By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Sales Discussion - Worldwide Wii sales are now only 4 million behind Xbox360 - closing the gap

It's not so much that the Wii has gained in sales, but that the 360 has lost a lot of sales. Why? I just can't beleive that this is b/c microsoft is losing the high-def DVD wars.

Around the Network

Diomedes1976 said: Well what you dont get is that the X360 wont see a price cut .....more the opposite in fact .THe Zephyr with its HDMI port and bigger hard drive will cost more than the standar X360 .
I could be wrong, but with the rumors that Microsoft is currently turning a profit on the XBox 360 I woudn't expect that a new version of the XBox 360 would cost more than the priemium model ...

Metroid Prime 3 will not be out this June...

People are difficult to govern because they have too much knowledge.

When there are more laws, there are more criminals.

- Lao Tzu

TheSource said: Metroid Prime 3 will not be out this June...
Maybe July/August though? The game is pretty much complete as far as we know...and perhaps the only thing we're waiting on is probably online multiplayer...which will be led by Pokemon first... And please people, stop making stupid posts saying Wii is just a toy, and PS3/360 is the only real console war. They're ALL toys, and damn fun ones.

LEFT4DEAD411.COM
Bet with disolitude: Left4Dead will have a higher Metacritic rating than Project Origin, 3 months after the second game's release.  (hasn't been 3 months but it looks like I won :-p )

TheSource said: Metroid Prime 3 will not be out this June...
Well I just saw that from Wikipedia while I was reading up on it. They had USA date as June 1, 2007. Coulda been vandalism. Someone put "Stinky Faeces" as the entry for the Wii a few days ago. Very funny. Yes, I'm a happy Wii owner in case you're wondering. Very happy. But it was still funny. John Lucas

Words from the Official VGChartz Idiot

WE ARE THE NATION...OF DOMINATION!

Around the Network

BenKenobi88 said: And please people, stop making stupid posts saying Wii is just a toy, and PS3/360 is the only real console war. They're ALL toys, and damn fun ones.
THANK YOU! I don't get this silliness either. Gamesystems have ALWAYS been toys. High-tech TOYS. STILL...TOYS. Don't they call it a "PlayStation" after all? In pro wrestling jargon they call that kind of delusion "being a mark for the business". John Lucas

Words from the Official VGChartz Idiot

WE ARE THE NATION...OF DOMINATION!

dallas said: It's not so much that the Wii has gained in sales, but that the 360 has lost a lot of sales. Why? I just can't beleive that this is b/c microsoft is losing the high-def DVD wars.
It's very true that the 360 is performing to some extent below expectations. In the US it's doing very well, but it's not doing as well in Europe, and it doesn't look like it's going to be that much of a step up from last gen in Japan. Even in the US it should be doing better. It's a system built to be successful in the US and it still gets outsold by the PS2. I think its problem is expanding its base beyond the hardcore gamer. If things don't pick up this year the 360 could easily find itself as a third place system as soon as 2008.

I think 360 may be poised to do 3 million in NA in the Xmas quarter, especially if GTA4 comes out in October. While I think if Nintendo delivers, say, Mario in October, Health Pack directly opposite the Halo launch in November, Smash Bros in the first week of December, Tiger Woods 08 in the holiday time frame, and other potential megahits like DDR or Guitar Hero in the time frame as well, I think they could EASILY top the demand, I don't know if they can deliver the units. Nintendo will be dealing with WW demand, probably with continued production ramp ups, and this after having a hard time keeping up with demand at least through the spring. Microsoft won't have those issues, and might be able to deliver more units, and beat Wii during the holiday in NA... So when Wii catches 360 in NA is an interesting question... I think its inevitable, but I doubt its happening in 2007... WW... Still in the holidays... Wii will outperform 360 by a lot in Europe and by tons and tons in Japan... Love the avatar, johnlucas.

"[Our former customers] are unable to find software which they WANT to play."
"The way to solve this problem lies in how to communicate what kind of games [they CAN play]."

Satoru Iwata, Nintendo President. Only slightly paraphrased.

I really don't think nintendo is in any rush to release their system sellers because the systems are already moving on their own. Metriod prime 3 was supposed to be a launch game. Retro studios is too veteran to need another YEAR to meet a deadline! They are either really polishing metriod prime 3 up, adding online play, or moved on to the next game (kid icarus anyone?). Who knows if nintendo would do such a thing (hold a finished game until they needed more momentum/system sellers). What do you guys think?

I think that they held it back for a couple of reason, one of which you touched on. 1. zelda and mp at launch would have seriously killed off any major chances of 3rd parties selling anything. red steel would have lost majorly to mp3. So it was a wise move for Nintendo to push it back on that note alone. 2. many previews of the game stated that they were having some control issues similar,yet better than, red steel. Nintendo does not release games that are not perfect in thier eyes. Also, with the relative good success of MP:hunters online capability on DS I would bet they are adding a good halo style online fight modes.