By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Sales Discussion - The 360 a software monster? The Wii a software wimp? I don't think so...

unfortunately this graphic suffer form the same thing all like it suffer from the inability to remove bundled software from all platforms, and no way to track used game sales.

nice try though always a fun time with graphs

come play minecraft @  mcg.hansrotech.com

minecraft name: hansrotec

XBL name: Goddog

Around the Network
theRepublic said:

By dividing TWO by the total amount of software sold, we can obtain the average number of weeks between software purchases (I haven't come up with any good abreviations for this so any suggestions are welcome). 

WBP: Weeks between Purchases.

BHR-3 said:
i dont get the whole TWO i have to check it out some other time wen i have more time but did u factor in the wii sports that comes with every wii i know the hds also had bundles but you need to come up with some kind of % to take out for the wii sports maybe like 75% I dont know something

Where on Earth did that figure come from?

I like the lemon pie,..

''Halo reach''.. sell 7.m first week ,Believe¡¡¡¡¡¡

HappySqurriel said:

...even though Okami sold more on the Wii than PS2...

Just jumping in to point out that this isn't the case. This site's data is highly incomplete: Okami Wii's worldwide sales are roughly equivalent to the Okami PS2's America sales, from what Sven said.

HappySqurriel said:
BTFeather55 said:
MANUELF said:
BTFeather55 said:
I guess it depends upon what you're looking for. Games like Gears and Halo III sell in large amounts on the 360 while games like Madworld and No More Heroes that would pass 1 million on 360 don't do so well on Wii.

On the other hand games like Brazt Party Babies, Wii Fit, and jrpgs sell much better on the Wii than they would on the 360.

Those games were builded around the motion, you can't make those game in a normal controller, is like Wii Sports in any other console, it is not the same and I doubt they would sold better on 360.

I don't know. The 360's audience seems geared more towards hyper violent games to me than the Wii one is.

Right ... So what games similar to MadWorld have sold Millions on any console?

Your rhetoric is getting pretty old though, even though Okami sold more on the Wii than PS2 and No More Heroes is Suda 51's best selling game you're still under the delusion that these games would be more popular on another console. The question is why would they be more successful ...I dont agree with him on his reasoning, but without the software actually coming to another platform we will never know if it would have sold better, I considered getting okami for a long time, but i moved to the 360 round the time i had the money for it, if they had made a port i would have picked it up. there is always the danger when making games late/early in a transitional period that no matter how good it is it may get passed over.

on top of that outside of first parties the production of exclusive games just hurts the producer of the game in revenues profits unless they have a track record of ports failing to turn a profit for them.

I have o say I think madworld would have done better if multiplatformed. okami would bring in more profits if they

I dont agree with him on his reasoning, but without the software actually coming to another platform we will never know if it would have sold better, I considered getting okami for a long time, but i moved to the 360 round the time i had the money for it, if they had made a port i would have picked it up. there is always the danger when making games late/early in a transitional period that no matter how good it is it may get passed over.

on top of that outside of first parties the production of exclusive games jsut hurts the producer of the game in revenus profits unless they have a track record of ports fialing to turna profit for them.

I have o say I think mad world would have done better if multiplatformed. okami would bring in more profits if they would put it out as downloadabe game on 360/ps3, and no more heros would do the same.

the question should be is why are very sucsefull genras on other consoles sturgling to sell percentage equvelent on the wii. 

my question in general is why is there not a mainline mario 2d game on the wii come on nintendo 3d is nice and all but mario is the man at 2d supermario brothers 3 #2, you can make another movie hyping the game, just like with the last super mairo brothers 3

come play minecraft @  mcg.hansrotech.com

minecraft name: hansrotec

XBL name: Goddog

Around the Network
BHR-3 said:
i dont get the whole TWO i have to check it out some other time wen i have more time but did u factor in the wii sports that comes with every wii i know the hds also had bundles but you need to come up with some kind of % to take out for the wii sports maybe like 75% I dont know something

TWO is calculated like this...

For the 360, we are currently in week 175.  The number of consoles sold in week 1 are multiplied by 175, week 2 is multiplied by 174, week 3 is multiplied by 173, ... , and finally week 175 is multiplied by 1.  Then the results are all added together to get TWO.

As for Wii Sports, it is included in the software totals for this site, so yes I included it.  The reason I did not take it out is because Wii Sports is one of the most played games according to the Nintendo Channel data.  Wouldn't people just keep playing Wii Sports instead of buying more games?

EDIT: http://vgchartz.com/forum/post.php?id=1849933

Wii Sports is the 7th most played game and is 3rd in number of sessions.

Switch Code: SW-7377-9189-3397 -- Nintendo Network ID: theRepublic -- Steam ID: theRepublic

Now Playing
Switch - Super Mario Maker 2 (2019)
Switch - The Legend of Zelda: Link's Awakening (2019)
Switch - Bastion (2011/2018)
Switch - Mario Kart 8 Deluxe (2014/2017)
3DS - Star Fox 64 3D (2011)
3DS - Phoenix Wright: Ace Attorney (Trilogy) (2005/2014)
Wii U - Darksiders: Warmastered Edition (2010/2017)
Mobile - The Simpson's Tapped Out and Yugioh Duel Links

goddog said:
unfortunately this graphic suffer form the same thing all like it suffer from the inability to remove bundled software from all platforms, and no way to track used game sales.

nice try though always a fun time with graphs

Used games don't make money for publishers or developers.

I already explained why I think Wii Sports should be included.

Switch Code: SW-7377-9189-3397 -- Nintendo Network ID: theRepublic -- Steam ID: theRepublic

Now Playing

^ Also in this case it seems to me that bundled software should be counted just as much as bundled hardware should be counted.

Tag (courtesy of fkusumot): "Please feel free -- nay, I encourage you -- to offer rebuttal."
- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -
My advice to fanboys: Brag about stuff that's true, not about stuff that's false. Predict stuff that's likely, not stuff that's unlikely. You will be happier, and we will be happier.

"Everyone is entitled to his own opinion, but not his own facts." - Sen. Pat Moynihan
- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -
The old smileys: ; - ) : - ) : - ( : - P : - D : - # ( c ) ( k ) ( y ) If anyone knows the shortcut for , let me know!
I have the most epic death scene ever in VGChartz Mafia.  Thanks WordsofWisdom! 

noname2200 said:
theRepublic said:

By dividing TWO by the total amount of software sold, we can obtain the average number of weeks between software purchases (I haven't come up with any good abreviations for this so any suggestions are welcome).

WBP: Weeks between Purchases.

I like it.

I'll change it whenever I next update my graphs.

Now Playing

HappySqurriel said:
BTFeather55 said:
MANUELF said:
BTFeather55 said:
I guess it depends upon what you're looking for. Games like Gears and Halo III sell in large amounts on the 360 while games like Madworld and No More Heroes that would pass 1 million on 360 don't do so well on Wii.

On the other hand games like Brazt Party Babies, Wii Fit, and jrpgs sell much better on the Wii than they would on the 360.

Those games were builded around the motion, you can't make those game in a normal controller, is like Wii Sports in any other console, it is not the same and I doubt they would sold better on 360.

I don't know. The 360's audience seems geared more towards hyper violent games to me than the Wii one is.

Right ... So what games similar to MadWorld have sold Millions on any console?

Your rhetoric is getting pretty old though, even though Okami sold more on the Wii than PS2 and No More Heroes is Suda 51's best selling game you're still under the delusion that these games would be more popular on another console. The question is why would they be more successful ...

Also @Manuelf and Noname2200

Dead Rising sold 1.65 M on the 360 and only 100,000 on the Wii.  Like another earlier poster said, there's no way to know how these games would have sold on 360 if they're never released there.  But, I feel that both of these games would have tapped into an American aesthetic that would have appealed greatly to 360 users.  Both of those games are much more American and what 360 users would be looking for in a game than Okami for example.  Madworld with its very Sin City esque graphics would have appealed to 360 owners and Travis Touchdown is a very Johnny Knoxvillian character.   Travis Touchdown as a character would appeal greatly to most 360 gamers, so for those reasons I think No More Heroes and Mad World would have sold quite well on the 360. 

Heavens to Murgatoids.