling since he's a bowler & when I told him Wii Play had billiards or pool his interest perked up even more. People are seriously underestimating this type of audience bringing in the numbers for Wii. In fact Wii has been underestimated on every level & THAT will be the mistake that will haunt the competition & the naysayers. It was played that way on purpose and we are seeing the results on the sales charts. I mean once Super Mario Galaxy comes out this holiday season & Nintendo unveils their full online playable titles we will be seeing NEW shortages & sellouts that will make Wii's representation on the charts baffling dumbfounding to disbelief! I predict by end of year we'll be seeing Wii be on its way to that 20 million mark probably even passed that. That is not hyperbole. Half a year they sell 10 million so why do you think the other half they can't sell 10 million? You know holiday sales give a little more oomph than rest of year, right? It's just 4 measly months and Wii is about to sell 6 million. Nobody in their right mind can look at this figure and see the Wii falling off. If so it's just blind hope & irrational disbelief in the legitmacy of the Wii console. Nintendo counts on being counted out. That's where they hurt you the most. But in the end sooner or later people are gonna recognize Wii as a force to be reckoned with. The Revolution they promised with this system is happening before your very eyes ready or not. The WiiDS Phenomenon http://www.popzart.com/viewtopic.php?topic=514 John Lucas

Words from the Official VGChartz Idiot

WE ARE THE NATION...OF DOMINATION!

Around the Network

You make it sound like Wii is outselling 360 by 1 million + per month and can catch up by July 1. Look at January Americas: Wii>360 by ~ 175,000 Japan: Wii>360 by ~ 375,000 Europe: Wii>360? 360>Wii? i suspect the former at 100,000 more or so That is 650,000/month. Feb-March will probably be more like 500,000. April will be 500,000 just in anticipation of Paper Mario /Golden week (Japan), maybe another 300k in the West. May-August probably back to 500,000 again. I say Wii can be within 1 million behind by August, but that it a far cry from being ahead by early summer. Again, November, October, September are the three most likely months of catching/passing 360. Halo 3 will be huge, but Nintendo will be going for the kill in Japan as DQIX, Smash Brothers and non-games carry the day to offset the 360 hype in the US. Catching up by July worldwide is outrageous. August is a huge long shot, but I'll give you this, it might just be possible (1-2%). September is unlikely, October is like 25%, November is close to 40%... But all of this assumes 360 has no games besides Halo 3 to drive hardware.

People are difficult to govern because they have too much knowledge.

When there are more laws, there are more criminals.

- Lao Tzu

TheSource said: You make it sound like Wii is outselling 360 by 1 million + per month and can catch up by July 1. Look at January Americas: Wii>360 by ~ 175,000 Japan: Wii>360 by ~ 375,000 Europe: Wii>360? 360>Wii? i suspect the former at 100,000 more or so That is 650,000/month. Feb-March will probably be more like 500,000. April will be 500,000 just in anticipation of Paper Mario /Golden week (Japan), maybe another 300k in the West. May-August probably back to 500,000 again. I say Wii can be within 1 million behind by August, but that it a far cry from being ahead by early summer. Again, November, October, September are the three most likely months of catching/passing 360. Halo 3 will be huge, but Nintendo will be going for the kill in Japan as DQIX, Smash Brothers and non-games carry the day to offset the 360 hype in the US. Catching up by July worldwide is outrageous. August is a huge long shot, but I'll give you this, it might just be possible (1-2%). September is unlikely, October is like 25%, November is close to 40%... But all of this assumes 360 has no games besides Halo 3 to drive hardware.
Well that's what I'm proposing. I see Wii besting the 360 within the month of July. By August We will see Wii pulling ahead. You gotta remember Wii sales are slowed because of demand keeping these things out of the stores for any decent period of time. It's only recently that I started seeing Wiis in stores and basically one or two at best. And these don't last long. When I got my copy of Wii Play it was the only one LEFT! I had to visit different stores to find it! The first time I was looking for it just came home empty handed. People are STILL having stories here in mid-March about not being able to find Wiis & waiting in lines to get one. The best source for this kind of info is talking to store clerks in the electronic depts. at Wal-Marts & stores like that. Folks who don't really care about games and are exasperated at the work put on them by these game system buyers. I've had mine since December the 6th after foolishly thinking I could just waltz in on launch day and get in line for a Wii at the last minute. FOOLISH! I never bought a system a launch before & basically lucked out getting that Wii because I work a night job & could get to the store in the early morning hours. My friend who went with me that launch day & wants a Wii still hasn't gotten one yet. Wii's sales are only held back by supply. That's all. Shipped DOES equal Sold (to customers not Sold to Retailers) when it comes to Wii because they are virtually sold out within minutes or hours upon reaching the stores. There are no Wii pyramids on the storeroom floor. Some people don't even know what the Wii box looks like. I'm not saying 360 can't sell & that Halo 3 won't move units. That's a given. I actually see Guitar Hero II on XBox 360 being a bigger system seller & seeing them put that against PS3's launch shows me Microsoft means business. Guitar Hero II on XBox 360: The Ramifications http://www.popzart.com/viewtopic.php?topic=340 But I guarantee you that we won't have to wait 'til fall to see Wii catching the 360. It will be the worldwide leader this summer I guarantee you. By holiday season will be start of its domination period which will carry it all the way through this generation as top system. By then it's not just gonna outsell the competition it's gonna overshadow the competition. You'll be seeing me on these boards, trust me. Just wait and see what the numbers say to see if I'm full of hot air or some other type of 'substance'. I call it for July. That's when we'll see Wii catch the 360. I call it for 20 million at Dec 31, 2007. That's the worldwide tally of sales for Wii. We'll just have to see if I'm right. I don't play the caution game when I see a sure thing. I don't like hedging bets. I'm very confident in my predictions. John Lucas

TheSource said: You make it sound like Wii is outselling 360 by 1 million + per month and can catch up by July 1. Look at January Americas: Wii>360 by ~ 175,000 Japan: Wii>360 by ~ 375,000 Europe: Wii>360? 360>Wii? i suspect the former at 100,000 more or so That is 650,000/month. Feb-March will probably be more like 500,000. April will be 500,000 just in anticipation of Paper Mario /Golden week (Japan), maybe another 300k in the West. May-August probably back to 500,000 again. I say Wii can be within 1 million behind by August, but that it a far cry from being ahead by early summer. Again, November, October, September are the three most likely months of catching/passing 360. Halo 3 will be huge, but Nintendo will be going for the kill in Japan as DQIX, Smash Brothers and non-games carry the day to offset the 360 hype in the US. Catching up by July worldwide is outrageous. August is a huge long shot, but I'll give you this, it might just be possible (1-2%). September is unlikely, October is like 25%, November is close to 40%... But all of this assumes 360 has no games besides Halo 3 to drive hardware.
Looking at prelim numbers for February, and the fact that the Japanese numbers have come down to 60k a week. I'd say that the pace will slow and it will take longer for Wii to overcome 360. Prelim numbers suggest Wii may outpace 360 by 100k in America. Probably by about 220k in Japan, and who knows about Europe. But I'd say at most it may outpace the 360 by 400k, which would put us about 10 months from now. However, if Halo comes out in the fall all bets are off and 360 might win the Holidays in the US. Plus we don't know if a 360 price drop is coming in the fall or not. If it does 360 will maintain their lead for longer.

Stromprophet said: But I'd say at most it may outpace the 360 by 400k, which would put us about 10 months from now. However, if Halo comes out in the fall all bets are off and 360 might win the Holidays in the US.
Super Mario Galaxy alone will not let Halo 3 make 360 the Holiday season winner. XBox 360 WILL have an impressive showing this year no doubt but to say holiday winner? I don't think so. Only if Super Mario Galaxy is pushed back to 2008 can Halo 3 put XBox 360 ahead. But somehow I just don't see that happening. I think they will keep their word on this release date for once. Then again maybe SMG may be supplanted by Super Smash Bros. Brawl which if released in its place may do similar if not more damage to the competition. We gotta see how Nintendo delivers that online play experience. If it's as well-executed as I'm thinking it will be, throw in the towel right now it's over. That ain't counting the supporting cast of Wii titles that'll move that system. Guitar Hero II will be a system mover for 360 alone and that's coming in a few weeks. The supporters of the Wii60 regime will be very happy regardless of what happens either way. The PS3 faithful will be the ones having to worry if these other systems start layin' the smack down like they're seeming to be able to do. Oh don't forget Metroid Prime 3 in June. Good God! Will summer droughts be a thing of the past now? John Lucas

Well what you dont get is that the X360 wont see a price cut .....more the opposite in fact .THe Zephyr with its HDMI port and bigger hard drive will cost more than the standar X360 .